Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Subsidiary question: is Cartagena that only name that is the name of two quite distinct Cunard ports? I'm just asking, I don't know the answer.

I know of two other names shared by two distinct Cunard ports.

Sydney (Australia and Nova Scotia)

St. John's (Antigua and Newfoundland)

Then I believe there are also multiple instances of Santa Cruz that could come into play (de Tenerife and de la Palma).

There are also two instances of Georgetown (Cayman Islands and Ascension Islands) I see in the itineraries, but the call to the Ascension Islands was only a cruise-by call, so that doesn't really count a true port of call.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I know of two other names shared by two distinct Cunard ports.

Sydney (Australia and Nova Scotia)

St. John's (Antigua and Newfoundland)

Then I believe there are also multiple instances of Santa Cruz that could come into play (de Tenerife and de la Palma).

There are also two instances of Georgetown (Cayman Islands and Ascension Islands) I see in the itineraries, but the call to the Ascension Islands was only a cruise-by call, so that doesn't really count a true port of call.

I've just thought of a possible triple. All three ships have at various times been anchored off Portland, Dorset. I have been to Portland, Maine on QE2. Has any of the most been to Portland, Or?

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I've just thought of a possible triple. All three ships have at various times been anchored off Portland, Dorset. I have been to Portland, Maine on QE2. Has any of the most been to Portland, Or?

Good thought. I don't see Portland, Oregon on any itineraries for the current Cunard fleet though. QE was scheduled to be in Astoria, Oregon (on the coast downriver from Portland) this past July as part of her 2020 Alaska season but of course that never happened.

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Good thought. I don't see Portland, Oregon on any itineraries for the current Cunard fleet though. QE was scheduled to be in Astoria, Oregon (on the coast downriver from Portland) this past July as part of her 2020 Alaska season but of course that never happened.

And we could put San Juan with the two St. John's, to make another triple.

Here's my next batch of port name anagrams. I'll add 10 of them this time since the first batch of 5 was solved so quickly. As before, please pick just one of these to solve per day.

Cunard Port Name Anagrams (Round 2)

6.  Inseams

7.  Emotive Nod

8.  Grocer Hub

9.  Roving Drone

10.  A Green Rig

11.  Glen Lit Now

12.  Protestant Pier

13.  Batting Pressure

14.  Featured Dollar

15.  A Damp Local Realm

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I suppose we can't have Edinburgh and Dunedin, because Edinburgh doesn't count as a port.

11  Wellington (New Zealand)

I must admit it didn't jump out to me, the way that words seem to easily appear from jumbled letters to those lucky people good at anagrams.  But I was afraid that one of the unsolved ports might be from my part of the world, and I'd be embarassed that I didn't see it straight away.  So I went down the list of usual suspect Aus/NZ ports (there aren't too many).  W being near the end of the alphabet, I think I covered about all of them before getting to Wellington.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sfred said:

11  Wellington (New Zealand)

I must admit it didn't jump out to me, the way that words seem to easily appear from jumbled letters to those lucky people good at anagrams.  But I was afraid that one of the unsolved ports might be from my part of the world, and I'd be embarassed that I didn't see it straight away.  So I went down the list of usual suspect Aus/NZ ports (there aren't too many).  W being near the end of the alphabet, I think I covered about all of them before getting to Wellington.

I figured that might be a good one for you to find. If I do another round, I'll be sure to include another port from Australia/New Zealand. I have a few more worked out from your part of the world that I could use.