Best Greek Island Resort?

CelticMutt

Hi! We are on the Viking Sea for an 11 day cruise of Greece, Turkey and the Greek Islands (Santorini, Rhodes and Crete) in May 2021.  We are looking to extend our stay in the Islands for another 5 or 6 days.  We would appreciate any recommendations for an upscale resort on one of the islands. TIA!

Bill Robertson

• 1 month later...

Our British friends recommended Kephallonia, this island seems to be very popular among the Brits, especially the place called Skala, with an endless sandy beach.  As far as I understood Kephallonia is less touristic than other well-known islands like Crete, but I am not sure how faraway it is from your cruise stops and if it can be combined with a cruise like yours. 

3 hours ago, Fran2020 said:

Our British friends recommended Kephallonia, this island seems to be very popular among the Brits, especially the place called Skala, with an endless sandy beach.  As far as I understood Kephallonia is less touristic than other well-known islands like Crete, but I am not sure how faraway it is from your cruise stops and if it can be combined with a cruise like yours. 

We've been to both and enjoyed each of them, but when there’s a lot of British tourism it changes the resorts, British fry up for breakfast?  

Crete is massive and still very real,Greek.  There are pockets of touristic places but they are by far in the minority,  I would never say Crete is more touristic!   I really think you need to visit both.  It offers amazing ruins, stunning beaches, interesting towns, and places to get away from it all.   And as the OP wants upscale, Elounda is stunning and one of the top areas.

Edited by bennybear

On 9/22/2020 at 12:28 AM, bennybear said:

We've been to both and enjoyed each of them, but when there’s a lot of British tourism it changes the resorts, British fry up for breakfast?  

Crete is massive and still very real,Greek.  There are pockets of touristic places but they are by far in the minority,  I would never say Crete is more touristic!   I really think you need to visit both.  It offers amazing ruins, stunning beaches, interesting towns, and places to get away from it all.   And as the OP wants upscale, Elounda is stunning and one of the top areas.

Thanks Bennybear, 

I am truly impressed with the variety Greek tourism actually can offer! I was not so much in the topic until several friends told me they enjoyed Greek vacations more than the ones in France or Italy. It is of course very individual and Italy is just great in my point of view, but I did start to look deeper at what is available in Greece. Have you been to Corfu, Zakynthos and Halkidiki? Would highly appreciate your feedback on these too

We also love Italy and France, but truly a holiday in Greece is more relaxing and enjoyable in many ways. We have been to Corfu and Zakynthos.  We have visited Corfu several times while on a cruise and have enjoyed it.   We have stayed in Zakynthos for about a week and probably enjoyed it more than Corfu as it is less busy.   Personally, we don’t enjoy the British enclaves, we like the more Greek towns and villages like we find on Crete.  Haldiki is on our list but we know it is very popular.  

So my question for you, is what are you looking for?  

We enjoy great beaches, local towns with local restaurants, great scenery and some historical sites.  For us Crete can’t be beat.  But there are so many great islands and I think if you avoid the most well known you’ll have a great time.

23 hours ago, bennybear said:

We also love Italy and France, but truly a holiday in Greece is more relaxing and enjoyable in many ways. We have been to Corfu and Zakynthos.  We have visited Corfu several times while on a cruise and have enjoyed it.   We have stayed in Zakynthos for about a week and probably enjoyed it more than Corfu as it is less busy.   Personally, we don’t enjoy the British enclaves, we like the more Greek towns and villages like we find on Crete.  Haldiki is on our list but we know it is very popular.  

So my question for you, is what are you looking for?  

We enjoy great beaches, local towns with local restaurants, great scenery and some historical sites.  For us Crete can’t be beat.  But there are so many great islands and I think if you avoid the most well known you’ll have a great time.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply! What I am trying to do right now is to get a list of top 5-7 Greek Islands for a family summer holiday. No exact dates so far, no exact plan, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Our wish list is not too special - we would enjoy a cosy beach, good food, maybe some interesting places to visit (ancient town? Greece has an amazing culture and history). We would definitely like to avoid tourist crowds, so a small village is probably the best option. 

