cruise or All-inclusive

jcool

On 8/13/2020 at 9:52 PM, iancal said:

We certainly did not feel stifled.  In Cyprus we had a car at both Ai’s and we did trips on numerous days.  Our friends always rent a car when they go to AI’s.  They prefer it to hotel excursions.  Not that much different than cruise excursions.  Not everyone sits by the pool all day drinking to excess and then gorging themselves at the dining venue!

If you have a car and are staying anywhere that is at all interesting (like Cyprus, for example) why would you want to pre-pay for all your meals and be limited in choice  rather than go out and see (and eat) something outside your comfort zone — while probably paying less and eating better.?

We do both.   In Cyprus we had last minute deals on AI's.  We also had our choice of AI type.  B'fast only or full AI.  We took the former.   In Mexico we also booked last minute since we were on a land trip.  The only choice was full AI's.  Lots of choice, five restaurants in many.   

For us this is never about either or.  We get just as tired of cruise line food and vanilla accommodations as we do on AI's.  They are such different animals in our view.   From our perspective the service levels and indeed the food is about the same.  Variable.  The entertainment is pot luck on cruises and AI's.  Anything from awful to good except on those cruises where the only entertainment is some second run movie.  What an AI does allow us to do is rent a car and tour about on our own for several days.   We do not care about lunch and it is not unusual for us not to eat dinner until 8:30.    No problem in an AI, but can be an issue on some cruise lines.

We have no issue eating outside when we are at an AI.  Nor do we sit there thinking that if we stayed on the AI property it would have been 'free'.   Just as on a cruise when we eat or drink in a local establishment vs. on the ship.   We typically only do last minute cruises or AI's since retiring with the exception of Christmastime AI's with daughter and family.

AI's are very, very popular in Canada.  Especially to Cuba (I believe we are the largest contingent followed by Europeans), Mexico, DR, St. Lucia, Aruba, etc.   All sorts of stars and prices from two or three star to six star.  The three stars might not compare well to a cruise depending on one's preferences, but the five and six star AI's certainly do from our perspective.  Since they include air (for us) they are often the most attractive for one or two week trippers.   My daughter experience with her young family is that AI's are far, far preferable to cruises-especially those AI's that cater to families.  

This past March we were so thankful that we selected an AI in Mexico for five days rather that flying home through FLL and grabbing a last minute Caribbean cruise.  We avoided Florida, avoid a potential MS Covid, and were able to fly home nonstop from Mexico.  Going home via FLL would have meant a flight to FLL and two flights home.

Edited by iancal

Interesting reading the comments.. here in Australia   ""the All-inclusive"

Falls into basically two groups.... the budget like a family resort or Carnival 

or high end boutique lodges  or Regent....

Also trying to compare a land based holiday to a cruise is like apples to oranges....

Lucky it is each to his/hers own to decide... which they would like best.....

May you all have a great holiday whenever your next one is       Don 

• Like 2

We did an AI in Veradero, Cuba.  Prior to arriving we arranged a B&B in Havana and a guide.

One morning we took the local bus into Havana. Our guide met our bus, took us to our B&B and then toured us around for the rest of the day.  We did our own thing the next day and bussed back in the afternoon.    

We were happy to pay for food and lodging even though we could have had it at the AI.

We were so glad that we did this rather than remaining on the property all day.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 11:00 AM, sanger727 said:

Are you saying you eating 1 meal a day?? Not having to run around and constantly find places to eat and shell out money on top of money on top of money does have a convenience factor to us, even if we end up paying a bit more for it upfront. I eat 6 times a day at home (combination of small meals/snacks). It makes it difficult to got to a typical hotel vacation unless we stay at one that is condo style with a refrigerator. We end up constantly stopping for meals where the choice is to overeat to fill up so you can go longer before you next meal or having tons of leftovers with no real way to keep them fresh. I do enjoy the fact that on cruises and AI's I can stop by the snack bar/or buffet a couple times a day for snacks and eat lighter meals. 

What I meant is the hotel breakfast is already figured out, and it's often filling enough that we skip lunch. That leaves us with finding something that we want for dinner, which isn't much of a hassle. Often, it is fun!

Again, not that I don't enjoy included food. It's hard to be mad at food at your doorstep at all times. It isn't this perfect choice that many make it out to be. For one, I often find myself eating more than I want to when the food is included. Not that we starve ourselves otherwise, but we don't always need 3 meals a day. Sometimes, we can grab a pizza or something if we want (btw Sandals pizza was nothing special). We have no issue stopping by a grocery store in the beginning, grabbing some drinks, snacks, etc. I admit, not having a fridge is annoying. In many cities, I'm going to want to try the local fare. You're crazy if you think I'm going to go to Mexico and not try some of the top taco joints.

I know quite a few people personally who swear by AIs. They usually all tell me how it's so amazing to not have to buy anything. Yet they don't drink much and/or end up going to a different restaurant/bar for change of scenery. All while massively overpaying. I'm not here to tell them that their choice is wrong. Just don't expect me to buy that bill of goods. Just knowing our own personal habits, and what we spend, it isn't worth it. No matter how free someone thinks it is.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Never been to an AI.   Seems it is eat, drink, sit at the pool and/or beach, & tour the area?  Seems it is the same as staying at a resort hotel but food/drink is included.   

At one of high end boutique lodges  ( which is all inclusive )  not really a resort ( it has a beach but no pool ) only 20 rooms

they offer tours and activities which are included, Fishing, Wine tour at local wineries, go to an oyster farm and wade out and pick fresh oysters....    also food if it is not of menu ask, and they will do their best to get it of you...... it is the vibe..... like being treated like royalty...

To us this is what ""AI "" is total indulgence.....    think private yacht... instead of cruise ship   

not just free drinks and food with a room.... 

Cheers Don  

3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

At one of high end boutique lodges  ( which is all inclusive )  not really a resort ( it has a beach but no pool ) only 20 rooms

they offer tours and activities which are included, Fishing, Wine tour at local wineries, go to an oyster farm and wade out and pick fresh oysters....    also food if it is not of menu ask, and they will do their best to get it of you...... it is the vibe..... like being treated like royalty...

To us this is what ""AI "" is total indulgence.....    think private yacht... instead of cruise ship   

not just free drinks and food with a room.... 

Cheers Don  

Thanks.  That really puts it into perspective.  The private yacht analogy is probably better than most glossy brochures.   👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 8:47 PM, coevan said:

Cruiselover was bored? Wow, there activities day and night. don’t get me wrong, love cruising, but the food is miles above Carnival. Six or seven restaurants from all over the world. Free top shelf liquor, free WiFi, and satellite TV with real channels, swim up bars, tipping is prohibited, except the Spas. Sandals has free diving, snorkeling, sailing, SUPs, kayaks, water skiing, and more. We are booked December 10-20 in Jamaica for our son’s wedding, we live in hope.🙏

Yes, cruzlover7 was bored.  All inclusive was just not for me.  I simply enjoy cruising and getting to see different ports. I didn’t want to mention it, but I spent two of my four days there sicker than a dog. Not sure if it was montezuma’s revenge Or the food! The hotel actually charged me for the towels that I soiled from getting sick.  I also was not fond of having to wait in a tent to sign up for dinner at the specialty food restaurants. Perhaps I chose the wrong hotel for my first all inclusive. 

We have experienced wonderful cruises and wonderful AI's

We have also experienced mediocre cruises and mediocre AI's.

The challenge in selecting either is to do your research and match with cruise or the AI with your personal preferences.

I do not understand why it is an either/or decision.  Seems a bit silly to me.