Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

10 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I reviewed the unseen port list and, out of the couple of hundred locations, I have actually been to one. This was not on a Cunard ship, but the picture below was taken as we were pulling into the port, just before docking. Unfortunately, my wife was ill for a couple of days and indisposed during our time in port, so I wandered about the ship taking pictures while she rested and recovered. She was okay for the rest of the trip. Not a lot to go on in this picture, so if no one gets it, I'll post a second picture from the location that is more easily identified.

image.thumb.png.e9fc8edea37eef00addb47e62c8902a8.png

This was a challenge but there is enough detail to work with once I started studying the right place. I think this is Hakodate, Japan.

50 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

This was a challenge but there is enough detail to work with once I started studying the right place. I think this is Hakodate, Japan.

This was definitely challenging me also.  There's lots of good clues in @ExArkie's photo, but the resolution wasn't enough for me to ID the ferry, the stern flag of the fire/tugboat spraying the blue water, or any of the harbourside buildings.

With @bluemarble's solution, I can see now that there's definitely a match to the Seikan ferry, which runs from Hakodate to Aomori.   But when I went to add Hakodate to my list of "seen" ports it was already there.  Doing a search back through Where in the World, we saw Hakodate and the ferry in @ExArkie's  post 3633 on 26 July 2021.

Edited by sfred

32 minutes ago, sfred said:

...   But when I went to add Hakodate to my list of "seen" ports it was already there.  Doing a search back through Where in the World, we saw Hakodate and the ferry in @ExArkie's  post 3633 on 26 July 2021.

Oops! I was definitely feeling a sense of déjà vu during that identification of Hakodate. Now I understand why.

Hakodate never made it to my "seen" ports list so I wonder how we have managed to have matching counts of seen ports up to now. With the addition of Endicott Arm as port 580 and now Hakodate, I have 581 seen ports. If you already had Hakodate, I suppose your count is 580. I'll attach my latest lists since we've started a new page. Hopefully you will be able to track down the discrepancy between our "seen" posts lists if there is one.

Where in the World 2022-09-01.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2022-09-01.txt

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Hopefully you will be able to track down the discrepancy between our "seen" posts lists if there is one.

An extract to Excel and a side-by side comparison quickly identified my missing port - Zanzibar, Tanzania. 

I didn't even have to go through the entire list before getting to "Z".  I looked at the bottom to verify that I had one less row than your list, and immediately saw the missing Zanzibar.  My port count now is also 581.

Just now, sfred said:

An extract to Excel and a side-by side comparison quickly identified my missing port - Zanzibar, Tanzania. 

I didn't even have to go through the entire list before getting to "Z".  I looked at the bottom to verify that I had one less row than your list, and immediately saw the missing Zanzibar.  My port count now is also 581.

Very good. You may have noticed I inserted Hakodate after Halifax in the new "seen" posts list. I have moved Hakodate up to the correct spot alphabetically for future updates.

9 hours ago, sfred said:

This was definitely challenging me also.  There's lots of good clues in @ExArkie's photo, but the resolution wasn't enough for me to ID the ferry, the stern flag of the fire/tugboat spraying the blue water, or any of the harbourside buildings.

With @bluemarble's solution, I can see now that there's definitely a match to the Seikan ferry, which runs from Hakodate to Aomori.   But when I went to add Hakodate to my list of "seen" ports it was already there.  Doing a search back through Where in the World, we saw Hakodate and the ferry in @ExArkie's  post 3633 on 26 July 2021.

Well, that explains a lot. I vaguely recalled having posted a photo from the Celebrity transpacific we did some time back, but since the latest version of “unseen” included Hakodate, I assumed - without verifying, which is against my training and instincts - I’d posted a different photo. Obviously, the port was correctly identified above.

By the way, I deliberately reduced the resolution on the photo before posting. Zooming in on my original version allowed one to read pretty much all of the lettering in the picture. 

