Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

2 hours ago, JennyLou97 said:

@SthrngarThank you so much for your very valuable information.  I was contemplating the Premium plus upgrade since it is just me and my son (he only has the soda package because he's 16) and between the bottled water and coffee, that sold me.  I am certainly looking forward to having a glass (or 7) of the "Yellow Label" as this was suppose to be a family trip but 2 of my family refuse the vaccine so it's just a mom and son trip.  

We are staying in a cabin that is to large for two people but luxury is how we are going to handle it.  We have an aft-haven-suite.  We lucked out as I booked it in 2019 before covid became a huge deal and shut everything down so the same stateroom now costs over $14,000!  Shocked to say the least but very much looking forward to some bonding with my son.

I did have a question about movies - do they have dvd's you can use or is it just the movies that are on-demand in your room (from what I remember there wasn't a huge selection and they played on a loop)?  I am hoping for some late night movies with popcorn and snacks and even staying up all night to watch the sun rise in the morning on our balcony.    The other question was about being at the back of the ship - have you had any experience with this?  I know we are far away from the Haven area but the room and balcony are amazing.  

I imagine sitting by the pool in a lounger, reading a book, having a glass (or 7) of wine and just relaxing for an entire week!  

This is him and his older brother from our last family cruise in 2018 ❤️ 

6246696.jpg

If you stay in the Haven, all pay for view movies are free. From what I remember there’s a fair number to choose from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JennyLou97 said:

@SthrngarThank you so much for your very valuable information.  I was contemplating the Premium plus upgrade since it is just me and my son (he only has the soda package because he's 16) and between the bottled water and coffee, that sold me.  I am certainly looking forward to having a glass (or 7) of the "Yellow Label" as this was suppose to be a family trip but 2 of my family refuse the vaccine so it's just a mom and son trip.  

We are staying in a cabin that is to large for two people but luxury is how we are going to handle it.  We have an aft-haven-suite.  We lucked out as I booked it in 2019 before covid became a huge deal and shut everything down so the same stateroom now costs over $14,000!  Shocked to say the least but very much looking forward to some bonding with my son.

I did have a question about movies - do they have dvd's you can use or is it just the movies that are on-demand in your room (from what I remember there wasn't a huge selection and they played on a loop)?  I am hoping for some late night movies with popcorn and snacks and even staying up all night to watch the sun rise in the morning on our balcony.    The other question was about being at the back of the ship - have you had any experience with this?  I know we are far away from the Haven area but the room and balcony are amazing.  

I imagine sitting by the pool in a lounger, reading a book, having a glass (or 7) of wine and just relaxing for an entire week!  

This is him and his older brother from our last family cruise in 2018 ❤️ 

6246696.jpg

The iMovie's are all complementary and there are a lot of them. The suite you are in is spectacular.  Yes, it is not in the Haven Courtyard.  I stayed in the Haven spa suite which also was not in the Haven Courtyard.  A small walk but with the room you are in, worth it.  You did well.  Your son will be spoiled for life.

I am very excited for you both.  Sorry about the rest of your family.  This is a once in a life time cruise and experience for you both. Ask me any questions you have, I want this to be epic for you both.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

LOL, I don't care what calculation you do.  It is not worth it.  BUT, did I say BUT, I do it every time.  I don't care if I consume enough to cover the costs.  I just want do not have any restraints.  Just one week a year (in this case in two plus years due to four cancelations of covid) to feel like a rock star.  

It is NOT worth the upgrade and for sure not the full price.  It is worth knowing you have no restrictions and some benefits.  If someone things it is ridiculous, I support them.  I really do.  If someone says I can't drink that much, I support you.  If someone says it not worth the money, I support you.  

I do it because it makes me feel like nothing is out of limits.  

Cruise well.

I don’t remember asking what you do, you’ve already repeated it several times. I was asking about the cost of a bottle of San Pellegrino. I’m a data guy. I believe it would be just plain stupid to spend $35 a day for $20 worth of stuff. 

18 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

I don’t remember asking what you do, you’ve already repeated it several times. I was asking about the cost of a bottle of San Pellegrino. I’m a data guy. I believe it would be just plain stupid to spend $35 a day for $20 worth of stuff. 

