Where was I?

11 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Southend pier

Congratulations, yes it is Southend Pier,  @ Southend on Sea in the County of Essex, England. Longest pier in the world.   You can train it or walk it, Jamie Oliver had just opened a restaurant at the end of it last time I was there in 2016, probably gone bust by now, like many of his ventures. At the entrance to the pier there is a great pier history museum. 

I have a half sister lives at Benfleet, not far from Sarfend on Mud, as some call it, due to the low tides.

Business Class tickets on Air Afghanistan in the mail. Enjoy !!

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Thought it was too easy, i reckon one third of Aust have been here.

When we did it in 2005, half the ship were Aussies, great experience though, I liked the train operated from right near the ship. Some smarties on the ship kept saying before we got to Skagway..'I am not paying those Princess prices for the White Pass railway, I will get off and buy one direct.'  Well that night the smarties were quiet, the train was fully booked out for Princess Shorex pax, no tickets for independents. I suppose there are times when the Cruise companies don't fill them. We were there in the early May, only 2 ships in, high time, like July, they can have 5 or 6 ships in.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Well that will do the train does pass over the boarder for just a short distance 

It does.

OK, it appears I won....next one, where and what is this?  (I am only posting pics of places I have been to, no, no fake news.)

OIP (1).jpg

Edited by NSWP

Update on the current operation

https://wpyr.com/updates/

OPERATIONAL UPDATES

White Pass Suspends All Service for the 2020 Operating Season

With the final cancelation of the Alaska cruise season, the White Pass & Yukon Route has made the difficult but necessary decision to suspend all passenger service for the 2020 operating season. This will mark the first year without passenger service since 1988 when the railroad reopened after a 6-year shutdown in the early 1980’s. White Pass has taken on and overcome many challenges over its 122-year history. We remain hopeful for the future and look forward to resuming service in 2021. 

The White Pass & Yukon Route remains dedicated to providing a safe and memorable trip for all that step aboard our trains each summer season. We will take time during this pause in operations to focus on our core products as well as solidify health and safety protocols for our trains, public spaces and waiting areas. 

Please visit our excursion pages for current 2021 tour offerings. For questions, you may contact the WP&YR Reservation Office at 1-800-343-7373 Monday-Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM Alaska Time. 

We look forward to seeing you when we resume passenger operations on the Scenic Railway of the World.

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Update on the current operation

https://wpyr.com/updates/

OPERATIONAL UPDATES

White Pass Suspends All Service for the 2020 Operating Season

With the final cancelation of the Alaska cruise season, the White Pass & Yukon Route has made the difficult but necessary decision to suspend all passenger service for the 2020 operating season. This will mark the first year without passenger service since 1988 when the railroad reopened after a 6-year shutdown in the early 1980’s. White Pass has taken on and overcome many challenges over its 122-year history. We remain hopeful for the future and look forward to resuming service in 2021. 

The White Pass & Yukon Route remains dedicated to providing a safe and memorable trip for all that step aboard our trains each summer season. We will take time during this pause in operations to focus on our core products as well as solidify health and safety protocols for our trains, public spaces and waiting areas. 

Please visit our excursion pages for current 2021 tour offerings. For questions, you may contact the WP&YR Reservation Office at 1-800-343-7373 Monday-Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM Alaska Time. 

We look forward to seeing you when we resume passenger operations on the Scenic Railway of the World.

No ships, no people. The towns on the inside passage cruises would be like ghost towns, so much seasonal employment there normally. One wonders now if the Inside Passage cruise season will actually kick off in May 2021, here's hoping. Thanks for posting young David.

Edited by NSWP

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

OK, it appears I won....next one, where and what is this?  (I am only posting pics of places I have been to, no, no fake news.)

OIP (1).jpg

Put it up again, to avoid confusion.

Edited by NSWP

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

What about Cuzco, Peru?

Felicitaciones  !!!  I will give you that one, Cusco Cathedral, Cusco, Peru, gateway to Macchu Picchu.  The Spanish Conquistadors built the cathedral, no doubt using locals and a few whips as they did.

Buenos Tardes.

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Felicitaciones  !!!  I will give you that one, Cusco Cathedral, Cusco, Peru, gateway to Macchu Picchu.  The Spanish Conquistadors built the cathedral, no doubt using locals and a few whips as they did.

Buenos Tardes.

I loved Cuzco - it's a pity it is so high. I will post a new photo soon .....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That church is high up, looks like I may need to go to that large shop near Canberra airport (sounds like) to get a llama. :classic_laugh:

Quite high about 13,000 feet, you have cocoa tea when you get there from sea level at Lima, for the altitude, we had 3 days there before the train to Macchu Picchu and two nights at Aguas Calientes, town of Macchu Picchu and suffered badly from Altitude Sickness, took diamox too, still got crook, but worth it for the experience. Guinea Pig is nice there, tastes like chicken, just be wary of the roadside bbq, dogs !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Quite high about 13,000 feet, you have cocoa tea when you get there from sea level at Lima, for the altitude, we had 3 days there before the train to Macchu Picchu and two nights at Aguas Calientes, town of Macchu Picchu and suffered badly from Altitude Sickness, took diamox too, still got crook, but worth it for the experience. Guinea Pig is nice there, tastes like chicken, just be wary of the roadside bbq, dogs !!!

I was on a land tour in South America. I drank countless cups of cocoa tea and fortunately didn't have altitude sickness. I just had to walk a bit slower and take the stairs in the hotel very slowly. I look at the guinea pig served in a restaurant, but that was as close as I got.