It really depends how long you have.  Crete needs a minimum of two weeks, but offers it all without wasting time  travelling between islands.   We have been going to Greece for many years.   We prefer minimum 5 nights per island, preferably a week or two and really explore that area.  We combined Kefalonia with Zakynthos  for example.  

Five to seven islands would be two or three trips.  

You will enjoy the Greek sunshine, food and people wherever you choose.   We’ve learned over many years you see and enjoy the trip more if it isn’t too hectic.   So my best advice pick one general area, you Will return as it is impossible to see it all.  Cruising gives you a taste of many islands, but it’s not the same experience but will provide an overview of where you may wish to go back and explore.

What a tough question.  We assume the OP is aware that there are more than 150 inhabited Greek Islands with dozens of them having decent hotels and resorts.  Choosing a favorite is really a matter of taste and circumstance.  Somebody with their own boat/yacht might decide to choose a nice resort on Corfu or one of the smaller Ionian Islands.  Many of us might opt for one of the smaller resort hotels on Santorini (especially in Oia).  Corfu is a huge island with many excellent resorts as is Rhodes.  But in the final analysis it is about your personal taste.  Would you be happy in a decent resort on an island with not much else, or would you prefer a resort/hotel on an island where there are more options once you leave the hotel?

Hank

On 9/26/2020 at 8:05 PM, bennybear said:

It really depends how long you have.  Crete needs a minimum of two weeks, but offers it all without wasting time  travelling between islands.   We have been going to Greece for many years.   We prefer minimum 5 nights per island, preferably a week or two and really explore that area.  We combined Kefalonia with Zakynthos  for example.  

Five to seven islands would be two or three trips.  

You will enjoy the Greek sunshine, food and people wherever you choose.   We’ve learned over many years you see and enjoy the trip more if it isn’t too hectic.   So my best advice pick one general area, you Will return as it is impossible to see it all.  Cruising gives you a taste of many islands, but it’s not the same experience but will provide an overview of where you may wish to go back and explore.

Thank you! I would assume we could spend around two weeks in total or a little less, so if you say combining Kefalonia and Zakynthos works well, definitely could be an option. 

• Like 1

We spent 9 days on Kefelonia last Sept.  We drove by, and stopped in Scala.  We were actually quite happy that we did not choose to stay there.  Too touristy, lots of British package holiday places.   We had come from Corfu.  After Kefelonia we went to Zakynthos for a week.   

We have been to Greece several times. Spent time on various islands including Crete...one of or favourites.   We very much enjoyed Kefelonia and Zakynthos.  One of our best trips to Greece.   I really think that you need four of five days on each of these islands and would not advise trying to cram both into a short time frame.

IF we go the other direction and end up on Crete our practice is to fly home from a European hub like London, Paris, or Rome.  That gives us a 'free weekend' in one of those cities.  Air from Crete to these destinations is direct and often quite inexpensive. 

Edited by iancal

4 hours ago, Fran2020 said:

I've seen some beautiful pics of a lake called Melisani - it is located on Kefalonia, right? Any feedback from the frequenters? Is it worth buying a guided tour there? 

We enjoyed it,  but depending how much time in port you could rent a car and do that and see more of the island.   Unfortunately Fiskardo got hit hard by the medicane, Mediterranean Hurricane. 

We had lots of recommendations for Pefanis.  We rented in Lassi but I believe they have an office in Argostoli.  Local company.

The were excellent to deal with.  We changed our reservation several times.  The price was the price.  Highly recommend them.  Not certain what they would be like for a daily rental.  From our perspective they were very competitive  flexible, and gave us some info on the island.

We would second the idea to forget the guided tour.  Do a little research prior, decide where you want to tour and go.