I believe a bottle of Pellegrino is $6 on the ship.  I go through a few each day.  Still, you'd need to drink a LOT of sparkling water, in and of itself, to get to $35.  But I might have a Starbucks, I'll definitely have a couple glasses of Champagne, and the bottle of wine with dinner makes it a no brainer.  For me.  Others' mileage will vary.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

You are right, I apologize. I think my issue is I am to excited about finally cruising again.  My fault completely.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sthrngary If I had just one glass of Veuve every day then it pretty much would pay for it. Right?

I am trying to decide if we should upgrade on our Haven cruise on the Epic in January. It’s a 40th bday celebration cruise for me so I kind of feel like I should just because it’s no worries and everything is covered essentially. 

I’d for sure drink at minimum the following each day… at least one bottle of water, one Red Bull, one specialty coffee, a glass of Veuve. 

So with that said, I guess I would get my monies worth right?

49 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

@Sthrngary If I had just one glass of Veuve every day then it pretty much would pay for it. Right?

I am trying to decide if we should upgrade on our Haven cruise on the Epic in January. It’s a 40th bday celebration cruise for me so I kind of feel like I should just because it’s no worries and everything is covered essentially. 

I’d for sure drink at minimum the following each day… at least one bottle of water, one Red Bull, one specialty coffee, a glass of Veuve. 

So with that said, I guess I would get my monies worth right?

The Veuve itself is $35.  You'd get a $15 credit with the "basic" package so call it $20.  The other stuff easily adds up to $15 so yes.

On top of that, remember, you get a bottle of wine (including Moet) with dinner.

first thankyou for all your insights and information the topic. I was thinking of the very same question last week after looking at a wine list and realizing that the 15$ ceiling with the drink package my not work so well for my wife. she does enjoy her red wine with dinner and in the evenings and many of them are above the price point of the included drink package . so was trying to do the math with overage and number of glass etc. from the limited wine list that i had seen on a post somewhere in the treads  -TOO crazy to try to figure this out, too much speculation and guess work. Then I was happy to read about the bottle with dinner ( and possibly other times). so the questions is:

1) the NCL list in the thread for the premium bev package is not the ENTIRE wine list , is it?

2) is that wine available by the bottle a hard list , or are there other wines available when on board

3) I understand one can not go into the haven restaurant or bars , but can one go into the specialty restaurants and only enjoy the bar. ( i ask because on other cruises we have found wines at those restaurants that we could not find elsewhere and we would go in for  a glass of wine as we wondered the ship)

4) do specialty restaurants have upgraded wine lists?

thanks again to all of you 

On 3/15/2021 at 5:10 PM, purpleally said:

Went to dinner with another couple that did not have upgrade. Had three bottles at dinner.  Glasses were brought out for all four of us. We also were able to order bottles at lunch. We were not able to order Veuve by the bottle nor bring bottles back to our room. I asked. 

They would not let us order a bottle at lunch on Epic last month.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:09 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

Just remember with NCL it is 5 'o' clock somewhere !

And closing note with any of the beverage packages shortly after midnight on the last night

of the sailing the bar closes on your account - take a few drinks back to your cabin for the

last hurrah in the morning - maybe different in the Haven with restaurant and bar.

There is always one bar open surprisingly even on last day and package was included.

On 4/21/2021 at 4:36 PM, Seany527 said:

This has been asked a few times on here and from what I can see, no one has been able to give a solid answer. 

Some people immediately say “no” but then reference the regular Premium Beverage Package. Others have said “yes” but offer nothing to support their claim. 

The terms of the Premium Plus Beverage Package state “specialty coffee” but doesn’t explicitly state Starbucks.  I’ve read other terms from NCL covering other topics and they do sometimes reference Starbucks by name. So the fact that ‘Starbucks’ is omitted on the PPBP makes me wonder. 

A first hand account of someone using it at Starbucks and not at a speciality coffee place like those found in the Atrium would be helpful. 

Starbucks is included with the Premium Plus. I had it on Sun repeatedly.

