Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

The ship is QE. Those cruisemapper schedules appear to be incomplete. That visit to Valencia by QE was on 25 January 2022. That was rearranged from the originally scheduled call there a day earlier. Most of the dates ended up being rearranged for the ports on that January 2022 QE cruise to Spain and Portugal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sogne said:

I think that is QE Nov 21 with largeAida ship behind we arrived Midday after aborting Cadiz. It appears wet on cam and indeed there was heavy rain for a time.

It could just as well have been that November call by QE. The only way I know for sure is that I saved that webcam image on 26 January 2022, apparently the day after I copied it into my photo editor to decide if I wanted to post it on the "Queen Elizabeth Position" thread. In the event, I decided not to do so since it is such a long distance view, but that webcam image has now managed to see the light of day on this thread instead.

59 minutes ago, sogne said:

where are we

abc.JPG

That looks familiar.

Just re-read your question, so was about to post the wrong answer. 

I'm guessing you are on the island of Staffa, famous for Fingal's cave. Looking at the islands of Bac Mor, better known as the Dutchman's Cap, and Bac Beag.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 1

How about this one? It's another webcam image from my archives showing a distinctively different view of a port we've already seen on this thread. I'm stretching the premise here since there is no Cunard ship in this view but at least there are several cruise ships from other lines. I think I can make the stretch work by stating there is at least a tenuous Cunard connection to this post.

568114959_WhereintheWorld(99).thumb.jpg.d70eade15e94e7249f4f98a906534234.jpg

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

How about this one? It's another webcam image from my archives showing a distinctively different view of a port we've already seen on this thread. I'm stretching the premise here since there is no Cunard ship in this view but at least there are several cruise ships from other lines. I think I can make the stretch work by stating there is at least a tenuous Cunard connection to this post.

568114959_WhereintheWorld(99).thumb.jpg.d70eade15e94e7249f4f98a906534234.jpg

I’m at the Helsinki airport, en route to Germany, and discovered we were playing this game again. Great, it was lots of lockdown fun.

This photo looks like Copenhagen to me. I have spent some significant time on the ground there and recall that multi-point roof by the first cruise ship as being their “new” cruise terminal. Plus, the wind farm in the harbor looks familiar.

• Like 2

I'd agree with Copenhagen.

There is a 'dreamstime' watermarked photo online that shows the terminal building.

Google satellite view and many other photos are older and don't show it.

• Like 1

Well done, @ExArkie and @D&N. That is a view which includes the Oceankaj Cruise Terminal at Copehagen. That's the newer cruise terminal further out from the more central Langeliniekaj which Cunard typically uses.

The tenuous Cunard connection I mentioned to that post of mine is that QV happens to be in Copenhagen today and tomorrow (at the Langeliniekaj).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

How about this one? It's another webcam image from my archives showing a distinctively different view of a port we've already seen on this thread.

Oh no....   Cargo cranes.  I think I lost about half my eyesight before trying to match cargo crane photos.  😎  

Thankfully @ExArkie and @D&N may have saved my remaining sight.  Much appreciated!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, sfred said:

Oh no....   Cargo cranes.  I think I lost about half my eyesight before trying to match cargo crane photos.  😎  

Thankfully @ExArkie and @D&N may have saved my remaining sight.  Much appreciated!

I almost mentioned that image of mine might present a dilemma involving the identification of cargo cranes. I fondly recall the hours we've spent on this thread identifying ports by matching the cargo cranes in the images. 

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

I didn't know this was a Cunard port of call.

I've not been there but did take the photo.

It's cropped from a wide angle photo. The angle and centre of focus may have distorted perspective as I find it hard to believe it's in shot, but can't be anywhere else.

IMG_20210802_121354786_HDR 1[1].jpg

16 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That looks familiar.

Just re-read your question, so was about to post the wrong answer. 

I'm guessing you are on the island of Staffa, famous for Fingal's cave. Looking at the islands of Bac Mor, better known as the Dutchman's Cap, and Bac Beag.

correct except taken from QE  last September

Hi @bluemarble.  Can I get a "ruling on the field" for whether the two recent cruise-bys qualify as "seen" ports?  Just wanting to update my dataset for the analytics model.