Edited by iancal

On 9/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, Hlitner said:

What a tough question.  We assume the OP is aware that there are more than 150 inhabited Greek Islands with dozens of them having decent hotels and resorts.  Choosing a favorite is really a matter of taste and circumstance.  Somebody with their own boat/yacht might decide to choose a nice resort on Corfu or one of the smaller Ionian Islands.  Many of us might opt for one of the smaller resort hotels on Santorini (especially in Oia).  Corfu is a huge island with many excellent resorts as is Rhodes.  But in the final analysis it is about your personal taste.  Would you be happy in a decent resort on an island with not much else, or would you prefer a resort/hotel on an island where there are more options once you leave the hotel?

Hank

What hotel in Oia please?...thanks so much.

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

What hotel in Oia please?...thanks so much.

It really depends on your budget.  If money is no object then perhaps Canaves would make you feel like you never want to leave.  But there are quite a few excellent small suite hotels in Oia that offer fantastic views.  Some of them also have private dipping pools with a view.  My strong suspicion is that COVID will have caused quite a few places to change ownership or even close their doors for a period of time.  Post COVID we are all liable to find many travel things changed (for the better and the worst) so many recommendations could well be null and void.  It will behoove the future traveler to do some homework and look at the latest information, reviews, et

Hank 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It really depends on your budget.  If money is no object then perhaps Canaves would make you feel like you never want to leave.  But there are quite a few excellent small suite hotels in Oia that offer fantastic views.  Some of them also have private dipping pools with a view.  My strong suspicion is that COVID will have caused quite a few places to change ownership or even close their doors for a period of time.  Post COVID we are all liable to find many travel things changed (for the better and the worst) so many recommendations could well be null and void.  It will behoove the future traveler to do some homework and look at the latest information, reviews, et

Hank 

We noticed some small ones in Oia with small pools but didn't see any names ????

34 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We noticed some small ones in Oia with small pools but didn't see any names ????

Yeah we have noticed that too.  Sometimes you can walk right up to the front door and see no name and you must go inside and make inquiries.  Makes no sense but it seems like some of the smaller upscale places are very discrete.   A few years ago when DW and her hubby wanted to go to Oia for a romantic few days they were very frustrated with their online search.  Finally my son-in-law called the AMEX Platinum (he has this card) concierge and they got them into a new place.  Since it was new they got a big time discounted rate (some like a $1000 per night room for about half price) and loved their experience.   And before you shudder a $1000 per night suite is not unusual in Oia.  I just looked at one place for next May and their refundable price for a Luxury Suite (with pool) was ONLY $1389 per night.  But they do include breakfast :).  That price is at the Canaves Boutique Hotel which is highly rated.  This kind of place is beyond my preferable budget but it is nice to dream.   The problem with staying on Santorini is all the darn cruise ships :).  But once the sun goes down and the cruisers are gone the island does become more charming.

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 2:00 AM, bennybear said:

We enjoyed it,  but depending how much time in port you could rent a car and do that and see more of the island.   Unfortunately Fiskardo got hit hard by the medicane, Mediterranean Hurricane. 

Oh really? I didn't know. Was it this year? Fiskardo was also on my wish list. 

1 hour ago, Fran2020 said:

Thanks, googled it now, looks horrible 😪

You’re welcome,  sadly we often don’t get the European news.  It’s sad when it had escaped the devastating earthquake that damaged so much of the island many years ago.     People still don’t realize how damaged the cinque terre is from landslides several years ago.   

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 11:04 PM, bennybear said:

You’re welcome,  sadly we often don’t get the European news.  It’s sad when it had escaped the devastating earthquake that damaged so much of the island many years ago.     People still don’t realize how damaged the cinque terre is from landslides several years ago.   

Yes, true, when was it? 2016? 2017? Very sad, such a picturesque area, all these small villages, I wonder if they ever managed to recover :classic_sad: