A very interesting read...

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

It may just come down to not allowing the at risk groups to cruise for awhile. 

That's fair, because the data suggests its not deadly for the VAST majority of us.  1 in 5 will get bad symptoms (CDC)

BUT

Doesn't mean that we should all go on cruises and expose one another and then go about our way after the cruise flying all over the country exposing more people.  

I personally believe the more people that get it the faster we can be done with this.  But, I don't think we should be cruising.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

That's fair, because the data suggests its not deadly for the VAST majority of us.  1 in 5 will get bad symptoms (CDC)

BUT

Doesn't mean that we should all go on cruises and expose one another and then go about our way after the cruise flying all over the country exposing more people.  

I personally believe the more people that get it the faster we can be done with this.  But, I don't think we should be cruising.  

I agree. 

7 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

That is patently false.  

www.cdc.gov

Among adults, the risk for severe illness from COVID-19 increases with age, with older adults at highest risk. Severe illness means that the person with COVID-19 may require hospitalization, intensive care, or a ventilator to help them breathe, or they may even die.

Risk for Severe Illness Increases with Age

As you get older, your risk for severe illness from COVID-19 increases. For example, people in their 50s are at higher risk for severe illness than people in their 40s. Similarly, people in their 60s or 70s are, in general, at higher risk for severe illness than people in their 50s. The greatest risk for severe illness from COVID-19 is among those aged 85 or older.

There are also other factors that can increase your risk for severe illness, such as having underlying medical conditions. By understanding the factors that put you at an increased risk, you can make decisions about what kind of precautions to take in your daily life.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)-Associated Hospitalization

As you get older, your risk of being hospitalized for COVID-19 increases. Everyone, especially older adults and others at increased risk of severe illness, should take steps to protect themselves from getting COVID-19.

Edited by CSHS1979

2 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Among adults, the risk for severe illness from COVID-19 increases with age, with older adults at highest risk. Severe illness means that the person with COVID-19 may require hospitalization, intensive care, or a ventilator to help them breathe, or they may even die.

Risk for Severe Illness Increases with Age

As you get older, your risk for severe illness from COVID-19 increases. For example, people in their 50s are at higher risk for severe illness than people in their 40s. Similarly, people in their 60s or 70s are, in general, at higher risk for severe illness than people in their 50s. The greatest risk for severe illness from COVID-19 is among those aged 85 or older.

There are also other factors that can increase your risk for severe illness, such as having underlying medical conditions. By understanding the factors that put you at an increased risk, you can make decisions about what kind of precautions to take in your daily life.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)-Associated Hospitalization

bingo

In general, your risk of getting severely ill from COVID-19 increases as you get older. In fact, 8 out of 10 COVID-19-related deaths reported in the United States have been among adults aged 65 years and older.

high-risk-80-percent.jpg

3 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

bingo

I think you and I agree mostly. Some people are more at risk that others, but most people are at risk. 

EDIT - Piggybacking off a post above, if 8/10 deaths are from people 65+, 2/10 deaths are from people under 65. 

Edited by zekekelso

But not just older folks at risk

Summary of Recent Changes
Revisions were made on July 17, 2020 to reflect recent data supporting increased risk of severe COVID-19 among individuals with cancer. The listed underlying medical conditions in children were also revised to indicate that these conditions might increase risk to better reflect the quality of available data currently. We are learning more about COVID-19 every day, and as new information becomes available, CDC will update the information below.

People of any age with certain underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:

People of any age with the following conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19:

Cancer
Chronic kidney disease
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
Sickle cell disease
Type 2 diabetes mellitus
COVID-19 is a new disease. Currently there are limited data and information about the impact of underlying medical conditions and whether they increase the risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Based on what we know at this time, people with the following conditions might be at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:

Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
Cystic fibrosis
Hypertension or high blood pressure
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
Neurologic conditions, such as dementia
Liver disease
Pregnancy
Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
Smoking
Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus

Just now, zekekelso said:

I think you and I agree mostly. Some people are more at risk that others, but most people are at risk. 

What do you mean at risk? 

At risk to contract COVID19?  Yes , we are all at risk 

At risk to die from COVID19? No, the vast majority of us are not at risk.  Statistics don't lie.

29 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:
27 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

....... lots of medical journals about this topic .....  www.google.com ........

..... maybe you watch too much Corona News Network ......

if there‘d be the 80% infection rate, the virus would die out and we‘d reach herd immunity.

now compare this to the exploding numbers in the Americas....

Edited by Yoshikitty

11 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

EDIT - Piggybacking off a post above, if 8/10 deaths are from people 65+, 2/10 deaths are from people under 65. 

Correct, but that's a very wide age range. What are the deaths 50 and under?

2 minutes ago, Yoshikitty said:

if there‘d be the 80% infection rate, the virus would die out and we‘d reach herd immunity.

Give it time. Numbers are up but so many people while testing positive are asymptomatic and there isn't much mask use or social distancing going on.

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

There is growing consensus that vaccines may not even be needed as it's possible that over 80% of the world population already has immunity to Covid-19. You'll never hear this from the MSM though. 

Based on numbers in the US I believe that it's inevitable that businesses and cruises will be able to open again in 2021. If they're not allowed to open there will be major lawsuits filed to recoup lost revenue. Maybe that's why the cruise lines are being so patient and still accepting bookings?

It's also entirely possible that they won't allow at risk people to cruise......

All just theories at the moment. 

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863

9 minutes ago, Yoshikitty said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983

Spanish Study in Lancet casts doubt on Herd Immunity Feasibility

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983

Spanish Study in Lancet casts doubt on Herd Immunity Feasibility

They're basing this on antibodies, you don't develop antibodies against the common cold either. Did anyone develop antibodies against SARS in 2003? No vaccine, and it went poof. I'm not suggesting that Covid-19 will also "go poof" but it's entirely possible as it is in the same family as SARS. 

After SARS we got one heck of a concert in a city park in Toronto......I hope we get that again. 

On 7/23/2020 at 1:59 PM, TheMastodon said:

....... lots of medical journals about this topic .....  www.google.com ........

..... maybe you watch too much Corona News Network ......

OH I thought it was the Clinton Network News!?

On 7/23/2020 at 2:27 PM, Yoshikitty said:

The virus does not die out when herd immunity is achieved.

It just means it spreads very slowly as the likelihood of an infected person coming into contact with a non-immune person is low.  

And the point where herd immunity occurs depends on how infectious the disease is.  

Look at small pox and how it was eradicated in the wild.

could all the new bookings be the people who have had their cruise cancelled, too the FCC and then BOOKED another cruise for sometime in 2021?

Lot of people cancelled, a lot of people booking