Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

I am on this, AT Dinner I order a glass by glass by glass of what I want. Now the Last glass I order a bottle of something and bring it back to our room. Sounds like a plan we can live with. Looks like it would be worth the 30 bucks (60 for the two) each day.  Thanks for the information. Made it easy to place the order just now for it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

I am on this, AT Dinner I order a glass by glass by glass of what I want. Now the Last glass I order a bottle of something and bring it back to our room. Sounds like a plan we can live with. Looks like it would be worth the 30 bucks (60 for the two) each day.  Thanks for the information. Made it easy to place the order just now for it. 

Technically, the cost is an additional $34.80 USD each. So, $54.60 per person, per day overall!

I am not knocking that price-tag.  Enjoy the additional perks of the package!

But, as a word of caution, I believe we all need to recognize that some availability might be limited...

just like items not available at retail stores, restaurants, and bars.

19 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

Do you find you excessively force yourself to drink knowing you spent an extra $500 on the drink package? Knowing I spent the extra I would go out of my way to drink more and customize my Starbucks even though I don’t care for any of those moca latte fappo whatever’s. 

Personally, the answer is yes, somewhat.  However not because of the package.  I'm on a cruise, not driving anywhere, not working (well, not as much,) among friends, and in a party/celebratory atmosphere.  Even if I stayed with the original package, I'd be drinking more than I did, say, last week.  I'd dare say most people on the ship would say the same.

Once one comes to that realization, determine what would make you happiest.  If you drink Bud Light all week there's no real need to upgrade.  If you like the higher-end stuff, then add in Starbucks, bottled water, energy drinks, then go for it.

For some, perhaps it's a fair amount of change and, upon reflection, many may find it better spent with, say, a Vibe pass or some spa services.  For me, I'll take the Plus package every time.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 2

DH and I decided to upgrade to the Prem+ package for our cruise next week. I noticed that it says it includes sports drinks- where do we get these? Are they available at bars or elsewhere? Thanks for the help- I'm excited to live the "Plus Life."  😃

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lucinarei said:

DH and I decided to upgrade to the Prem+ package for our cruise next week. I noticed that it says it includes sports drinks- where do we get these? Are they available at bars or elsewhere? Thanks for the help- I'm excited to live the "Plus Life."  😃

Yes, bars

• Like 1

Just off the Getaway this morning, I want to share my experience with Premium Plus.

-We had all the Pellegrino our hearts desired (probably 6 bottles a day, at the very least).

- I think my husband and I tried almost every single drink on the Starbucks menu. It was fun to find new favorites (Salted Caramel Cream Nitro Cold Brew) and to try things we’d never pay out of pocket for on land (All of the Frappuccinos).
-Supply chain issues were most evident with the wines, but the Wine Stewards would do everything they could to make sure you had something that made you happy. Day 2 they ran out of Tempranillo, they were very apologetic and offered some different wines that ended up being our new favorites.

-Veuve, Veuve everywhere. We drank plenty and they were quick to refill. 
-No significant issues with supply of the liquors except for no Whistle Pig. 

Was it worth it? 
Definitely for us, for the experience. We had free range to try everything without having to sign a receipt at the end. The access to sparkling water without a fee each time kept us well hydrated. I don’t imagine we’ll be able to go back to the regular drink package again. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bmwnurse said:

Was it worth it? 
Definitely for us, for the experience.

@bmwnurseFrom the start of this thread, August 20, 2020; my position on the Premium Plus package was "For The Experience".  I could not agree with you more.  At home, I have never had "Veuve" every; on the ship, I had one or two glasses a day.  Until my last trip, I had never had at home, Tequila 1942.  I loved it so much, I bought a bottle for my bar at home.  

My next trip is a solo trip for the first time.  I also, will most likely not be in the Haven but I am bidding on it.  My only goal if not upgraded it to find a bar that is as relaxing as the Haven bar with the upper end brands.  The Premium Plus package has already been purchase along with the WiFi upgrade.  

Thank you for taking the time to overview your experiences.  Much appreciated. 

Cruise well.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bmwnurse said:

Was it worth it? 
Definitely for us, for the experience. We had free range to try everything without having to sign a receipt at the end. The access to sparkling water without a fee each time kept us well hydrated. I don’t imagine we’ll be able to go back to the regular drink package again. 