Apologies for re-posting a port photo, but mostly apologies for not checking first when I suspected I had actually done so. A lot has happened during that year between posts…

No apologies necessary, @ExArkie. The fault was mine for not moving Hakodate from the unseen to the seen ports list last year. Besides, we have had numerous instances of the same port appearing multiple times on this thread so that's all good. It was fun going through the process of identifying Hakodate again.

19 hours ago, sogne said:

this is now an official sail by but was not on this cruise some years ago

I've gone through all the cruise-by locations on the unseen list, but unfortunaely cannot find a match.   Or perhaps my tired eyes missed somewhere.

14 minutes ago, sfred said:

I've gone through all the cruise-by locations on the unseen list, but unfortunaely cannot find a match.   Or perhaps my tired eyes missed somewhere.

I think @sogne's photo is showing us Eyjafjordur, Iceland. I found a couple similar views on photo sharing sites that I didn't recognize at first because they had a lot less snow. But the details along the shoreline are identical so I'm reasonably confident in that identification.

Edited by bluemarble

33 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think @sogne's photo is showing us Eyjafjordur, Iceland. I found a couple similar views on photo sharing sites that I didn't recognize at first because they had a lot less snow. But the details along the shoreline are identical so I'm reasonably confident in that identification.

Ah, I think you are correct @bluemarble.  In google maps, I found a photo (actually a 6-second video) of the Fossdalsfoss, on the westerm shore of the fjord, that is a match. 

My earlier searches of all the unseen cruise-bys were just in google images.  The images for  Eyjafjordur didn't have this view, at least not in the first several pages of images displayed before I gave up and moved on to the next location.

You are up early this morning your time (or I hope it hasn't been an all-nighter?).

Edited by sfred

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Ah, I think you are correct @bluemarble.  In google maps, I found a photo (actually a 6-second video) of the Fossdalsfoss, on the westerm shore of the fjord, that is a match. 

My earlier searches of all the unseen cruise-bys were just in google images.  The images for  Eyjafjordur didn't have this view, at least not in the first several pages of images displayed before I gave up and moved on to the next location.

You are up early this morning your time (or I hope it hasn't been an all-nighter?).

No all-nighter for me. I got up early when I saw @sogne's post about the 2024 itineraries. I wanted to wait a few more hours for you or anyone else to work out that Eyjafjordur photo before posting what I had found.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here is a Cunard port we haven't seen yet but it is also not on our unseen ports list. This image is from a post on another forum. The contributor there has graciously agreed I can share this image here. Where in the world is this?

Is this Haines, Alaska?  I think some ships diverted there because of the rockslide at Skagway, and perhaps QE did also.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sfred said:

Is this Haines, Alaska?  I think some ships diverted there because of the rockslide at Skagway, and perhaps QE did also.

It is Haines, Alaska. I don't think it was a diversion though. We just missed it as a new port of call for Cunard this year. Haines is listed for QE on June 7, 2022 in the 2022 Cunard brochure and that's the date of the photo. That was during QE's first Alaska cruise this season. QE is also scheduled for Haines next year on June 13, 2023.

Credit to Edward Webster who took that photo of QE at Haines.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Thanks - wow, we're now at 21 "seen" ports for Alaska, accounting for 38% of all US locations, and more than three times as many as the next highest state, which is Florida at only 6. 

Edited by sfred

Unfortunately I have long since ran out of new unseen port pictures, and it has been good fun investigating the new recent contributions.  While we are waiting for more, here is an alternative view of a port already on our seen list.  A while back, I contributed a picture of this Cunard ship from this port.  Here is a reverse photo from the ship back to this location.  We were at anchor and tendering due to the other ship occupying the berth.

image.thumb.png.2a93f3468109e3f945aebe44a01621d6.png

Edited by sfred

7 minutes ago, sfred said:

Unfortunately I have long since ran out of new unseen port pictures, and it has been good fun investigating the new recent contributions.  While we are waiting for more, here is an alternative view of a port already on our seen list.  A while back, I contributed a picture of this Cunard ship from this port.  Here is a reverse photo from the ship back to this location.  We were at anchor and tendering due to the other ship occupying the berth.

image.thumb.png.2a93f3468109e3f945aebe44a01621d6.png

99% sure that's Kotor.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, pkster said:

99% sure that's Kotor.