On 9/9/2021 at 7:32 PM, phillygwm said:

As long as you're on a reservation by yourself, if you have the Premium Plus package you get a (read: ONE) bottle of wine with dinner.  Additional bottles come with a 40% discount.  The "free" bottle is from a limited list, so no Chateau Lafitte Rothschild for you; see my post with the current list.  I'm almost certain it's available in the main dining rooms as well but I always go premium so don't have firsthand experience.

Your father, unless he's opted out of the beverage package entirely, gets wine by the glass.  So do you once you've consumed your bottle, though your choices are a bit more expansive.  Again, I've had very attentive service in the premium restaurants so my glass was rarely empty but not sure how that stacks up in MDR.

This not true. I was able to order multiple bottles of wine as a solo on Jade and share my bottle with whomever I liked. I was on Epic and drank many bottles of wine with someone else who had plus.

• Thanks 1

One huge difference on our last cruise on Epic in September was that they would not give us Veuve which was the main reason for  my choosing the package. There was no champagne bar that was pouring it by the glass either. We were offered Moet, which was fine but not what we wanted. Having the list on our phone did not sway the waiter. I was mad but dining with new friends so let it go.There is now clear wording that bottles are only served with dinner which is a shame. I also like having a nice glass on balcony. As far as I know, you can have as many bottles of wine with dinner as you like. Ive never been refused but did not test it this past cruise. I will be getting plus on my upcoming Epic cruise. 

4 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

One huge difference on our last cruise on Epic in September was that they would not give us Veuve which was the main reason for  my choosing the package. 

Oddly, there are a couple versions of the Premium Plus list floating around in the NCL website.  My Bliss cruise in December, for instance, links to a 3/19 version.  There is also a 7/21 list out there.  The former has Veuve by the bottle, the latter does not.  I've been assuming I've purchased the more current list, even if it's not the one listed on the website.  If I get the older selections, all the better but you seem to have confirmed that won't be the case.  I did expect I'd be able to find Veuve by the glass, though.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-plus-beverage-package-2021v2.pdf

Edited by phillygwm

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

Oddly, there are a couple versions of the Premium Plus list floating around in the NCL website.  My Bliss cruise in December, for instance, links to a 3/19 version.  There is also a 7/21 list out there.  The former has Veuve by the bottle, the latter does not.  I've been assuming I've purchased the more current list, even if it's not the one listed on the website.  If I get the older selections, all the better but you seem to have confirmed that won't be the case.  I did expect I'd be able to find Veuve by the glass, though.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-plus-beverage-package-2021v2.pdf

My Joy cruise in December links to the 3/19 version as well when I looked up the details to upgrade.  I guess I’ll just wait to hear from those traveling on the Joy before me (and if they upgraded) which version they got.

Hello all.  NCL and every other brand always says, "Subject to change." So everything we do is speculation.  Yes, there are several versions of the "Premium Plus Beverage Package" floating CruiseCritic.com.  One from 2019 and one from 2021.  Yes there are difference for sure. 

My wife used to get a full bottle of a specific wine at meals.  It was lovely.  Now it is available by the glass and two other wines are full bottles.  Look at this as an ever changing list of goodies instead of a very specific list.  

I love cruising however I learned a very valuable lesson earlier this year.  I took a Luxury Cruise for the first time in my life.  All my research was point on however the reality did not match the visualization. I knew it what I was doing it and yes it kind of disappointed me.  Lesson learned. On my upcoming NCL cruise, I have back off the details a bit.  We all have to stay flexible.  Take it from me.  Lesson learned. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Yes  I will survive the change but it was aggravating bc we pulled it right up from our cruise page. The by the glass did not come up until the end of the week so I did not try numerous bars, Perhaps it was offered somewhere or Moet by the glass.

@phillygwm

So I just saw it. On the list you provided there is no asterisk by the veuve. It says in small print at bottom that only the asterisk ones on the list are available by the bottle. That is why they would not give it to us but should of then suggested a glass.

• Like 1

Ok let me ask a potentially controversial question. Is it possible for just one person in the stateroom to upgrade to the plus package and the other just remains on the normal package? I realize this would have to likely be done only once on board, but I’m just wondering if it’s possible and if I have the bartender upgrade mine to the Plus, is it automatically going to upgrade us both, and therefore charge us both?

