Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @sogne.

@bluemarble, I presume Cabot Strait, Canada will be a new cruise-by?  If so, my count makes this number 601.  Does that agree with your number?  I don't think there's been a new port since we reached 600 in late November.

I am running out unless I search my old print photos from my working life for ports etc that Cunard have visited. However this year we have at least two new ports on our booked cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @sogne.

@bluemarble, I presume Cabot Strait, Canada will be a new cruise-by?  If so, my count makes this number 601.  Does that agree with your number?  I don't think there's been a new port since we reached 600 in late November.

@sogne contributed a photo of Denmark Strait in post #4375 from December. Since we've been counting other straits, I'll go ahead and count "Denmark Strait, Iceland" as number 601 on our seen list.

That would make Cabot Strait number 602. I've been recording the specific Canadian provinces in our list but I'm not sure what to use for Cabot Strait. @sogne, is the land in your latest photo on the coast of Newfoundland or Nova Scotia? I'll use that to determine which province to record for Cabot Strait on our list.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

@sogne contributed a photo of Denmark Strait in post #4375 from December. Since we've been counting other straits, I'll go ahead and count "Denmark Strait, Iceland" as number 601 on our seen list.

That would make Cabot Strait number 602. I've been recording the specific Canadian provinces in our list but I'm not sure what to use for Cabot Strait. @sogne, is the land in your latest photo on the coast of Newfoundland or Nova Scotia? I'll use that to determine which province to record for Cabot Strait on our list.

Newfoundland 

• Thanks 1

This may be a good time to post updated lists of the ports/cruise-by locations we've seen on this thread and Cunard ports we haven't seen yet. As always, I'd like to encourage everyone to contribute photos you may have showing any of the unseen ports or different perspectives of ports we have seen already.

Where in the World 2023-01-21.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2023-01-21.txt

I ran across this photo in my archive files, and realised it can be another "reverse" view of an already seen port.  The previous photo contributed here was of the Cunard ship from the port.  This one is the port from the ship.

image.thumb.png.302792cb526c4b48b71f3e417cd0d9f1.png

12 minutes ago, sfred said:

I ran across this photo in my archive files, and realised it can be another "reverse" view of an already seen port.  The previous photo contributed here was of the Cunard ship from the port.  This one is the port from the ship.

Good to see another contribution. I'll defer identifying this one for now to give others (especially those in the UK) a chance at it. I believe I identified this one after a bit of a struggle the first time around.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sfred said:

We're at the 24-hour mark for this contribution from @sfred so I'll go ahead and identify it now. The triangular structure to the right of center and to the left of the bridge was the key to identifying this one. I think this is Aomori, Japan.

That same triangular structure was also the key to identifying this port the first time around. That's the Aomori Prefecture Tourist Center seen mostly side-on in this earlier view.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:15 AM, sfred said:

And finally, with this photo I'm afraid I've reached the end of my port+ship photos.  I saved it for last because I thought it might be too hard.  But having seen the detective skills on display in this thread, perhaps it is easier than I thought.  QE moored at pier.image.thumb.png.4d22988d2d126e35b27fe7e2157dce84.png

• Like 1

Absolutely correct @bluemarble.  Both photos were taken on QE's call to Aomori on 7 May 2019, after departure from Tokyo and before our transpacific to Alaska. 

While the cherry blossoms were already gone in Tokyo, they were in full display in the parks of Aomori, and we had a very pleasant day roaming the city.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:17 AM, bluemarble said:

This may be a good time to post updated lists of the ports/cruise-by locations we've seen on this thread and Cunard ports we haven't seen yet. As always, I'd like to encourage everyone to contribute photos you may have showing any of the unseen ports or different perspectives of ports we have seen already.

Where in the World 2023-01-21.txt 12.77 kB · 2 downloads     Cunard ports not seen yet 2023-01-21.txt 5.13 kB · 7 downloads

this is certainly a different perspective of a well known port

also what was the occasion and where exactly is this location?

DSCF7240.JPG

2 hours ago, sogne said:

this is certainly a different perspective of a well known port

also what was the occasion and where exactly is this location?

DSCF7240.JPG

That is indeed an interesting new perspective on a well known port. At first I thought it might be the crowd at St. Nazaire for the launch of QM2. But that turned out to be a dead end.

Then I remembered another event where large crowds gathered to watch a Cunard ship (actually three Cunard ships). That was the Three Queens meeting in Liverpool to celebrate Cunard's 175th anniversary in May 2015. From your previous posting history, we know you were on QE for that event.

But I was having trouble proving that shot is actually from Liverpool because I couldn't find any images showing that ramp descending to water level along the Liverpool waterfront. I was doubting my identification. Then I found this page from the Liverpool Echo which clinched the deal.

25 pictures that recall the Three Queens celebrations a year on

Take a look at picture 11. That's an excellent match and its caption reads:

"Cunard 175th celebrations on the River Mersey. Crowds line the Wirral waterfront"

Further research along the Wirral waterfront helped narrow down the precise location. I believe what we are seeing here is the Monks Ferry slipway in Birkenhead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I believe what we are seeing here is the Monks Ferry slipway in Birkenhead.

That location apparently also goes by the name Priory Wharf jetty, Birkenhead. Making sure I have the location identified precisely. 😀

Edited by bluemarble

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I think @bluemarble has it. I think that qualifies as a "new" port, if not a new port.

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

For the record, @sfred has shown us photos of QE's call yesterday at the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal. I was hoping he would be able to post some shots of that visit, especially since Brisbane was not originally on any of QE's itineraries this season.

