Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

I can totally get the “I’m on vacation, I don’t want to think about the cost of things” aspect to the upgrade. Been there, done that. But at the risk of sounding cynical, I’m sure the bean counters at NCL are banking on just that, literally. 💴 💰  😉 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I can totally get the “I’m on vacation, I don’t want to think about the cost of things” aspect to the upgrade. Been there, done that. But at the risk of sounding cynical, I’m sure the bean counters at NCL are banking on just that, literally. 💴 💰  😉 

You can apply that logic to the price of the cruise as well.  In the end, its just a matter of budget.

• Like 1

Just now, WarfRatWA said:

You can apply that logic to the price of the cruise as well.  In the end, its just a matter of budget.

True, although my options are pretty limited regarding the cost of the cruise itself-it’s pretty much take it or leave it. But I do have a choice about whether to upgrade. Since NCL forces everyone traveling in the same cabin to upgrade, I’m setting aside $243 in a separate bank account (cost of the upgrade for 1 person) and use it to pay for the extras. 😊 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

True, although my options are pretty limited regarding the cost of the cruise itself-it’s pretty much take it or leave it. But I do have a choice about whether to upgrade. Since NCL forces everyone traveling in the same cabin to upgrade, I’m setting aside $243 in a separate bank account (cost of the upgrade for 1 person) and use it to pay for the extras. 😊 

Whatever works for you, thats the way to go.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind paying for premium, but we are okay with the options in the regular package.  We are mainly vodka drinkers and are okay Goose or Tito's.  We typically buy a bottle of Malbec at Cagney's and he usually pays the upgrade for a 18 year old scotch when he enjoys a cigar.   

We also base it on where we are cruising and how many days we have at sea.  We are cruising with RC this May in Italy.  I wanted to check out their Oasis class.  We probably won't get a premium drink package since we will be off the boat for everyday for all day excursions.  

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

A little secret.  If you wait to upgrade until you get onboard, you can upgrade only one person in the cabin.  You can't do that ahead of time.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

A little secret.  If you wait to upgrade until you get onboard, you can upgrade only one person in the cabin.  You can't do that ahead of time.  

Thanks! That’s a great little tip. I will definitely keep that in mind. I wonder how they deal with the sharing issue in that scenario. I always assumed that was the reason it had to be all or nothing. Perhaps I’d get a little bracelet and could only, for instance, order one glass of bubbly at a time. Do you know how that works? Thanks again for the helpful hint. 

That's it!  I'm sold!  DH is not a drinker (at all), while I only drink top shelf (First world problems) and I was trying to justify this for our 2 upcoming cruises.  But if Starbucks is included, then his 3 coffees a day almost equals the price for him.  And I can get a bottle of Veuve at dinner every night!  Panama Canal, here we come!  Cheers!

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I work for NCL and have just reported this to those in charge.  Don't expect this to continue!!

(jk - great tip for those with sophisticated drinking habits - is that an oxy moron?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

I work for NCL and have just reported this to those in charge.  Don't expect this to continue!!

(jk - great tip for those with sophisticated drinking habits - is that an oxy moron?)

I literally can’t tell when you are joking. The driest sense of humor ever.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thanks! That’s a great little tip. I will definitely keep that in mind. I wonder how they deal with the sharing issue in that scenario. I always assumed that was the reason it had to be all or nothing. Perhaps I’d get a little bracelet and could only, for instance, order one glass of bubbly at a time. Do you know how that works? Thanks again for the helpful hint. 

First, I have 5 in my party in the same Haven Cabin.  All over 21 so all get premium drink package. I wanted the upgrade to premium plus only for my wife and I.  NCL can’t adjust the computer program Pre-cruise.  I emailed and was told it could be done once on board.  The issue with most exceptions on mainstream cruise lines is they program no flexible changes so their folks can’t change things even if they want too.  That is when you go up to supervisors.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

First, I have 5 in my party in the same Haven Cabin.  All over 21 so all get premium drink package. I wanted the upgrade to premium plus only for my wife and I.  NCL can’t adjust the computer program Pre-cruise.  I emailed and was told it could be done once on board.  The issue with most exceptions on mainstream cruise lines is they program no flexible changes so their folks can’t change things even if they want too.  That is when you go up to supervisors.  