This exactly. We just got off the Escape and upgraded the drink package for the first time. There were some issues with getting the wines we wanted (mostly the whites), but the ability to drink whatever we wanted and try all of the whiskeys made it plenty worth it to us. I drank Veuve and Moet until I could drink no more- it was really wonderful to not worry about keeping under the $15 per glass. I also very much enjoyed the fresh juices in the morning and the San Pellegrino at dinner. I really can't see ever going back. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rick160158 said:

I fail to comprehend, when you have the premium beverage package, which includes drinks up to $15, the package doesn't include a $3 - $4 specialty coffees, or a $2 bottled water. That simply doesn't add up. Makes no sense what so ever. 

I responded to your post on the Haven not providing the Thermal Spa. Same answer here.  Know the rules for each program.  Make a decision based on your needs.  Just the rules of engagement with Mainstream cruise brands.  

Some other brands include water and specialty coffee for sure.  They also cost more over all.  

Cruise well.

• Like 1

So we did it! I waited till we boarded as I didn't want to lay out the $480 and not be able to board because of Covid testing. Longest 15 minutes of my life.

So we drank at least 1 bottle of Veuve per day. 1 Pellegrino per day. Like 4 Cappuccino's 2 each.

I hurt them really bad with the Whistle Pig, really bad! Tried everything high end I could find.

If you like the fruity rum drinks(who doesn't) then tell them to add a double of Zacapa 23 rum. They will look at you funny until they see your card. After the first day my wife was a pro asking for 23!

It really make the drink special.

The only problem we ran into on the Dawn was in the Venetian. Our first visit the waiter said Cappuccino was not included. A couple minutes later of course We got them for free. Then on the second visit I ordered the Bottle of Moet Brute. 10 minutes later Wine Steward shows up with Veuve. He then explains that they would have to go Cellars to get one and they wanted us to wait till tomorrow???? A little push back and we had the bottle in 2 minutes????

Would we do it again? Haven for sure, Suite with no Haven bar maybe.

The room service coffee was really bad this trip, maybe be because French Press and Cappuccino's was so good?

We could go without for sure, but those pool side drinks with Zacapa 23 made a huge difference!

PS My wife tried different Wines that she would not normally try. She enjoyed the package as much as I did. Maybe no going back?

Edited by Lionkingrichard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Sthrngary Having just waded through this 15-page thread and noticing you were recently on the Joy, I have two questions for you / anyone else with recent, first-hand experience.

1) were there any restrictions in District Brew House on high-end beers being excluded from P-plus... the Chimay line is one of the biggest reasons for me to do this. There is no mention of beer at all on the sample menu on the NCL website.

2) while on the Joy recently did you use your P-plus at the Startbucks without restriction? Another he reason for me to do this.

Thanks for sharing your insight on this topic.

J

17 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

@Sthrngary Having just waded through this 15-page thread and noticing you were recently on the Joy, I have two questions for you / anyone else with recent, first-hand experience.

1) were there any restrictions in District Brew House on high-end beers being excluded from P-plus... the Chimay line is one of the biggest reasons for me to do this. There is no mention of beer at all on the sample menu on the NCL website.

2) while on the Joy recently did you use your P-plus at the Startbucks without restriction? Another he reason for me to do this.

Thanks for sharing your insight on this topic.

J

I can answer the Starbucks, but on the Dawn last week. Every Restaurant had the 4 Starbucks choices. Think Cappuccino's, espressos, Coffee etc.   At Starbucks you could order your drinks anyway you wanted.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

@cdnsteelmanI can't answer you question directly.  What I can say is, I drank two to four Tequila 1942 every day; I drank the really good Champagne at every meal and more then one glass.  These two items are super high priced.  So it would lead me to assume, if the have the Chimay line, which they should but don't hold me to that, it should be no issue.  Clear as mud right. 

40 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

I did not, I was in the Haven.  The specialty coffee's there are not charge and it was Starbucks.  My understanding is if I would have gone to the Starbucks store, it would have been no issue.  I will know better after my cruise on the Joy (yes again) March 19 when I am not in the Haven.  I have the "Plus" program and will be at Starbucks daily.

Cruise well.

4 minutes ago, mafig said:

Which specialty coffees are no charge in the Haven if you do not have the P-Plus.?

If I am not mistaken, and I don't think I am.  All coffee's in the Restaurant are complementary.  French Press, Cap.  The Horizon Lounge has a super high end machine which is starbucks and specialty coffee's.  

Hope that helps. 

Cruise well.

