Covid infected crew on ship in Norway that had passengers

11 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I google translated this article. In the article there's also an audio interview with passengers "Martine and Theodore" who are currently onboard - see "Martine Interview"- maybe a French speaker here can listen and post what they are saying?  

Martine states that everyone on the ship is being tested and they are awaiting the results. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The American woman had documentation she was negative when leaving LAX.  It’s possible she contracted it while in Tahiti.

From LAX. Yikes! One of the worst areas in this country. She might have contracted traveling but she also might have had it and not tested positive yet when she took the test in the US.

Eventually folk will realize that just because you have a negative test that doesn't mean you definitely don't have it... you can test positive the next day.

• Like 3

On 7/31/2020 at 7:17 PM, Jimbo said:

Better work on those protocols, evidently it's not working!

Wait until the CDC sees this.........tack on another 4 to 6 months from the Spring 2021 start up

Yep.  But there are people on cruise critic booking December cruises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

From LAX. Yikes! One of the worst areas in this country. She might have contracted traveling but she also might have had it and not tested positive yet when she took the test in the US.

Eventually folk will realize that just because you have a negative test that doesn't mean you definitely don't have it... you can test positive the next day.

True she also could have contracted it on the ship --- who knows?  They are all being tested. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

The American woman had documentation she was negative when leaving LAX.  It’s possible she contracted it while in Tahiti. 

French Polynesia has had 62 cases in total and zero deaths.  
Their last new case was reported on June 28. I doubt very much  that she caught it in Tahiti. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, little britain said:

French Polynesia has had 62 cases in total and zero deaths.  
Their last new case was reported on June 28. I doubt very much  that she caught it in Tahiti. 

Now that they’ve opened up to flights and tourists from all over the world, they will probably have more cases.  All the passengers on the ship are being tested.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Yep.  But there are people on cruise critic booking December cruises.

And asking to provide documentation or a link from the person who tells them it won't sail. We should be happy that these people who are living in a utopia are willing to finance the cruise line. It means anyone who is waiting for a cash refund will be able to receive it somewhere down the line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Now that these small ships have tested the situation it is clear that cruising isn't any safer now than it was 6 months ago.

Crystal Cruises just announced no sailings for rest of 2020.  I’m sure other cruise lines will follow. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Anything is possible.  There are also false positives and false negatives.  While LA has been hit hard, it certainly did not originate there.  Large urban areas with major airports have had it pretty bad with the influx of people from all over the world. 

On 8/2/2020 at 7:38 AM, saintgeorge said:

Our final payment is due this week for our cruise on Anthem in October - if you know for certain that this will not go ahead I would love to know where you get your information from as it is still for sale in the UK at least

Here you go - as predicted:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

After further consulting with our partners at Cruise Lines International Association and in conjunction with the CDC, we have decided to extend the suspension of sailings for our global fleet for all sailings through October 31st, 2020. Our goal is to resume operations on November 1st, 2020. However, the following circumstances have extended the suspension for the following ships and sailings:

• European & Transatlantic sailings through the end of November.

The only 99.9% fool proof way to be sure a passenger does not have Covid is to do a test at boarding and get an immediate result. That is certainly not going to happen. Some islands now have a requirement of a negative test 10 days prior to boarding but that is, although better than nothing, not going to be that helpful as you can be negative today and positive the next day. Maybe one of those Covid sniffing dogs at boarding??

13 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

The only 99.9% fool proof way to be sure a passenger does not have Covid is to do a test at boarding and get an immediate result. That is certainly not going to happen. Some islands now have a requirement of a negative test 10 days prior to boarding but that is, although better than nothing, not going to be that helpful as you can be negative today and positive the next day. Maybe one of those Covid sniffing dogs at boarding??

Isn't the false negative and positive rate is higher than .1%?  If so, not even that is 99.9% foolproof. 

3 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

The only 99.9% fool proof way to be sure a passenger does not have Covid is to do a test at boarding and get an immediate result.

It only shows they aren't positive for Covid that day... they could still be incubating and become positive the VERY NEXT DAY. Especially if they traveled to get to the port.

The only fool proof is to put passengers in quarantine close to the dock so they don't have to travel to get on the ship... and then test at the end of quarantine. I don't see that happening.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

Just for the record, it was stated yesterday that the total number of COVID-19 infected from MS Roald Amundsen, has now increased to 62 (41 crew members and 21 passengers).