Thanks! I can see it might be tricky to have to program all of those exceptional circumstances into their system, so it sort of makes sense you can’t do it until you’re on board. I’ll keep this in mind for our September sailing, assuming it happens, LOL. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I literally can’t tell when you are joking. The driest sense of humor ever.

🤣  Apparently...........you can!! 

Stick with me brother, we'll get "there."  Ironically, rats seem to have this sixth sense that allows them to always know when I'm joking.  With all due respect, you may not be much of a 🐀🙂

Pro tip:  just check the reactions to my posts.  If they're a bunch of rats laughing, it was a joke.

Edited by CaptainWoody
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2021 at 11:26 AM, Sthrngary said:

You will be fine.  I have a email that I got when I sent a document to the President of NCL Harry S.  When I get confused on a topic, I sent that email a question.  I do this very rarely.  My issue was the same as yours.  I wanted the Premium Plus Drink plan for my wife and I.  I did not want it for the other three in my cabin.  He assured me that once I got on board, I could do that.  I, because it is whom I am, saved the email for proof.  

As I said, I am a little crazy that once I get on a cruise, no contradictions happen on my planning so I can completely relax. So I take a folder with me.  Since taking that folder, I have had NO issues.  Funny how keeping a record of what folks say keeps things in order.  LOL.  Cruise Well.

Any way I can get a copy of this email LOL. Honeymoon planned for my now fiance soon to be wife on Getaway in October this year and I really want just to upgrade it for her since she LOVES Veuve and will be getting her moneys worth there for sure. I also dont want to run into objections when on board when I attempt to just upgrade one of us. Thanks in advance!

is there anyone that has any first hand experience in how they treat glasses of the ultra premium stuff if you have the premium plus package? i.e. I would really want to drink blue label on this cruise if possible and was told by my NCL cruise consultant over the phone I could with the package, but I read a lot that this is not the case. The spirit list flyer is very vague and mentions only spirit experiences are not included, but what the hell does that mean!? lol. Can i pay the difference over $35 for like Louis XIII or is there a discount? Any one know how the good stuff is treated?

Thank you for your clear details on the PLUS upgrade. There isn't any liquor that either my husband or I enjoy that we'd need the upgrade for, and we're ok with "by the glass" for wine (we generally establish a relationship with wait staff in a way that means we *never* have empty wine glasses at the table). 

BUT what I really wish NCL would consider is offering an upgrade for bottled water, specialty coffee, sodas, and fresh juices without the premium liquor. The full Plus upgrade isn't worth $29pp per day for us, but I'd definitely be willing to pony up for a package for the non-liquor items in the neighborhood of $15pp per day!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rmeister23 said:

is there anyone that has any first hand experience in how they treat glasses of the ultra premium stuff if you have the premium plus package? i.e. I would really want to drink blue label on this cruise if possible and was told by my NCL cruise consultant over the phone I could with the package, but I read a lot that this is not the case. The spirit list flyer is very vague and mentions only spirit experiences are not included, but what the hell does that mean!? lol. Can i pay the difference over $35 for like Louis XIII or is there a discount? Any one know how the good stuff is treated?

This is pre-pandemic experience but we had the premium plus on the Epic in Aug 2019.  I am a Scotch connoisseur.  Once the bartenders get to know that you have premium plus everything is on the table to try.  The flights of drinks are not included so for example a martini flight.  You simply just order one of each to get around that.  Back to the all important Scotch question.  Yes Johnny Blue was included in the package.  I had one bartender that questioned it but then gave it to me.  I usually ordered double shots.  The ship had a bartender that had worked in Scotland so he was very knowledgeable and he recommended a 21 year blended Scotch that was really good too.  He became our go to person for Scotch or cocktails.