Welcome to our game @pkster. Always good to see new participants. That looks like a solid identification to me. That was fast!

I'll take on the secondary task of identifying the other cruise ship in the photo. I think that's Fred. Olsen Braemar. My research tells me Braemar only had that specific livery during 2016, so have I identified the correct year for your photo, @sfred?

2 hours ago, pkster said:

99% sure that's Kotor.

20 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think that's Fred. Olsen Braemar. My research tells me Braemar only had that specific livery during 2016, so have I identified the correct year for your photo, @sfred?

Correct all around!

@pkster - that is indeed Kotor Montenegro.  In the photo from the ship, about two thirds of the way up the mountain is Kotor Fortress.   Back in August 2020, in post 163 page 7, I submitted a photo of QV from the Fortress, and @Host Hattie correctly identified Kotor.  It was a great climb with stunning views, and we felt well justified in having dessert at dinner that evening.

image.thumb.png.170996d01dc2fa7226383039555a52bb.png

@bluemarble, you are correct that the other ship in port that day, occupying the berth and just out of view to the left in the photo from the Fortress, is the Fred Olsen Braemar.  The photos were taken on 28 Sep 2016 on our trip from Civitavecchia to Venice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sfred said:

Correct all around!

@pkster - that is indeed Kotor Montenegro.  In the photo from the ship, about two thirds of the way up the mountain is Kotor Fortress.   Back in August 2020, in post 163 page 7, I submitted a photo of QV from the Fortress, and @Host Hattie correctly identified Kotor.  It was a great climb with stunning views, and we felt well justified in having dessert at dinner that evening.

image.thumb.png.170996d01dc2fa7226383039555a52bb.png

@bluemarble, you are correct that the other ship in port that day, occupying the berth and just out of view to the left in the photo from the Fortress, is the Fred Olsen Braemar.  The photos were taken on 28 Sep 2016 on our trip from Civitavecchia to Venice.

We were there in 2016 as well.  We did the hike up to old fortress too, and yes, the views are stunning.  Kotor was not originally on our cruise itinerary.  However, there was a failed coup attempt in Turkey right at that time, so Kusadasi and Split were dropped from the itinerary and replaced with Rhodes and Kotor.  Although I was disappointed we didn't get to go to Ephesus, I really liked Rhodes and Kotor.  Getting to Kotor is like sailing through a fjord, which is quite spectacular.

Edited by pkster
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, pkster said:

We were there in 2016 as well.  We did the hike up to old fortress too, and yes, the views are stunning.  Kotor was not originally on our cruise itinerary.  However, there was a failed coup attempt in Turkey right at that time, so Kusadasi and Split were dropped from the itinerary and replaced with Rhodes and Kotor.  Although I was disappointed we didn't get to go to Ephesus, I really liked Rhodes and Kotor.  Getting to Kotor is like sailing through a fjord, which is quite spectacular.

The sail-in to Kotor is indeed spectacular isn't it?  The colours of the mountains are beautiful.  Here is a picture from QV at dawn.  Kotor is around the upcoming bend to the right.

My welcome as well to this "Where in the World" game!  Might you have any new pictures of Cunard ports to share?

image.thumb.png.dc4a9dd1ed02e5f0deb91a17e3b46a00.png

8 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't think I have posted this before probably because it's such a terrible photograph. I don't think it's very challenging and it's certainly not a new port but for extra points when was it taken and where was I ?

P1020632.jpg

Here's a photo of mine I'll share showing a similar but not quite so foggy day. I believe mine may have been taken from the same location as @Host Hattie's but with a wider angle of view and a different Cunard ship at the far left. I'll offer this as a hint to those who might be able to recognize this view of mine.

For the date of @Host Hattie's photo, it's showing QM2 prior to the 2016 remastering, so I think we can date it to no later than May 2016. I'll need to do some more detective work to see if I can narrow that date down any further.

1305277424_WhereintheWorld(105).thumb.jpg.67d184e6366bc2fc2f2768b45f227fef.jpg

• Like 1