How are you all?

AndyMichelle

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thank you, Happy, that's very kind.

My problems are minimal by comparison with some, and I'm very lucky in having a very kind and forgiving wife who's equally affected by my need to remain shielded of course.  I met her many, many years ago before she started her initial nursing training in London back in the 60s (the days of nurses' homes - and being thrown out of them, even at 1pm, because 'Nurse - there's a man in your room!') and her knowledge, care and experience have been just incredible.  As I say, I am very lucky.  She also succeeded, where the local hospital had failed, to nurse me back to being able to eat and drink again after losing a couple of stone in a fortnight - an excellent carbonara tonight, fully home cooked!  

Tesco delivered some frozen battered haddock fillets today.  Not the same as proper fish and chips, but it will do for now, and in reality I eat very well indeed.  She's not just an excellent nurse, but an excellent cook - all manner of dishes, English and international!  Her brother's a chef - must run in the family.  I can do an omelette!  Fish and chips can wait for a while - I know where I'm going, but just not yet!  ☺️

Harry

Take care and stay safe Harry.

Graham

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thank you, Happy, that's very kind.

My problems are minimal by comparison with some, and I'm very lucky in having a very kind and forgiving wife who's equally affected by my need to remain shielded of course.  I met her many, many years ago before she started her initial nursing training in London back in the 60s (the days of nurses' homes - and being thrown out of them, even at 1pm, because 'Nurse - there's a man in your room!') and her knowledge, care and experience have been just incredible.  As I say, I am very lucky.  She also succeeded, where the local hospital had failed, to nurse me back to being able to eat and drink again after losing a couple of stone in a fortnight - an excellent carbonara tonight, fully home cooked!  

Tesco delivered some frozen battered haddock fillets today.  Not the same as proper fish and chips, but it will do for now, and in reality I eat very well indeed.  She's not just an excellent nurse, but an excellent cook - all manner of dishes, English and international!  Her brother's a chef - must run in the family.  I can do an omelette!  Fish and chips can wait for a while - I know where I'm going, but just not yet!  ☺️

Harry

Your wife sounds wonderful Harry.. 

We are lucky boys.. 

I have a vision of Hattie Jacques chasing you out of the nurses quarters with Kenneth Williams saying 'ooh Matron'. 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Your wife sounds wonderful Harry.. 

We are lucky boys.. 

I have a vision of Hattie Jacques chasing you out of the nurses quarters with Kenneth Williams saying 'ooh Matron'. 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Blimey it’s hot in Kent! My working from home ‘office’ is in my son’s old bedroom - it faces South 😞 I finished work at 1pm and I’ve only just cooled down now! Too hot for me, no air! John and I had a tentative arrangement to meet future daughter in law and grandson at a local park but we’ve all agreed it’s too hot, we’re going to try again next week!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Blimey it’s hot in Kent! My working from home ‘office’ is in my son’s old bedroom - it faces South 😞 I finished work at 1pm and I’ve only just cooled down now! Too hot for me, no air! John and I had a tentative arrangement to meet future daughter in law and grandson at a local park but we’ve all agreed it’s too hot, we’re going to try again next week!

It seems the hottest day so far. I think it’s because it’s so humid 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Pretty unbearable here as well. Thank goodness for a north-east facing bedroom.😊

Sounds similar to Stoke on Trent. Of course a nice sea breeze blowing across the balcony or open deck would make all the difference. 

• Like 5

Well hello all.  I would love to tell you that I am fine, but at 4 am this morning I had a call from a guy in the US to tell me that my ex-husband was fighting for his life in a Florida hospital and his wife had been killed.  Apparently they were hit head on by a pick-up truck yesterday afternoon in Jacksonville.  My ex has a severe chest crush injury, is intubated, although conscious.  He is nearly 90.  Strangely I am more upset about his 62 year old wife who was a sweet lady who made him very happy.  It's a nasty world sometimes.

• Like 8

So sorry, Jean. My late husband's first wife died eight years ago, and I understand what you mean - she was lovely (as are my step-daughters), we were great friends, and I still miss her enormously.

I hope your ex-husband makes a good recovery.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Well hello all.  I would love to tell you that I am fine, but at 4 am this morning I had a call from a guy in the US to tell me that my ex-husband was fighting for his life in a Florida hospital and his wife had been killed.  Apparently they were hit head on by a pick-up truck yesterday afternoon in Jacksonville.  My ex has a severe chest crush injury, is intubated, although conscious.  He is nearly 90.  Strangely I am more upset about his 62 year old wife who was a sweet lady who made him very happy.  It's a nasty world sometimes.

Oh Jean that is so sad and our thoughts are with you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So sorry Jean x

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So sorry Jean, what dreadful news.

46 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Such terrible news Jean. I'm so sorry. I do hope your ex husband soon recovers, and  my condolences for his wife. 

Avril 

• Like 1

His daughter is in Australia and can't fly over.  I think his recovery is doubtful.  She has spoken to the docs in Florida and they are having a hard time keeping his BP up.  He is intubated, but conscious and able to nod.  Awful.  It's strange, I am almost more sad to hear that his 62 year old wife has died.  He had a wonderful life, did everything he ever wanted to do and she was very happy with him.  So sad.

thank you all for your good wishes.  I am OK, just shocked.  I just hope they prosecute the guy who careered over to the wrong lane and hit them head on.  See here https://www.news4jax.com/traffic/2020/08/10/fhp-1-dead-in-crash-near-shands-bridge/

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

Thanks Graham.  I think we all feel we know each other a bit.  I didn't get much sleep last night, was woken at 4 with the phone call and then on the phone to Oz.  My step-daughter is a nurse married to a doc, so I think they got a lot more info out of the Florida doctors than just any family member.  She and I have a really good relationship.  Have known her since she was 11.  I used to come back from a flight and she had done all my ironing.  I can forgive a lot for that!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Jean, I am so sorry to hear your awful news, I do hope that you are coping with the shock and everything.

Yes I'm OK.   We met when I was flying.  He was a pilot. He had also been a tea-planter in Ceylon, then out in Bahrain as a pilot.  We divorced in 1989, just drifted, but remained very close friends and he is also a great friend of my "current" husband 🙂

Just sad that this has happened to two very nice people.  I think the next 48 hours will tell. 

everyone give your other half (if you've got one) a hug and if not, give yourself one.  We are all only here once, well unless you are a Buddhist, in which case you can come back and try again.  My ex liked Buddhism.

• Like 4