Menu options on Viking

ClevelandKid

We have done two cruises on Viking Ocean, with another one signed up for.  We have generally liked the menu options available onboard, and we do recognize the limitations of having a floating kitchen, but as we head into our third cruise (still a year off), I would like to see how much interest exists for some sort of menu variation onboard.  The world cafe has many different kinds of dishes, but they can usually do only 5 to 7 different types of entrees, Manfredi's is Italian, and the Restaurant is nicely done American (steak, salmon, and chicken).  I wouldn't mind a small amount of rotating genres of dishes - Thai, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, etc.  I know the Chef's table does offer specialty dishes, but you take what is offered.  Even if it is only for room service and then only a couple of dishes a night.

We had destination menu addition to the Restaurant Menu once or twice a week. The destination included an appy, main course & dessert. Also found that if you request a specific dish it is included within 24 to 48 hrs.

• Like 2

We’ve done three 15 day Viking cruises (signed up for #4) and haven’t been bored with the food.  It appears that they are trying to offer customers a nice variety with Manfredi’s, the Chef’s Table (love it!), speciality stations at the World Cafe (seafood, pasta), and highlighted lunches and dinners at the Pool Grill (Scandinavian, BBQ).  We like the Main Dining Room very much and try not to miss lobster night!

We’ve sailed on another line that charged additional fees for speciality restaurants so I really appreciate the fact that everything is included on Viking.  If we ever do a World Cruise,  I’ll report back on the food. 😉

• Like 1

We found a great variety of food choices, and some of our best meals were in the Chef's Table. I know it is not something that appeals to every one, but the menus are available to see before you make a reservation. The Mexican one was outstanding, but not our usual tacos and fajitas that we think of as "Mexican" food. There was a specialty buffet in the Wintergarden for lunch one day that was a terrific Mexican selection of the standards.

For any newcomers to Viking who are reading this, I think your description of The Restaurant as "nicely done American" is misleading. While they do have an Always Available set of options (the salmon, steak, and chicken) there are at least three other choices each night, and most nights one of those is an International option, often related to the area where you are traveling. 

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ClevelandKid said:

I wouldn't mind a small amount of rotating genres of dishes - Thai, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

On a couple of our recent cruises, they have been using the Pool Grill space for themed meals (probably that space instead of the  Aquavit Terrace).

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Mamsen’s. We only visited it once during our first cruise but since that one it has become a favorite for lunch when we don’t want a heavy meal. We usually order a bowl of the soup of the day and two sandwiches and split it all. Like others, I haven’t had an issue with enough variety, my issue is having enough meals to get to have all my favorites more than once!

• Like 2

I found the variety of cuisines to be very appealing. On our Trade Routes in 2019, there were several Pool Grill special dinners, and three Chef's Table menus offered. And a number of informal Aquavit deck cook to order opportunities.

Lack of diverse menu choices wasn't a problem.

• Like 2