Expert Flyer

klfrodo

Nope.  AS will have them in the normal window for their own redemptions.  BA has a longer window for their own FF program.

Rule of thumb -- even if the operating carrier has inventory available, you are constrained by the rules and calendar of the program through which you book the award seats.  They are the ones that you are "buying" your ticket through, so their rules apply.

23 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Nope.  AS will have them in the normal window for their own redemptions.  BA has a longer window for their own FF program.

Rule of thumb -- even if the operating carrier has inventory available, you are constrained by the rules and calendar of the program through which you book the award seats.  They are the ones that you are "buying" your ticket through, so their rules apply.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up, here's my experience

Here are the knowns. My mileage program is with AS. I needed 3 Business Class seats. I live near Seattle. My final destination is London. My airline options are British Airways, American Airlines, Iceland Air, and Air Lingus.

Air Lingus wants 280,000 one way in Business for each passenger, Iceland Air only offers coach for the timeframe I was looking, American Airlines only offers connections in mixed class. BA charges excessive additional fees.

The day before the AS award flights open, Expert Flier shows that BA has 3 seats open for a non stop SEA-LHR.

The morning arrives,,,,,, sign on to AS,,,,, 2 seats available but not 3.... sad face

Okay, I can fly up or down the coast if other flights are available with 3 seats in Business Class.

YVR-LHR? Nope  LAX-LHR? Nope  SFO-LHR? Nope  SJC-LHR? YES... Booked it. 3 Business Class seats. Even paid for seats in upper deck of 747-400

Bought FC tickets from SEA to SJC on AS. Plenty of time to even leave the airport and tour Winchester Mansion, get back to SJC.

A week or 2 later, just for giggles, checked again for SEA to LHR,,, sure enough, there are 3 seats in Business Class on the 787-10 with the new Club Seats. Called AS award desk, got everything moved over. Confirmed on line with BA that the move is made and reselected the new seats.

Got online with AS, canceled the FC tickets to SJC and money refunded to cc.

Now just to wait.

• Like 2

It’s amazing how the inventory is released and changes.   Glad you got them.  The new seats should be great.  Does AS charge for the changes.  Are their taxes the same as BA?    We always seem to have to change with BA and pay for each change.  

Edited by bennybear

19 hours ago, bennybear said:

It’s amazing how the inventory is released and changes.   Glad you got them.  The new seats should be great.  Does AS charge for the changes.  Are their taxes the same as BA?    We always seem to have to change with BA and pay for each change.  

My status with AS allows free changes and Yes,,, BA fees/taxes increased about $50 pp