I asked that question : " what about the chimay"  i was TOLD " it includes all beer" . that was only a phone call when we has a NCL rep on on the line for other. not actually on ship.  SO I am hoping it is acurate . I did read on some NCL writtings somewhere " all beers" . 

and I am going to look up that 1942.  I hope it is not a Haven only thing. 

1 hour ago, charlie murphy said:

I asked that question : " what about the chimay"  i was TOLD " it includes all beer" . that was only a phone call when we has a NCL rep on on the line for other. not actually on ship.  SO I am hoping it is acurate . I did read on some NCL writtings somewhere " all beers" . 

and I am going to look up that 1942.  I hope it is not a Haven only thing. 

@charlie murphyI promise, and I mean promise; I will find the 1942 Tequila outside the Haven.  I will report back to everyone on this thread when I find the bar.  It is my QUEST.  This upcoming cruise on the NCL Joy, I will most likely not be in the Haven.  I will however and already have purchased the "Plus" package.  Now that I know Chimay is a thing, I am "IN".  

Cruise well. 

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@cdnsteelmanI can't answer you question directly.  What I can say is, I drank two to four Tequila 1942 every day; I drank the really good Champagne at every meal and more then one glass.  These two items are super high priced.  So it would lead me to assume, if the have the Chimay line, which they should but don't hold me to that, it should be no issue.  Clear as mud right. 

I did not, I was in the Haven.  The specialty coffee's there are not charge and it was Starbucks.  My understanding is if I would have gone to the Starbucks store, it would have been no issue.  I will know better after my cruise on the Joy (yes again) March 19 when I am not in the Haven.  I have the "Plus" program and will be at Starbucks daily.

Cruise well.

Gary, hubby and I will be on Joy  Dec 4 for 14 day PC in Haven. He does not drink alcohol at all. Celebrity and Royal let me get drink pkg or upgrade just for me. Do you know if anyone has been able to call NCL and get upgrade for just one? It would be a huge waste of money to buy 14 days of plus program if I am the only one using it. I know I could just pay the xtra charge for anything above the cap, but like you, I want as much paid for upfront as I can. TIA

19 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

Gary, hubby and I will be on Joy  Dec 4 for 14 day PC in Haven. He does not drink alcohol at all. Celebrity and Royal let me get drink pkg or upgrade just for me. Do you know if anyone has been able to call NCL and get upgrade for just one? It would be a huge waste of money to buy 14 days of plus program if I am the only one using it. I know I could just pay the xtra charge for anything above the cap, but like you, I want as much paid for upfront as I can. TIA

You may be better off just buying drinks one at a time instead of the package deal.

The type of drinks also plays a part in this - hard high test liquor drinks go to $15

Wine consider the Viva Vino program 4 bottles for less than $100 

Corks n Caps if you are not drinking the hard stuff 

There is a Sodas package for non-alcohol drinkers

Specialty coffee i.e. Starbucks not included - ONLY in the Premium Plus package

NCL needs to rethink about a solo drink package -

But as it is now everyone in the cabin must purchase the package to avoid abuse

sharing drinks NCLs present thinking.

36 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

@Wink87This is the first time I have shared this information.  I hope it helps you.  NCL has a computer program that makes it impossible for one of the two folks in a suite to get the Premium Plus (Upgrade) drink package alone.  However on our recent Joy Cruise with our adult children, my wife and I got the Premium Plus package and my two adult children got the Premium package.  Here is how we did it. 

I called and was told I could use my FCC to get the Premium package for my wife and I but had to have my travel agent call to get it done.  I thought that was it.  It was NOT.  I got on the ship and my adult children did not have a drink package at all.  Again, this is a NCL computer issue.  I was pissed to say the least.  I told the Concierge who fixed the kids package in 15 minutes. 

The other way of doing this is to email vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com (Jonathan)  and explain your situation.  Most likely he will ask you to get with him via email a few day before you cruise.  I hope this information is both helpful and works for you.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

You may be better off just buying drinks one at a time instead of the package deal.

The type of drinks also plays a part in this - hard high test liquor drinks go to $15

Wine consider the Viva Vino program 4 bottles for less than $100 

Corks n Caps if you are not drinking the hard stuff 

There is a Sodas package for non-alcohol drinkers

Specialty coffee i.e. Starbucks not included - ONLY in the Premium Plus package

NCL needs to rethink about a solo drink package -

But as it is now everyone in the cabin must purchase the package to avoid abuse

sharing drinks NCLs present thinking.

TY!