Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Zadar is correct. Apologies for the alphabetical challenge. Bluemarble will hopefully opine on whether it's a Cunard port. 

I take on board Carlmm's comment - so will ease the flow hereon.

3 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Zadar is correct. Apologies for the alphabetical challenge. Bluemarble will hopefully opine on whether it's a Cunard port.

There's a review on Cruise Critic of a QV cruise calling at Zadar in June 2017.

It is/was scheduled for later this year. Whether that has/will be changed I don't know.

Yes, Zadar is most definitely a Cunard port. There is one call by QE and seven calls by QV in the past itineraries I have for the current fleet. I'm a little bit surprised we haven't seen Zadar here before now. I remember spending quite a bit of time a few months ago trying unsuccessfully to identify one of @carlmm's photos as being Zadar.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 2:50 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_3478.JPG

I think this photo from @Palmeat's contributions of a couple days ago is yet to be identified. After all the time spent trying unsuccessfully to match the earlier photo that turned out to be Fortaleza, and then subsequently identifying the photo of Salvador, I was pretty sure I had come across this skyline somewhere during my searches of Brazilian ports.

This looks like the port of Recife, Brazil.

It's not a port that has been visited by any of the current Cunard fleet. But I did discover Recife was a port of call on Sagafjord's 1994 world cruise. That's all it takes to count this as a Cunard port.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

This looks like the port of Recife, Brazil.

Thanks @bluemarble.  I did a lot of google searches for various combinations of "breakwater" "sea wall" "lighthouse" "port marker" "red" "white" and "orange" to try to find a clue for the structure on the seawall.  Lots of hits, but nothing with the right shape, colours, and seawall location.  Turns out that is the Recife lighthouse, a historical landmark opened 1822.

Well according to the list I downloaded on 6 April I believe I have another port - unless of course I've missed a weekend page or two somewhere recently.

No doubt about it being a  Cunard ship making an early morning entry but there is actually another clue for the eagle eyed...

DSC_3652.jpg

IMG_5518.JPG

I don't think this one has been identified, but I lost track in there somewhere of which ones had. Looking at the buildings, this appears to match Stone Town of Zanzibar (a.k.a., "Mji Mkongwe" or "Old Town" in Swahili I am told - that not being a language I speak, I cannot verify that), which is the old part of Zanzibar City, Tanzania.

I am assuming that the port is Zanzibar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Well according to the list I downloaded on 6 April I believe I have another port - unless of course I've missed a weekend page or two somewhere recently.

No doubt about it being a  Cunard ship making an early morning entry but there is actually another clue for the eagle eyed...

DSC_3652.jpg

Ah! I think that clue may be a little misleading. 

It's Queen Victoria and she's flying a French courtesy flag. But it isn't mainland France.

This is Le Port, Reunion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Ah! I think that clue may be a little misleading. 

It's Queen Victoria and she's flying a French courtesy flag. But it isn't mainland France.

This is Le Port, Reunion.

Yes Sir, and congratulations, I had thought of photoshopping the Tricolor out but hey, I'm a generous man at heart. 😁

Queen Victoria, 6 April 2019 ..

279721420_WelcometoReunion.jpg.09d1983727c2f0017c19f11086265e4b.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

9 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Well done ExArkie - Stone Town Zanzibar is correct. I think Bluemarble previously made a comment about Sea Goddess calling at Zanzibar, so guessing this counts as another Cunard port?

Yes, indeed. That previous comment of mine about finding a 1996 itinerary with Sea Goddess I calling at Dar es Salaam also included Zanzibar in that itinerary. So that qualifies Zanzibar as a Cunard port as well.

I believe all the remaining port photos show Cunard ports. Some do require going back to Cunard ships from the past to demonstrate that. I haven't figured out Solent Richard's latest photo yet, but he has stated it's a Cunard port.

By my count, once the remaining photos have been identified, we will have identified over 300 different ports and destinations on this thread! Well done everyone!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Well Done Colin on my last effort -  which leads me to one more Cunard port of call not yet on the list from my small collection...

DSC_8578.jpg.c796592eafd0820e432abfb602269485.jpg

Convinced this is Sept Îles, Canada. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 7:51 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

A waterfront view taken from the tender.

022.jpg

I think this is the oldest of our port photos that have not been solved yet, so I'll go ahead and identify this one for today.

