Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

This is definitely stretching the definition but at least it's my own photograph 

IMG_20170329_104759.jpg

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

No, the missing port is on the island in the distance. The photograph was taken from another island in the same group.

I think I contributed that port earlier in the thread.

Ah, I think I've found this one with the help of that clue. Before that hint I had been going down a rabbit hole trying to identify the type of tree in the photo and attempting to discern if there was any meaning to the arrangement of the rocks on the beach. They almost look like they are arranged to spell something.

I think that's a view of Fuerteventura, Canary Islands as seen from the island of Lanzarote. Almost two years ago (August 28, 2020) we identified your photos of Arrecife, Lanzarote.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Well done @bluemarble, apologies to everyone else but I haven't actually been to Fuerteventura so it was the best I could do from my own photographs

As far as I'm concerned, since you have a photo of Fuerteventura, even if it is from a distance, that's good enough for our purposes. We've had several contributions of public domain photos (myself included) where the contributor only visited the port's city and never got to the cruise port itself. Having your own photo to contribute is a step ahead of the game in my view.

• Like 1

Here's one from my webcam collection which may be a bit devious. I've cropped off the header and footer labels which would give it away otherwise.

This is not a new port but it is a different perspective on one we've already seen. The port itself can't actually been seen in this view. It's behind the hill and off the right side but it is only a few miles away.

Which port has the Cunard ship departed and which ship is it? Bonus points for naming the town seen at the right in this view.

240683292_WhereintheWorld(97).jpg.807ebb373382438fa103340b80b59f89.jpg

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one from my webcam collection which may be a bit devious.

I think it may be a country that drives on the left?  The road is approaching a curve, and the centre markings are solid on the left (no overtaking) and dashed on the right (overtaking), so perhaps the road straightens out behind the camera.  Also the overhead sign at the bend looks to be over the left side lane. 

I have a meeting to run to this morning, but will come back for further investigation later today.

Edited by sfred

I may have gone down the wrong rabbit hole with the idea of left-driving.  I can't find a match.

If @Host Hattieis correct about Iceland, then Akureyri and route 82 on the west side of the Eyjafjordur would be a likely candidate.  The terrain is a rough match, but I can't find a specific location for the webcam.

49 minutes ago, sfred said:

I may have gone down the wrong rabbit hole with the idea of left-driving.  I can't find a match.

If @Host Hattieis correct about Iceland, then Akureyri and route 82 on the west side of the Eyjafjordur would be a likely candidate.  The terrain is a rough match, but I can't find a specific location for the webcam.

Looks like you picked up on my positive reaction to @Host Hattie's post as indicating the webcam image is indeed from Iceland. Akureyri is a very good guess but I'm sorry to say that's not correct.

To prevent this becoming a simple guessing game since there are only a few other Cunard ports in Iceland, I'd like to request that additional answers explain the reasoning similar to what @sfred has done here. To borrow a phrase from my school days, please "show your work". Hopefully that will include picking up the extra credit for identifying the town in the webcam image as well.

I will offer additional clues tomorrow if necessary.

• Like 1

Well spotted, @Host Hattie.

I see now how I missed that one.  Google street view doesn't cover the highway north of Isafjordur on the west side of the fjord, only route 61 on the east side.  So I stopped looking.  I should have been able to tell from the map outlines of land and sea, however.  D'oh!  It is always a lot clearer once you know what to look for.

• Like 1

Thanks -  it was really your success.  I spent far too much time earlier today looking at likely places in left-drive countries, and then looking at roads and towns near Akureyri.

Hopefully the Iceland ministry of transport never finds out that I initially thought the webcam image indicated left-driving.  They'd justifiably never allow me to to hire a car there!  😃

Edited by sfred
  • Haha 1

Full marks for that answer, @Host Hattie. That's Queen Victoria departing Ísafjörður on July 17, 2022. Translating to English, that's the "Bolungarvík tunnel east" webcam at Hnífsdal.

The camera is hosted by the Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration. To bring the discussion full circle, since the camera is above a tunnel entrance, I suppose that's why the road's center markings indicate "do not pass" for traffic entering the tunnel while those exiting the tunnel are allowed to pass.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sogne said:

this just qualifies as a sail by although you have to stay up late to see it 

xyz.JPG

That's a good one and an interesting cruise-by location to add to our list.