Brisbane is of course correct.  When I read here on Cruise Critic last week that QE would be coming to Brisbane, I had to go over for a look.  It was QE's first time back in Brisbane since April 2020, when she stopped in for provisioning after leaving Gladstone for the shutdown period in Manila.  It was also the first use by Cunard of the new Brisbane cruise terminal.  QM2 will be arriving here on 8 March, but QE's rescheduled itinerary enabled her to be the first.

Two other pictures from yesterday's call.  We had a nice summer day for QE's passengers - sunny and around 32 or so.

image.thumb.png.a846aecdfc27112179320ca66cc2cb07.png

image.thumb.png.8cb111909030b0dedea468828ccbf36e.png

What we need to decide now is whether Brisbane's new cruise terminal qualifies as a "new port" in our game.  Brisbane has already appeared here, in @bluemarble's post 954 back on 29 September 2020.  That contribution was a webcam of a QM2 visit to the previous cruise ship pier, a very unsightly industrial facility at the Grain terminal on Fisherman Island. 

There is some precedent in our game for different locations at the same port being counted individually.  Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Bayonne are three different locations in the NY/NJ area.  Stavanger and Mekjarvik in Norway are counted separately.  So perhaps Brisbane (Cruise terminal) should be counted separate from Brisbane (Grain terminal).

On the other hand, we haven't counted the various Southampton terminals separately, perhaps because they are nearby to each other.  While the new Brisbane terminal is separate from the Grain terminal, on opposite sides of the Brisbane River, they are only a few hundred meters.apart - the width of the river.

image.png.f8e6afe6eaee568b1f2b6d46a208ab92.png

So it could go either way, I guess.  What should be the official ruling?

15 minutes ago, sfred said:

Brisbane is of course correct.  When I read here on Cruise Critic last week that QE would be coming to Brisbane, I had to go over for a look.  It was QE's first time back in Brisbane since April 2020, when she stopped in for provisioning after leaving Gladstone for the shutdown period in Manila.  It was also the first use by Cunard of the new Brisbane cruise terminal.  QM2 will be arriving here on 8 March, but QE's rescheduled itinerary enabled her to be the first.

Two other pictures from yesterday's call.  We had a nice summer day for QE's passengers - sunny and around 32 or so.

image.thumb.png.a846aecdfc27112179320ca66cc2cb07.png

image.thumb.png.8cb111909030b0dedea468828ccbf36e.png

What we need to decide now is whether Brisbane's new cruise terminal qualifies as a "new port" in our game.  Brisbane has already appeared here, in @bluemarble's post 954 back on 29 September 2020.  That contribution was a webcam of a QM2 visit to the previous cruise ship pier, a very unsightly industrial facility at the Grain terminal on Fisherman Island. 

There is some precedent in our game for different locations at the same port being counted individually.  Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Bayonne are three different locations in the NY/NJ area.  Stavanger and Mekjarvik in Norway are counted separately.  So perhaps Brisbane (Cruise terminal) should be counted separate from Brisbane (Grain terminal).

On the other hand, we haven't counted the various Southampton terminals separately, perhaps because they are nearby to each other.  While the new Brisbane terminal is separate from the Grain terminal, on opposite sides of the Brisbane River, they are only a few hundred meters.apart - the width of the river.

image.png.f8e6afe6eaee568b1f2b6d46a208ab92.png

So it could go either way, I guess.  What should be the official ruling?

I think we may have counted different terminals in London. What have we done about Lisbon? Anyway, it’s lovely to see the pictures of the new terminal.

My original thinking was the new terminal isn't really a different port. But the precedents we've set in New York and London are good reasons to count two ports for Brisbane as well.

I think the deciding factor for me is that the address for the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal is "1 Cruise Terminal Drive, Pinkenba QLD" (aka "Luggage Point"). On the other hand, the address I'm seeing for the Grain Terminal across the river is "8 River Dr, Port of Brisbane QLD" (aka "Fisherman Island"). That's a good enough reason for me to count two ports for Brisbane as suggested, @sfred.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's another image from my webcam collection showing a Cunard ship arriving at a port we've already seen.

WhereintheWorld(134).thumb.jpg.76951f6a50459b702ce1e919f6c7e34f.jpg

Hilo Bay, on the big island of Hawaii.  The webcam is at the Pacific Tsunami Museum.  Perhaps taken on QV's recent call during her 2023 world voyage?

The white weather observation tower in the centre of the webcam photo was the key feature that I found in a google search.  When I then found the webcam, interestingly the live stream broadcast today has similarly stormy weather to this photo.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

My original thinking was the new terminal isn't really a different port. But the precedents we've set in New York and London are good reasons to count two ports for Brisbane as well.

I think the deciding factor for me is that the address for the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal is "1 Cruise Terminal Drive, Pinkenba QLD" (aka "Luggage Point"). On the other hand, the address I'm seeing for the Grain Terminal across the river is "8 River Dr, Port of Brisbane QLD" (aka "Fisherman Island"). That's a good enough reason for me to count two ports for Brisbane as suggested, @sfred.

Great, thanks.  I will record them as Brisbane (Cruise terminal), and Brisbane (Grain terminal) in my dataset.  Port number 28 for Australia, and 603 in total.

2 minutes ago, sfred said:

Hilo Bay, on the big island of Hawaii.  The webcam is at the Pacific Island Tsunami Museum.  Perhaps taken on QV's recent call during her 2023 world voyage?

The white weather observation tower in the centre of the webcam photo was the key feature that I found in a google search.  When I then found the webcam, interestingly the live stream broadcast today has similarly stormy weather to this photo.

Correct on all points. That is indeed a very recent webcam capture showing QV's arrival at Hilo on 12 February.