Booking a World Cruise Without Using a Travel Agent?

Smokeyham

11 hours ago, AWorldCruise4Me said:

I can't answer the question, but while we wait for someone to come along who can, would you be willing to say what overland excursions they are planning to offer?

We are only on the 56 day Dover to Sydney - no overland excursions in this sector.
You need to check into the May 18 2022 Coral Princess World Cruise - someone on that thread will know, maybe 🤔

20 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Question for other World Cruise travellers - how early do Princess usually release excursions for WC?

I ask because Corals WC ‘22 Excursions are now able to be booked (and paid for) and we are at around two years out. 
Could it be a ‘pandemic’ thing? Would you book before we even know their Covid Return Plan (were meant to release this late Sept)? Meaning, will we be restricted to ship only excursions etc.

Thoughts and answer to usual release time ........ thanks 🌹

We did the Sea's 2015 WC from Sydney. Can't remember when the shore-ex were available for booking, but do recall that we didn't have to purchase them in advance. Shore-ex costs were added to the onboard account and settled at the end of each segment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We did the Sea's 2015 WC from Sydney. Can't remember when the shore-ex were available for booking, but do recall that we didn't have to purchase them in advance. Shore-ex costs were added to the onboard account and settled at the end of each segment.

Thankyou for this. As we are only doing the one segment I am thinking that it will be different this time. And post Covid 🙄..... who knows?

Edited by Porky55

• 4 months later...
On 8/8/2020 at 10:15 PM, ArtsyCraftsy said:

I haven't been cruising that long (my first cruise was in September, 2017), but I've taken 6 1/3 cruises so far.  I travel solo so additional cost (single supplement) is a major factor in my planning.  

Most of my cruises have been longer -- 21+ days -- including part of a World Cruise.  I was on the ill-fated Regent Seven Seas 2020 World Cruise that ended early on March 17 in Fremantle (Perth), Australia after only 51 days.  And I currently have six more Regent cruises booked -- it would have been more, but two scheduled for this year have already been canceled (a 15-day Alaska trip scheduled for last month, and a 68-day South America trip scheduled for this fall/winter, both on Regent).  One of those six future cruises is the 2022 World Cruise (Elements of the Pacific -- 120 days, covering ports in Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Southeast Asia, China, Russia, and Alaska).  Another is a 94-day Arctic Adventure through the North Atlantic next summer (May 31 - Sep 2).

I haven't used a travel agent yet, preferring to book directly with the cruise line.  For me, it's more a matter of the level of control I want/need in handling questions/issues that might arise.  I prefer to deal directly with the cruise company rather than having to explain my issue or question to a travel agent and hope that they understood what I was asking when they then talk to the cruise line. Then there's a delay for the agent to get a response from the cruise company, and then relate it to me.  The risk is that the travel agent may have misunderstood either me or the cruise line's response.  I think I had a few too many negative experiences when I as traveling fairly frequently internationally on business some years ago.  I have to say that Regent was wonderful to work with as the World Cruise ended earlier this year.  I really think dealing directly with them helped with the relatively smooth operation to disembark, transfers to hotel in Perth, and business/first-class flights all the way home to Washington state in the US.  

If I'm dropping 6 figures on a world cruise, I really need to be able to get answers quickly and accurately.  I've talked to a few agents recommended by friends but I don't see the "value added" other than (perhaps) some additional OBC.  I already get OBC from the various promotions as well as stockholder benefits, and on Regent, it's difficult to spend it as everything is included in the fare.  For me, the stress level just isn't worth it.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

A 12 per cent discount is significant plus perks!

I can't find the post now but someone asked this question and the responses led me to think we should use one. In 25 years of traveling, we haven't,  but for a world cruise it's different.

Anyway, I contacted a travel agent from a large cruise travel agency in Seattle,  and she’s giving us much much higher prices and we saw on the Princess website . I don’t understand it.  I actually contacted three or four others there but they defer to the first one who responds. And  then I contacted someone else from a different agency that was recommended who also specializes in cruises.  I haven’t heard back from her in 4 days!

Have you tried Princess directly?  I have yet to use a travel agency for any of the traveling we have done.  I was most unhappy when I contacted a local travel agency to get info on a train trip in South Africa (that’s supposed to be the Orient Express of the trains in the area).  We won the safari at an auction, but they wouldn’t touch our travel arrangements because they weren’t getting the safari too.  I offered them the rest of the trip, and there was no interest.

So as a result, I book directly with the sites.

Yes I did and the cost on the Princess site for 3 people in a balcony stateroom was $24,000 LESS than what the TA quoted us ! Yes, the TA would give $4000 onboard credit  but still.  On the Princess site though it showed sold out but the TA said it had lots of availability. (On these boards someone posted not to worry if it shows sold out because some rooms  always open up, with deposits being refundable especially.)

I always do my own research, then call our TA to provide her the information and she makes the booking. With Viking, TA are restricted with pricing that cannot differ from the prices Viking have posted. We are also limited to CAN $500 pp OBC, which is the max that Viking permits TA's to provide.

It seems really strange that a TA wold quote prices higher than the cruise line, unless the TA purchased a block of cabins before the cruise line initiated a sale.

