Cruise Ships moored in the English Channel are now a tourist attraction

Mrk2868

24 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I must admit we popped over to Weymouth whilst camping in Dorset.  We went to Noth Fort, and got a great view from the pier.

Weren't they doing trips round the bay. You could go and have a close look. That would be rubbing salt in the wound.

• Like 2

I had a beach hut at Bournemouth for 4 weeks and it was lovely and sad to see them anchored of shore especially at night when all their lights come on , I do miss them so much and this year was my husband’s retirement when we should of been on 6 cruises, it’s normally Aurora and Arcadia with a couple of others , at the moment it’s Allure of the seas with Majesty of the seas a bit further out 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Must be a bit eerie being aboard one of those ships, no passengers and reduced crew numbers.  Loads of empty space everywhere.  Do they bother turning the lights on?

Might actually be able to get a table at the Costa on Aurora (Raffles?)without it being full of people with no drinks just sat reading books.

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 1

What they should be doing is opening the cruise ships up like a restaurant. So you pay a small fee to have an all access tour around the ship and then a meal on board. Make some money whilst they are just sitting there.

Position the ships around the UK so people don't travel far to have a look. Drum up business for later on in year. Could also possible open it up like a floating hotel for a few weeks.

Keep the cash flow coming in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

What they should be doing is opening the cruise ships up like a restaurant. So you pay a small fee to have an all access tour around the ship and then a meal on board. Make some money whilst they are just sitting there.

Position the ships around the UK so people don't travel far to have a look. Drum up business for later on in year. Could also possible open it up like a floating hotel for a few weeks.

Keep the cash flow coming in.

.... and then one visitor later tests positive for Covid-19 and the entire crew are back in quarantine with nobody to maintain the ship.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

.... and then one visitor later tests positive for Covid-19 and the entire crew are back in quarantine with nobody to maintain the ship.

Shift patterns for crews, have dedicated crew to interact with the visitors etc.

There are ways and means to do it just needs a little bit of thought. Like every other business that has had to adapt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrisdriving said:

Might actually be able to get a table at the Costa on Aurora (Raffles?)without it being full of people with no drinks just sat reading books.

Well, I hope you get lucky. Even though people are talking about social distancing and stuff but in reality I doubt that cruise companies will really limit themselves especially when the demand is so high. Be ready to meet lots of people on board when you will cruise next time and make sure to get your table earlier before it gets occupied with someone else lol 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Shift patterns for crews, have dedicated crew to interact with the visitors etc.

There are ways and means to do it just needs a little bit of thought. Like every other business that has had to adapt.

Possible, yes.

Worthwhile for the cruise line? extremely doubtful - it would almost certainly cost more money to start taking visitors than it does to stay idle. Extra staff, more heating/cooling/lighting, extra cleaning, plus the biggest cost would be the port fees for mooring, security, visitor access etc. (you do know how much ships hate tendering?).

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 11:27 AM, zap99 said:

Weren't they doing trips round the bay. You could go and have a close look. That would be rubbing salt in the wound.

Did you see it on the news tonight... you were right.... an enterprising Mudeford Ferry Company are doing trips out.  They had two P and O flags to wave as they approached a P and O ship.The ships were blowing their horns, and one ship was waving a giant hand from the  bridge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Did you see it on the news tonight... you were right.... an enterprising Mudeford Ferry Company are doing trips out.  They had two P and O flags to wave as they approached a P and O ship.The ships were blowing their horns, and one ship was waving a giant hand from the  bridge.

Yes.The article on the BBC website states that the owner of the ferry used to be a deputy captain on one of the cruise ships

• Like 2

Well just found this article in the Daily Mail. For some reason it annoys me - may be the fact that he is the one Captain that we never warmed to for a number of reasons. I often wonder how the other Captains and Crew members we have great respect for (and are fond of) are doing at the moment?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8630759/Captain-P-O-cruise-liner-anchored-Devon-coast-tells-months-one-handful-aboard.html

• Like 1

We have just come back from a break near Bournemouth, was hoping to see some ships did see a silhouette of RC  Allure of the seas misty morning but not Arcadia and Aurora as they were just around the cove were we were. On way home stopped at Charmouth so too far down from Weymouth to see any ships, and we live an hour from Torbay At a services on way near Weymouth spoke to someone who works for P.O. And Cunrad, she had some ship staff in mini bus she was takin them to the ships at Weymouth..We mentioned we have a cruise next May and she seemed certain we would be cruising by then fingers crossed

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tikka234 said:

We have just come back from a break near Bournemouth, was hoping to see some ships did see a silhouette of RC  Allure of the seas misty morning but not Arcadia and Aurora as they were just around the cove were we were. On way home stopped at Charmouth so too far down from Weymouth to see any ships, and we live an hour from Torbay At a services on way near Weymouth spoke to someone who works for P.O. And Cunrad, she had some ship staff in mini bus she was takin them to the ships at Weymouth..We mentioned we have a cruise next May and she seemed certain we would be cruising by then fingers crossed

I certainly hope that cruising resumes before May, we have booked the British Isles cruise on Princess for May.

On 8/13/2020 at 11:16 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

The virus is also be spread through contaminated surfaces. I would think the cost of cleaning, disinfecting every area each time and the risk if one area was missed wouldn't make it feasible, nor cost effective. It only takes one!!

Avril

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The virus is also be spread through contaminated surfaces. I would think the cost of cleaning, disinfecting every area each time and the risk if one area was missed wouldn't make it feasible, nor cost effective. It only takes one!!

Avril

You're beginning to rival wowzz for the glass half empty winning contest Avril.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You're beginning to rival wowzz for the glass half empty winning contest Avril.😉

No, no, no, no John, please don't say that. My glass is over-flowing, honestly. That's why I want the ships leaving  in a clean and sterile condition awaiting us when cruising resumes. I was only being selfish and thinking about everyone's booked cruises. Don't want to risk it not happening do we? 😉

Avril

• Like 1

There's another Daily Mail story about the Mudeford Ferry and ghost ships/cruising in general published this evening. I like the comment about cruisers being incredibly loyal — to their chosen company and to cruising in general.

Sandra

Edited by dides