Adventure Bound Juneau vs Kenai Fjords Nat Park Cruise?

M&M cruiseaholics

Sure have-  multiple times.     For me,  there is never any con.    Each stands on it's own,  and  are certainly top choices.    

Details are important with Kenai Fjords tour selections.    My opinion,  I never consider less than 6 hours on the water.    These tours,  are scenic varied wildlife opportunities.    An excellent opportunity for wildlife in the wild.  🙂    Certainly superb glacier viewing too.    I repeat these tours over and over.  3-5 trips every year.     You are best to know what motion sickness,  prevention.  is a good choice for you.   I've seen hundreds of ill people.  

Tracy Arm-  is an extremely  scenic sailing.    You do have to have  a port time of at least 8a-  7pm-   which many ships don't allow this tour.    It's the journey that is the forte.   Some wildlife is usually seen.     It can be a very tough choice,  as Juneau certainly has plenty to see and do.    

Budget Queen nails it.  Kenai is the most varied wildlife/glacier trip I have taken in Alaska.  I'm aching to go back with my new camera lens.  I've only done the 6 hour and I would do nothing less than that.

Tracy Arm by Adventure Bound is just awesome scenery.  The blue icebergs are stunning as you enter the fjords.  Then the glacier faces and ice floes are amazing as well.  Do not assume that a cruise ship visit to Tracy Arm will make it anywhere close to the glaciers.  Small ships like Adventure Bound can and do get into places a cruise ship can only dream of.  But as Budget Queen said, your ship's Juneau itinerary will dictate whether you can do Adventure Bound.  I really don't understand why Adventure Bound doesn't depart a little little later in the morning to better accommodate cruise ship passengers.

So . . . don't try to choose between Kenai and Tracy Arm.  Do both if your itinerary permits.

Edited by quack2

3 hours ago, M&M cruiseaholics said:

Oh, I forgot a question.  Are the seas that rough that many can and do get seasick?

We always take sea sickness precautions when we cruise.  We take Bonine the night prior to boarding and don't stop until the cruise ends.  Perhaps this is why we have never been sick.  To answer your question, we have taken Adventure Bound and don't remember seeing anyone get sea sick.  As for the Kenai Fjord tour, we have taken multiple trips and have ALWAYS seen people suffering from sea sickness.  Many don't take precautions and some wait until they are sick to take something.  Check with your health care provider or pharmacist if interested in taking sea sickness as they could help you make the right choice for you.

4 hours ago, M&M cruiseaholics said:

Oh, I forgot a question.  Are the seas that rough that many can and do get seasick?

I have never once gotten seasick except for the Kenai Fjords tour.  BQ warned us so I even took a Dramamine the night before and the day of. It did not help! I was one sick puppy and I was not the only one. The face color of the day was green!

Edited by pizzalady1

9 hours ago, M&M cruiseaholics said:

I sail  Kenai Fjords, multiple times every year-   ( hope to make it this year),   since 1999,  and always see sick people.   I never recommend any remedy=   consult your health care professions.     Even the over the counter meds-  have side effects and are counter indicated for some.      

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 5:32 PM, Budget Queen said:

I sail  Kenai Fjords, multiple times every year-   ( hope to make it this year),   since 1999,  and always see sick people.   I never recommend any remedy=   consult your health care professions.     Even the over the counter meds-  have side effects and are counter indicated for some.      

Budget Queen:

Just FYI  Alaska has changed their Covid protocol. After 8/11 any non-resident must present a neg. test result taken within 72 hr. prior to entry into state. 2 week quarantine is not an option. They are still working on what action will be taken if req. is not met. When I arrived on 6/24 I had a choice of 2 wk. quarantine or taking test at airport{free} and another test after 7-14 days. Will be up here another week and do not want to go home. Weather has been great and so has the fishing!

16 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Budget Queen:

Just FYI  Alaska has changed their Covid protocol. After 8/11 any non-resident must present a neg. test result taken within 72 hr. prior to entry into state. 2 week quarantine is not an option. They are still working on what action will be taken if req. is not met. When I arrived on 6/24 I had a choice of 2 wk. quarantine or taking test at airport{free} and another test after 7-14 days. Will be up here another week and do not want to go home. Weather has been great and so has the fishing!

Thank you for the update. I’m keeping track of if.  Constant state of change