With so many people having the bev package, you may have to point out that you have Premium Plus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

This is pre-pandemic experience but we had the premium plus on the Epic in Aug 2019.  I am a Scotch connoisseur.  Once the bartenders get to know that you have premium plus everything is on the table to try.  The flights of drinks are not included so for example a martini flight.  You simply just order one of each to get around that.  Back to the all important Scotch question.  Yes Johnny Blue was included in the package.  I had one bartender that questioned it but then gave it to me.  I usually ordered double shots.  The ship had a bartender that had worked in Scotland so he was very knowledgeable and he recommended a 21 year blended Scotch that was really good too.  He became our go to person for Scotch or cocktails.

With so many people having the bev package, you may have to point out that you have Premium Plus.

Your Sail & Sign Key Card should have that coded - stickered - embossed with the P + emblem

to wavier any overage {$15} on liquor charges. When run thru the scanner - No Charge !  

5 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Your Sail & Sign Key Card should have that coded - stickered - embossed with the P + emblem

to wavier any overage {$15} on liquor charges. When run thru the scanner - No Charge !  

Yes our cards were coded.  But before they even looked at the card or scanned it, waiters/bartenders would tells us "that's not covered in the package."  We had to point out that we had the Premium Plus package.  Once they saw the designation on our card, they were fine.  And we just kept going back to bartenders that we liked.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

Yes our cards were coded.  But before they even looked at the card or scanned it, waiters/bartenders would tells us "that's not covered in the package."  We had to point out that we had the Premium Plus package.  Once they saw the designation on our card, they were fine.  And we just kept going back to bartenders that we liked.

That is exactly what happened to me also.  Funny.  

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 4:13 PM, WarfRatWA said:

Greetings all,

I happen to catch a bug and I booked a haven suite on the new NCL Prima.  Very excited.  Not everything is listed in the explore and plan section on the website.  In fact there are more blanks than items with information.  But strangely in the summary section on "my account" it had the Premium Plus upgrade.  When I pulled up the flyer; it had noticeable changes.  Everything is listed by the bottle...there are no "by glass" listings for the premium plus package.  I specifically recall Moet et Chandon being listed by the bottle..its gone.  Veuve Cliquot is now listed as a champagne  by the bottle (previously by glass only).  I also notice some wines missing.  

I went and checked my sailing on the NCL Joy in January 2022, and the same Premium Plus flyer is there.  It looks like they made substantial changes to the premium plus package.

Are these new changes to the Premium plus package?  New flyer attached.

premium-plus-beverage-package - NCL Prima.pdf 723.29 kB · 80 downloads

Nice find!

Although I'm wondering if this is actually changing the program, or just making it easier to read.  As I recall (and as it says at the top of the flyer) 'ALL Beverages are included'.  I believe that already included wines by the glass.

I'm wondering if this flyer change is actually just removing the confusion of needing to look for a * to see which you can ALSO get by the bottle.  Would love to hear somebody's experience once they get back from a cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 11:42 AM, MNcruisingcouple said:

i know the haven lounge has Louis XIII and this will make or break the upgrade for me. Any idea on this? haha

On 7/30/2021 at 6:23 PM, Sthrngary said:

That is exactly what happened to me also.  Funny.  

Funny!  Yeah, just got off of the Encore with a similar experience.  It was great to have and bartenders were happy to give you a double Macallan if you wanted.

One gripe: it is nearly impossible to tell which bottles on the list at the MDRs are included or not.  Yes, there are "*" next to those, but in 6 point font and low light, good luck finding those quickly.  I sure wish they just gave you the list posted here.  Lesson learned, should have had it handy on my own.

On 8/20/2020 at 12:21 PM, Sthrngary said:

You can take the unopened bottle back to your suite or have it delivered

I will be getting the Plus package on my January cruise. Worth it to me because of the wine. But I read elsewhere that you can NOT get an unopened bottle. Bottles must be opened when served. Can someone verify one way or the other.

I will be primarily drinking by the glass because the selection is better.