6 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Ok let me ask a potentially controversial question. Is it possible for just one person in the stateroom to upgrade to the plus package and the other just remains on the normal package? I realize this would have to likely be done only once on board, but I’m just wondering if it’s possible and if I have the bartender upgrade mine to the Plus, is it automatically going to upgrade us both, and therefore charge us both?

Yes it is possible.  Two ways that I know. 

First, the way I just did it for my Joy cruise end of the month.  I used FCC in my account.  I had to get my travel agent to do it.  We have four folks in my suite.  Two of the four were upgraded. My wife and I.  The other two are the Perk Premium Drink Program

Second, to do it when you get onboard.  I know this because months ago, I reached a assistant to a vice president.  He told me simply to asks as I checked in onboard.  

The issue I thought was that folks in you suite could then take advantage of the two folks that upgraded.  Where this is true, the advantage is minimal.  The real issue as I was told is the NCL internal program makes the change a real hassle for them until you are onboard.  

I hope this answers your question.

53 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

First, the way I just did it for my Joy cruise end of the month.  I used FCC in my account.  I had to get my travel agent to do it.  We have four folks in my suite.  Two of the four were upgraded. My wife and I.  The other two are the Perk Premium Drink Program

Second, to do it when you get onboard.  I know this because months ago, I reached a assistant to a vice president.  He told me simply to asks as I checked in onboard.  

The issue I thought was that folks in you suite could then take advantage of the two folks that upgraded.  Where this is true, the advantage is minimal.  The real issue as I was told is the NCL internal program makes the change a real hassle for them until you are onboard.  

Thanks, I will take my chances and roll the dice to try to upgrade just mine once onboard. I don’t have any FCC to use to do it ahead of time. 

• Like 1

If you get the Premium Plus Beverage package be sure to check your onboard account daily for erroneous drink charges. We always get the PPB and a few times we’ve been changed for glasses of Veuve Clicquot or, on one occasion, a bottle of wine at dinner that had an asterisk on the menu. Since most times they don’t have you sign a receipt you don’t even realize you’ve been charged. 
At least once every cruise we go to The District Brew House and enjoy a bottle of Chima Grande Reserve ale and it always gets billed to the room LOL. A quick call to the haven concierge gets it removed.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, aero777 said:

If you get the Premium Plus Beverage package be sure to check your onboard account daily for erroneous drink charges. We always get the PPB and a few times we’ve been changed for glasses of Veuve Clicquot or, on one occasion, a bottle of wine at dinner that had an asterisk on the menu. Since most times they don’t have you sign a receipt you don’t even realize you’ve been charged. 
At least once every cruise we go to The District Brew House and enjoy a bottle of Chima Grande Reserve ale and it always gets billed to the room LOL. A quick call to the haven concierge gets it removed.

That is GREAT advice.  I have a habit of checking my account every single day.  This came from when I cruised decades ago with my children.  They thought the arcade, shops and soda's in the mini-Refrigerator were free. The habit of checking was created. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

That is GREAT advice.  I have a habit of checking my account every single day.  This came from when I cruised decades ago with my children.  They thought the arcade, shops and soda's in the mini-Refrigerator were free. The habit of checking was created. 

…and now it’s so incredibly easy to see your charges on the app compared to asking for a long print out📑

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Good to know. Someone else was able to do it once on board?

My wife doesn’t drink anything fancy so the regular package is perfect for her. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 12:21 PM, Sthrngary said:

I LOVE cruising and have for over 40-years.  In late May 2021, my family of five (5) and I will be going on our “Bucket List” cruise to Alaska, on the New NCL Encore.  This will be my wife and my 41st wedding anniversary.  Our 40th anniversary cruise, was cancelled, like many of you.  After 23 cruises in 40 years (the first was our honeymoon on the Norwegian SS Norway), I wanted to give some opinions on a couple of items that folks ask about all the time.  I wrote a cruisecritic.com  op-ed months ago, about the NCL Haven Experience.   It had GREAT readership and feedback.  So I thought I would write about another topic. Upgrading from the NCL perk for the “Premium Adult Beverage Package” to the “Premium PLUS Adult Beverage Package”.