I started looking along the coasts of Dorset, Devon and Cornwall since you'd normally be up late to see those during a QM2 transatlantic crossing. But of course that was fruitless. Next I started looking at some of the cruise-by calls in Scotland but I didn't spend much time on those since the clue about having to stay up late didn't make much sense for those. Then I found a match in Norway and that clue made perfect sense. You would sail by this location during late or very early hours on your way from/to the fjords leading to Olden, Norway.

I think this photo is showing us the west coast of the island of Vågsøy, Norway. The profile of the coastline in the distance is a good match to the Einevarden Bird Sanctuary.  (https://www.explore62.com/attractions/bird-sanctuary-einevarden)

• Like 1

Is it cheating to use a reverse search?

Cropping in to this distinctive section gives me: Bird sanctuary Einevarden?

I assume the port would be Måløy.

Beaten! Taking too long to verify the port!

xyz.JPG.ec72249726aefcda017164071a9128f2.jpg

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

Just now, D&N said:

Is it cheating to use a reverse search?

Cropping in to this distinctive section gives me: Bird sanctuary Einevarden?

I assume the port would be Måløy. 

xyz.JPG.ec72249726aefcda017164071a9128f2.jpg

To quote myself from one of the early posts on this thread about using any available hints in the photo, "Heck no, that's not cheating, that's research!". Wow, we both posted our answers within a minute of each other. How's that for timing?

• Like 2

Could this be Valencia Spain on the Malvarrosa Beach promenade?  There's some clue matches in Google streetview to the rows of palm trees, the public notice signboard with the wooden roof, and the shape of the low wall along the beachfront.  Valencia also has a cruise ship pier roughly where the webcam photo shows the ships.

However, google street view shows different types of street lamps from the webcam, and also a different textured footpath surface, so perhaps I have this wrong.  I've "walked" along the promenade in street view but cannot find the precise location shown in the webcam.

I also hoped to get a clue from the street sign on the lamppost, perhaps from the language or wording, but the resolution isn't enough to make out any words.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

Very good. That is indeed Valencia, Spain, @sfred. The webcam is just a bit further north than you were looking, along the promenade at Patacona Beach (Plaja de Patacona). There you will find street lamps which match those in that webcam view. I believe the precise location of the webcam is near (and perhaps on the roof of) the Falla Patacona.

Now if I told you I captured that webcam view since the restart of operations, which Cunard ship would that be seen at the pier off in the distance?

• Like 1

Thanks!  I got lucky with a general google search for webcam beach promenades, and Valencia came up as one of the candidates.  Google maps confirmed the cruise ship pier configuration seen from the webcam, and then street view confirmed some of the other details like the beach wall and public notice signboards.  If I had "walked" just a little further north to the Plaja de Patacona I would have matched the other clues also.

Now, which ship?  https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/valencia-port-678 has schedules going back to December 2021, but there have been no Cunard ship arrivals listed between December '21 and now.  So it must have been before December.  If I recall, QE did some Med itineraries after the UK-only voyages at the beginning of the restart.  So I'll say QE?

Also wasn't QV off on quarantine duty in the Caribbean around that time?  So unlikely to have been QV in the webcam.  One unfortunate outcome of the QV refit is that it is much tougher to distinguish QV and QE from a long distance away.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks!  I got lucky with a general google search for webcam beach promenades, and Valencia came up as one of the candidates.  Google maps confirmed the cruise ship pier configuration seen from the webcam, and then street view confirmed some of the other details like the beach wall and public notice signboards.  If I had "walked" just a little further north to the Plaja de Patacona I would have matched the other clues also.

Now, which ship?  https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/valencia-port-678 has schedules going back to December 2021, but there have been no Cunard ship arrivals listed between December '21 and now.  So it must have been before December.  If I recall, QE did some Med itineraries after the UK-only voyages at the beginning of the restart.  So I'll say QE?

Also wasn't QV off on quarantine duty in the Caribbean around that time?  So unlikely to have been QV in the webcam.  One unfortunate outcome of the QV refit is that it is much tougher to distinguish QV and QE from a long distance away.

I think that is QE Nov 21 with largeAida ship behind we arrived Midday after aborting Cadiz. It appears wet on cam and indeed there was heavy rain for a time.

• Like 2