The list of errors made by Hurtigruten in connection with the handling of the COVID-19 outbreak on MS Roald Amundsen, seems to be extensive.

However, I was really surprised to read on the Message Boards under Hurtigruten and under a topic there, that it seems that questions can be asked, how well qualified the two doctors on board Hurtigruten's ship, MS Roald Amundsen are:

«One of the ship's doctors was deprived of his medical license twice. The other doctor did not have Norwegian authorization».

I must say I really hope that other cruise lines do a much better job in terms of hiring well qualified doctors with approved licenses on board their ships, than it seems that Hurtigruten has done in this case!

11 minutes ago, jakob71 said:

Just for the record, it was stated yesterday that the total number of COVID-19 infected from MS Roald Amundsen, has now increased to 62 (41 crew members and 21 passengers).

The list of errors made by Hurtigruten in connection with the handling of the COVID-19 outbreak on MS Roald Amundsen, seems to be extensive.

However, I was really surprised to read on the Message Boards under Hurtigruten and under a topic there, that it seems that questions can be asked, how well qualified the two doctors on board Hurtigruten's ship, MS Roald Amundsen are:

«One of the ship's doctors was deprived of his medical license twice. The other doctor did not have Norwegian authorization».

I must say I really hope that other cruise lines do a much better job in terms of hiring well qualified doctors with approved licenses on board their ships, than it seems that Hurtigruten has done in this case!

My wife has worked for the top Doctors at the top ranked Hospitals. I don't think any of them went through the education and training that they had to do, to get where they are today, just to end up on a cruise ship handing out sea sick medication, wrapping sprained ankles and arranging transportation for heart attack victims. 

• Like 1

The counts keep going up for some of these cruise lines.  Reports out of Italy over the weekend indicate that there are two more positive cases on the Costa Deliziosa bringing the total to four.  The Costa Favolosa has five positive cases.  

Even if they remove the infected crew immediately, there is an incubation period of around 14 days which means more crew members could end up positive between now and 14 days later.  Delays in restarting are sure to follow. 

16 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My wife has worked for the top Doctors at the top ranked Hospitals. I don't think any of them went through the education and training that they had to do, to get where they are today, just to end up on a cruise ship handing out sea sick medication, wrapping sprained ankles and arranging transportation for heart attack victims. 

This link may perhaps provide a more detailed information about the qualifications of the two doctors on board MS Roald Amundsen:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrk.no%2Ftromsogfinnmark%2Fskipslegen-meldte-aldri-om-korona-_-unn-brukte-to-minutter-pa-a-innse-alvoret-1.15111014%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1WMKuSz231nW381WmxnFCob6LACQQTMsZuVcodCl7stULJo2RlqWXZSM8

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Since business is slow you might as well make money some other way:

Tom Cruise has actually gone ahead and hired two cruise ships so that filming can be completed on his seventh Mission Impossible movie.

Nothing is Impossible for Tom Cruise!

Filming for the seventh Mission Impossible movie which stars Tom Cruise can finally wrap up soon thanks two Hurtigruten. The expedition cruise line has rented out two cruise ships to the movie production company Truenorth.

According to Norway Today, Tom Cruise is not prepared for any further delays on his seventh Mission impossible movie so has gone ahead with Truenorth to hire the MS Vesteralen and MS Fridtjof Nansen from Norwegian-based Hurtigruten.

The vessels are being rented out from the end of August until the end of September 2020 and it is believed the ships will house the filming crew and maybe even Tom Cruise himself! Truenorth has not detailed what the ships will specifically used for.

However, the Counselor of Stranda municipality has confirmed the MS Fridtjof Nansen that is docked in Hellesylt at the moment will be used as a hotel ship for the crew during filming. There will apparently be around 200 international and another 200 Norwegian workers involved in the filming.

The yet to be named seventh Mission Impossible movie is scheduled to be released in the U.S. on November 19, 2021, but if filming can’t be completed the release could have been delayed. The movie is being directed by Christopher McQuarrie and of course, is starring Tom Cruise along with Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, Henry Czemy, Rebecca Ferguson, and Vanessa Kirby.