If I have learned anything over the last decades of cruising; there is “No Free Lunch”.  Another words, there is a COST for everything. Many cruisers feel that purchasing a drink package at the retail price from most main stream cruise lines is ridiculously high.  I agree, yet most cruise lines provide an normal adult drink package as a perk (Premium Adult Beverage Package on NCL). From a full disclosure standpoint, this perk with NCL is NOT FREE.  You have to pay the tips on the package which is a confusion point when this perk is offered.  Still a bargain, if the perk is given. What my wife and I ALWAYS do is upgrade to the “Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package”.  The question is WHY?

Please understand your situation may differ, so this is just our preferred preferences. My wife LOVES, did I say loves, to drink wine.  At home, we sit on our roof deck almost every night and she takes a bottle up there so she does not have to go down three flights of steps in our town home, to get another glass.  On a cruise ship, my bride loves to sit on our balcony, and sip her wine.  However, when you get all the wine glasses you want with the Premium Adult Beverage Package, you still have to go to the bar to get another one.  If you want a bottle, you can ONLY get it from room service and there is a cost.  When you are dining, you have to keep on asking your waiter for another glass.  If that is all you know, you are fine with it.  However, when I go on vacation, I want to be pampered and so does my wife. I also do not want to have one item on my ship portfolio when the cruise is over.  Been there and done that way to many times.

When you upgrade to the “Premium PLUS Adult Beverage Package”, you can order a FULL bottle of selected wines with any of your meals.  You can take the unopened bottle back to your suite or have it delivered.  This allows there to be a bottle of wine (or two) in your room for the night time balcony ritual. Seems like a little thing, but it really made a HUGE difference for my wife’s experience on our last few cruises. 

I love premium bottled water.  Especially the nicer brands.  With the Premium PLUS Adult Beverage Package, bottled water is provided while dinning or in any bar.  I always bring these back to the room, just like the wine.  We love lots of water in the suite, especially at night.  Add to this, specialty coffee.  Normal coffee is always complementary for everyone on the ship.  Specialty coffee is NOT.  Every night, after dinner, I order a specialty coffee.  On some ships, there is a Starbucks also which may or may not be included in the Premium PLUS Adult Beverage Package.  Am I spoiled, YES I AM. 

Finally, drink cost limits.  We a very few exceptions, most every brand is available to you at NO addition add-on cost when you have the Premium Plus Adult Beverage Package.  If you just had the Premium Adult Beverage Package, you are limited to $15.00 per drink total.  Seems like a lot per drink? It is.  However, what I personally like to do is try the better premium brands.  I want to know what I am missing.  I assure all of you, I look for every opportunity to get the high-end stuff during my cruise, with this package. If I were to put this expense in to a phrase, it would be; “I want to feel like a rock star for one week a year!”  Is it worth the extra money, probably NOT.  Do I do it every time, YES I DO!

Feel free to comment and ask any question on this topic. I hope my experiences help some of you make a choice.  Cruise well, be safe and stay healthy.

What are the "waters" offered with this package? Also, if you take your wine bottle with you after dinner, do they re-cork it for you? Thanks in advance 😉

25 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

What are the "waters" offered with this package? Also, if you take your wine bottle with you after dinner, do they re-cork it for you? Thanks in advance 😉

Sparkling is San Pellegrino, still water is apparently "Just Water" now, which is a relatively new change.  

I've not had firsthand experience with the recorking but I've read they've done just that for others.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

First things first.  You quoted me two cancelations ago, LOL.  I am now on the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021.  Fun times.  On to your question.  

They had two bottle waters.  Gas and no gas.  It was Pellegrino.  Please also remember NCL is attempting to go to special water bottles that are like milk cartons now for sustainability issues.  I am not sure how that will effect the bottles of water.  My guess is, Pellegrino will still be available for the "Plus" program.

They do recork the bottle for you. The way we approached this benefit was.  We order a bottle of wine at dinner and usually finished it.  Then we ordered a second bottle, they opened it and we took it to the cabin.  We ended up with several opened bottles so we never ran out of cabin wine.

I hope that answers your questions.

Cruise well.

• Like 1