This looks like Villefranche, France (or perhaps more precisely Villefranche-sur-Mer).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yaldi said:

Convinced this is Sept Îles, Canada. 

Congratulations, I'm convinced too. Sept Îles it is and it was in 2017 that that the Queen Mary 2  

changed her itinerary on short notice due to the 10-knot speed limit in the Gulf of St Lawrence to protect stray whales. She had to cancel a call at Gaspé...

1126867375_Gaspe4StatueEnMemoiredElle.jpg.93a2d09340f0860b373cad15ee18fdc8.jpg

...and go to Sept Iles instead. It was not planned to go to Sept Iles until 2018 but the call was nevertheless a sucess.

Sept Îles is well worth a visit...

492792760_SeptIles6RichardatZodiacgangway.jpg.b3773431970c6c1f67cddc03d1dc58b2.jpg

1705916679_VieuxPoste2Entrance.jpg.f7a8e5e85bf79f7b346f1d207ac8ec97.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think this is the oldest of our port photos that have not been solved yet, so I'll go ahead and identify this one for today.

This looks like Villefranche, France (or perhaps more precisely Villefranche-sur-Mer).

Well, rats. I did some searching on that one when it was first posted and came up with the same answer, but wasn't quite convinced - some discrepancies between port photos I found and the one posted, which I wanted to check further. Got busy (work interfering with my real life, yet again!) and never got back to it.

Recurring theme in my life: Too much data, too little RAM (referring to my own brain, of course)

I may be falling victim to a bluemarble misdirection as the yellow ferry company is Sardinia and Corsica ferries - so I was drawn to Corsica, but couldn't match the photo so reverted to Sardinia. I've visited Palau but I don't think it's there. Cagliari and Alghero are the other key cruise ports. It's not Cagliari, so is it Alghero?

47 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

I may be falling victim to a bluemarble misdirection as the yellow ferry company is Sardinia and Corsica ferries - so I was drawn to Corsica, but couldn't match the photo so reverted to Sardinia. I've visited Palau but I don't think it's there. Cagliari and Alghero are the other key cruise ports. It's not Cagliari, so is it Alghero?

Yes, I'll confess to a bit of misdirection going on in my previous post. The ferry Sardinia Vera is in the fleet of the Corsica Ferries - Sardinia Ferries line, but take a closer look at her livery in the photo. It has the color scheme of that line, but upon closer inspection what is visible of the top of the lettering on her side does not match up with spelling out the words "corsica ferries / sardinia ferries". There are only two words on her side, one word before the logo and the word "ferries" after the logo. This photo is showing an earlier incarnation of Sardinia Vera when she was on a route that included neither Sardinia nor Corsica.

13 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

024.JPG

Samos Greece

There's a good history of the Sardinia Vera at

https://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk/mv-sardinia-vera-past-and-present/

Including some photos of its service as Kallisti Ferries in 2008 when it was placed on the Piraeus - Samos route.  The configuration of the ferry pier at Samos seems to match to @Colin_Cameron's photo.

• Like 2

@sfred, Samos is also the port I came up with for @Colin_Cameron's photo. If you squint hard enough I think you can indeed make out the top half of the letters "Kallisti" on the side of ferry in the photo. Then a search for "Kallisti Ferries schedules" reveals past schedules for Sardinia Vera on the Piraeus - Samos route.

Oh, by the way, this video from @Colin_Cameron also helps.

Queen Victoria 2008

Samos starts at 17:37 into that video. There are some pretty good matches to the scene in the photo (minus the ferry) both at that point and then later at 19:26.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 9:48 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_2112.JPG

Today I'll go ahead and identify the port in this photo. I was confused for a while about this one since there are three boats in the photo which at first glance appear to have the United States Coast Guard insignia on them.

80px-CGMark_W.svg.png

I spent quite a bit of time trying unsuccessfully to identify this as a port in the United States.

As it turns out though that isn't the Unites States Coast Guard insignia in this photo after all. It's actually the insignia of the Italian Guardia Costiera.

80px-Guardia_Costiera.svg.png

Then it became a matter of searching for Italian ports we haven't seen yet on this thread. I eventually found a match to this photo at the port of Bari, Italy.

Bari is not a port for the current Cunard fleet, but I've found references that it was a port for both Cunard Princess and Vistafjord in 1992.