Unfortunately, we can't recommend TA's, but I would try some others, including local brick & mortar TA's in your area. Good luck getting it resolved.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 3:16 PM, BarbaraM said:

I prefer to do the research myself and book through a travel agent.  I never use the TA or Oceania for my air, and prefer to book myself.  

We normally book our own air too but I'm going to rethink that.  I was watching a YouTube video of a Canadian woman being interview after getting stranded in Australia when the pandemic hit.  If you used Holland American to book the air they made the arrangements for flights out of Australia when the WC 2020 was canceled.  

Those that booked their own air had to book their own arrangements.  This proved to be quite difficult as wifi on the ship was very spotty and only 4 phone lines were made available to passengers.  

Just a thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FoxyTerrier said:

We normally book our own air too but I'm going to rethink that.  I was watching a YouTube video of a Canadian woman being interview after getting stranded in Australia when the pandemic hit.  If you used Holland American to book the air they made the arrangements for flights out of Australia when the WC 2020 was canceled.  

Those that booked their own air had to book their own arrangements.  This proved to be quite difficult as wifi on the ship was very spotty and only 4 phone lines were made available to passengers.  

Just a thought...

We were on the Viking WC, but had a number of friends on the HAL WC.

Affirmative, if you booked HAL Air, they made the arrangements to get you home from Australia, but those without HAL air were basically stranded.

Compared that to Viking, who treated all pax equally, regardless if you purchased Viking Air. In Dubai, they made the arrangements to get everyone home. After Emirates stopped flying, they chartered an aircraft to fly the remaining pax home.

22 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It seems really strange that a TA wold quote prices higher than the cruise line, unless the TA purchased a block of cabins before the cruise line initiated a sale.

Agree that this seems odd.  Your explanation makes sense and now the TA is "stuck".  

22 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I always do my own research, then call our TA to provide her the information and she makes the booking.

My practice as well, although, I will rely on my TA if I have questions/concerns that I want a professional's advice.  More often than not, I will be aware of what specific staterooms are available and the cruise line's pricing before I call to make the booking.  I will do the same thing with air itineraries if I am going to try to use cruise line air.  World Cruise, long cruise, or not:  this is my usual practice for all cruises that I book.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sjde said:

And what would you do if your TA's quote came in a lot higher than what you found online? 

19 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

They get a 2nd chance, then they get dumped and I find a new one.

6 hours ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

I’d ask for an explanation first, but if the difference is huge, I’d find another agent.

Totally agree with the above posters.  Sometimes, an agent is "locked" into a price by his/her agency and there is no room for any negotiation--regardless of how much business one has given to an agency.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, rkacruiser said:

I always book directly with the cruise line.

Hal has a world cruise department.

Often they have cabins not posted .

I then transfer to my agent who gives a sizable discount on full world cruises.

Very easy process. 

Michelle

dj 8807 at g mail dot com

On 2/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, rkacruiser said:

Totally agree with the above posters.  Sometimes, an agent is "locked" into a price by his/her agency and there is no room for any negotiation--regardless of how much business one has given to an agency.  

On 4/1/2021 at 1:13 PM, 2Sojourners said:

I always book directly with the cruise line. for every cruise we take  I don't need a T.A. for that .it also saves time .

Hal has a world cruise department.

Often they have cabins not posted .

I then transfer to my agent who gives a sizable discount on full world cruises.

Very easy process. we have been doing it for over 20 years 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My perspective hasn't changed.  I compare prices between the cruise line and the big box.  I book with whichever one is cheaper, usually, but not always big box.  On my current WC booking, it was cheaper at the time to book with the cruise with the cruise line and then transfer the booking to big box.  That mover garnered me a big box gift card worth just under 10% of the cruise fare!

You gotta put the pencil to it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

My perspective hasn't changed.  I compare prices between the cruise line and the big box.  I book with whichever one is cheaper, usually, but not always big box.  On my current WC booking, it was cheaper at the time to book with the cruise with the cruise line and then transfer the booking to big box.  That mover garnered me a big box gift card worth just under 10% of the cruise fare!

You gotta put the pencil to it.

how did you change your direct booking to an agent?

20 minutes ago, BVILady said:

There's a form on the big box website in the help section at the top of their website home page.  You can fill it out online, download it and sign it, and then fax or email it to the cruise line.  I'd send you a link, but that would get me suspended for recommending a travel agent!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BVILady said:

With Viking, when we make the booking direct we simply request them to copy our TA, who is on file. She gets a copy of the booking and assumes control.

To transfer later, we call Viking and request they send a copy to our TA.

HAL has changed their booking transfer policy a few years ago. I used to be able to wait until a short time before the cruise to move the booking to an agent. Now it has to be done within a specific time (30 or 60 days??) after the initial reservation. My TA also gave me the form to fill out to send to HAL. I emailed it to them

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 1:03 PM, sandiego1 said:

HAL has changed their booking transfer policy a few years ago. I used to be able to wait until a short time before the cruise to move the booking to an agent. Now it has to be done within a specific time (30 or 60 days??) after the initial reservation. My TA also gave me the form to fill out to send to HAL. I emailed it to them

Princess has the same policy in place.  You have to transfer to a travel agent within 60 days of making the booking.