Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Yaldi said:

The Port of Bridgetown, Barbados. 

SeaDream l formerly Sea Goddess l and Queen Mary 2.

Correct on all points. That photo is from our recent November 26th call to Bridgetown during our Caribbean cruise on QM2. Of course the other ship in the photo, SeaDream I, isn't currently a Cunard ship but she was as Sea Goddess I.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sfred said:

Welcome back home, @bluemarble!  Hope your voyage was good.

Thanks. Yes, we had an enjoyable cruise on QM2. I'll post the webcam image I mentioned earlier that I have saved around this time tomorrow. That's a capture showing a Cunard ship at a cruise-by location we haven't seen yet and isn't on our unseen ports list.

Edited by bluemarble

It looks like this webcam could be in the Canadian pacific northwest, somewhere around Vancouver Island on the approach or departure from Victoria or Vancouver.  I haven't found an exact location yet, however.  Will keep looking. 

(Of course I might have also gone down a rabbit hole...  🐰)

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I think that looks like the view from Molde, Norway, looking south.

Well done, @Colin_Cameron! That view of QV is from the "Molde Live" YouTube stream.

It looks like I'm going to have to retract my statement that this is a cruise-by we haven't seen before though. I was going to say that webcam image is showing a new cruise-by location of Moldefjord, Norway. But upon further review, it looks like Moldefjord is an arm of the longer Romsdalsfjord we recently saw in a photo from @photosg which @sfred contributed. I think it's more accurate to say QV is sailing in Romsdalsfjord in that webcam view from Molde.

Sorry, @sfred, if I sent you down a rabbit hole by diverting your search away from Romsdalsfjord.

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Well done, @Colin_Cameron! That view of QV is from the "Molde Live" YouTube stream.

It looks like I'm going to have to retract my statement that this is a cruise-by we haven't seen before though. I was going to say that webcam image is showing a new cruise-by location of Moldefjord, Norway. But upon further review, it looks like Moldefjord is an arm of the longer Romsdalsfjord we recently saw in a photo from @photosg which @sfred contributed. I think it's more accurate to say QV is sailing in Romsdalsfjord in that webcam view from Molde.

Sorry, @sfred, if I sent you down a rabbit hole by diverting your search away from Romsdalsfjord.

If I were adept at manipulating images, I should enjoy showing a Cunarder in a rabbit warren. Luckily you are spared. 😀😀

• Haha 3

Congratulations @Colin_Cameron!

This wasn't my first time, nor certainly my last, that I've been looking in the wrong side of the world.  As compensation, I did find several very nice webcam views of the scenic passages of British Columbia   I'll have to remember them as possibilities for when QE returns next year.

20 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm mostly finding what looks like quayside and/or container terminal for the left foreground on port maps. By honing in on ports @Lanky Lad has visited recently, I'm getting a pretty good match to Santa Cruz de La Palma.

You are spot on @bluemarble thankfully, the rain cleared up until sailaway when get another rainbow.

Let's try this one. This is a webcam capture showing a distant view of a Cunard ship departing a port we've already seen. I've cropped the webcam banner for obvious reasons, but I've also cropped a portion of the remaining image so that it's not instantly recognizable to a google image search.

591678541_WhereintheWorld(124).jpg.18fddf9ddcb5afa8d414f9c49568f74f.jpg

On 12/11/2022 at 10:30 AM, bluemarble said:

Let's try this one. This is a webcam capture showing a distant view of a Cunard ship departing a port we've already seen. I've cropped the webcam banner for obvious reasons, but I've also cropped a portion of the remaining image so that it's not instantly recognizable to a google image search.

591678541_WhereintheWorld(124).jpg.18fddf9ddcb5afa8d414f9c49568f74f.jpg

Here's a follow-up image for today. This is a different webcam capture from the same afternoon showing a partial view of the Cunard ship as it was just getting underway from the same port. Again I have cropped some of the full webcam image to prevent google image search from recognizing it immediately. Mostly what I've cropped out are a few more cranes off to the right and more of the bridge structure similar to what's shown in this view.

366848329_WhereintheWorld(124a).jpg.7dc87ef5fe17d4ed47be5b442c9ea749.jpg

Edited by bluemarble

I think I've seen a google image of every cargo and storage tank facility in the world -- except for this one. Unfortunately the wording on the orange striped tanks is tantalizingly indecipherable. No luck either with the previous coastal photo.  I admit defeat.   Hopefully someone else has recognised the locations?

31 minutes ago, sfred said:

I think I've seen a google image of every cargo and storage tank facility in the world -- except for this one. Unfortunately the wording on the orange striped tanks is tantalizingly indecipherable. No luck either with the previous coastal photo.  I admit defeat.   Hopefully someone else has recognised the locations?

Have a look at Santander, the bridge, striped shed and silos are all present. Quite a clever one as it was a maiden call for the ship recently.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

Have a look at Santander, the bridge, striped shed and silos are all present. Quite a clever one as it was a maiden call for the ship recently.

Well done, @Yaldi. Those are both webcam captures from the Puerto de Santander website showing QV's maiden call there on October 27, 2022. That website has multiple webcams with three of them providing views of QV's departure that day. I posted a capture from one of them at the time on the "Queen Victoria current location" thread and have been saving the other two for later use here.

Here are the uncropped images for reference.

cam2.thumb.jpg.7985b211704e0f3d408a1c9b360fe87e.jpg

cam3.thumb.jpg.58b490644f4090e530860e01a4728d20.jpg

• Like 1