Liquidity, latest on how long NCL can last...

oteixeira

It seems to me that Frank Del Rio and Richard Fain (RCCL), are getting "chummy" lately, on mutually beneficial means to survive the pandemic and implement new procedures.   I am just wondering if this might possibly be a precursor to some deeper business relationship between the two companies....🤔

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I am just wondering if this might possibly be a precursor to some deeper business relationship between the two companies....

Maybe some kind of "code sharing" system like the airlines use?  That would allow RCI to book cruises on NCL, acting almost like a TA?

Wait, that won't work well.  If you browse the Royal Caribbean board you'll see that RCI's IT has a hard enough time keeping the site running well enough to book cruises on RCI ships!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Maybe some kind of "code sharing" system like the airlines use?  That would allow RCI to book cruises on NCL, acting almost like a TA?

Wait, that won't work well.  If you browse the Royal Caribbean board you'll see that RCI's IT has a hard enough time keeping the site running well enough to book cruises on RCI ships!

Let's hope Royal's IT never merges with Norwegian's customer service.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I am sticking behind my belief that public perception of cruising has been damaged. 

I agree with you.  I follow several other travel (non-cruise) message boards and have seen so many negative comments on cruising.  Lots of people expressing the sentiment, "I've never been on one of those cruise ships and now I will NEVER consider it!"  There's a very strong anti-cruise attitude.  Also, among our own friends and relatives the opinion that cruise ships are dangerous floating petri dishes has really taken hold.  I've been asked several times if we will stop cruising and the implication is that we are foolish to continue.

On the other hand, people have remarkably short memories.  Example:  Only a few years ago our area was absolutely pummeled by Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane Irene.  Amazingly, people seem to have amnesia.  Currently they are paying top dollar for waterfront properties.  Go figure.

• Like 2

@Travelling2Some my extended family have all loved cruising, so they aren't bought into the 'floating petri dish' concept the media is pushing; but their biggest fear is a mandatory quarantine. I know that I will not be booking anything less than a balcony for quite some time and if I got quarantined it would not be a huge issue since I'm now retired.  But my friends/family that work will simply not take the chance of an uninvited extended vacation which could jeopardize their jobs. Hopefully the short memory you speak of will kick in, but what if that takes 2-3 years? 

Not that I would ever want to be quarantined, but I believe it would be extremely shaky legal ground for an employer to terminate someone for being away from work as the result of a government mandated quarantine.

For the record I have three NCL bookings under deposit the first sailing being October 2021 which I am hoping will be reasonably normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Not that I would ever want to be quarantined, but I believe it would be extremely shaky legal ground for an employer to terminate someone for being away from work as the result of a government mandated quarantine.

Florida is classified as a right to work state and you can be terminated any time for basically any reason. Actually they don't really need to give a reason.

So if you decide to go on vacation and get 14 days, then you obviously valued the vacation more than the job. You had to know there was/is a possibility.

Steve

I too have a 11/21 cruise booked, 2 in 2022 and 4 in 2023

• Like 1