Vågsøy, Norway  (port 572)

Bac Mor / Bac Beag island, Scotland UK  (port 573)

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, sfred said:

Hi @bluemarble.  Can I get a "ruling on the field" for whether the two recent cruise-bys qualify as "seen" ports?  Just wanting to update my dataset for the analytics model.

Vågsøy, Norway  (port 572)

Bac Mor / Bac Beag island, Scotland UK  (port 573)

Thanks!

Yes, I have added those two cruise-by calls to the "seen" ports list. That's now a total of 573 "seen" ports by my count.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, D&N said:

I didn't know this was a Cunard port of call.

I've not been there but did take the photo.

It's cropped from a wide angle photo. The angle and centre of focus may have distorted perspective as I find it hard to believe it's in shot, but can't be anywhere else.

Le Lavandou, France, to the east of Marseille?  There's some offshore islands (Ile du Levant) that have some similar shapes, and hills to the north where your photo may have been taken, althugh I cannot find an exact match to the village.  Enough similarities to be worth a guess, though?

2 hours ago, sfred said:

Looking back at @Solent Richard's original contribution of Le Lavandou in May 2021, apparently the town has a ferris wheel which isn't shown in @D&N's current photo.  So my guess is likely wrong.

Close.

It's the furthest away island, which is listed as a not seen port.

Confusingly it is known by two names. The less official, which I thought was the group, is listed.

Ah yes, got it now.  Thanks!   I did manage to get fairly close.

As I've used my guess for the day, I'll wait for tomorrow.  Others are most welcome in the meantime to use these hints to ID the port.

Edited by sfred

I'm going to pass on this one @sfred. After you went out on a limb and took a guess that is oh so close, I think you deserve to take full credit for this one. If I have it figured correctly, this almost could have been a two-ports-for-one photo. I think your guess might be just barely out of the frame to the right.

My thoughts entirely @bluemarble.

I was only out of bed briefly as the cats were demanding attention, hence the brief response.

@sfred, you certainly had found the island, and deserve the credit.

The list of not seen ports has "Porquerolles, France". And further googling reveals that is probably the official name of the island. Here news articles tend to mention "Les Porquerolles" but the group is actually Îles d'Hyères.

The original photo will be focused on us, last summer on our first visit to The Esterel, making the islands look much closer than they should be. Porquerolles is 48 miles from the spot where the photo was taken. That was at Pic de l'Ours, shown in 2nd photo with it's TV transmitter mast.

I thought posting the full photo would just be too obvious.

I'm not sure whether this allows you to move the port to the "seen" file, it's not exactly a close view of it.

IMG_20210802_121354786_HDR 1.jpg

IMG_20210802_104416254_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, wow! That's quite the long distance shot. No wonder I couldn't figure out where it was taken even after knowing generally what we were seeing in the photo.

Yes, that's good enough to move Porquerolles to our "seen" list. Thanks for helping us add another "seen" port.

By the way, @Colin_Cameron should be able to tell us about Porquerolles as a Cunard port. He reported earlier that the former Cunard ship Sea Goddess II called there at some point in the past.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, D&N said:

The list of not seen ports has "Porquerolles, France". And further googling reveals that is probably the official name of the island. Here news articles tend to mention "Les Porquerolles" but the group is actually Îles d'Hyères.

I'm not sure whether this allows you to move the port to the "seen" file, it's not exactly a close view of it.

Thanks @D&N.  Google maps is indecisive on whether to call the island Ile de Porquerolles or Îles d'Hyères.  As I zoom in or out, the name of the island changes from one to the other.  Whatever the name, the surrounding area looks like a wonderful place for bush walking.  The views from the Pic de l'Ours, both in your photo and in google, are stunning.

I definitely think this qualifies as port number 574 on our "seen" list, particularly as it's an original photo.  Thanks for the excellent challenge!

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1