Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 1/8/2023 at 9:03 PM, sfred said:

Congratulations @Yaldi!  I had made no progress at all at identifying the first webcam photo.

Yes, the second photograph was necessary. I remembered the red sheds from my visit there, a number of years ago which set me on the right track.

13 hours ago, Yaldi said:

Yes, the second photograph was necessary. I remembered the red sheds from my visit there, a number of years ago which set me on the right track.

I saw the first photograph and thought, "That looks familiar." Did not have a chance to follow up for a couple of days, at which time the second photograph had been posted and the port identified. The reason it looked familiar? I was on QM2 at Le Havre on 14 December 2022, when the Web cam image was captured. I did recognize the port from the second photograph.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:46 AM, DaisyDancer said:

image.png.9541d4b538432688544d3422ee197b0b.png

HH, here's a clue for this one. It was an unscheduled stopover due to very rough seas in early 2018. The ship in the distance is the QV.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:53 AM, bluemarble said:

That clue helped a lot. That's Praia da Vittoria in the Azores.

1 hour ago, DaisyDancer said:

This was taken in atrocious weather and very rough seas on departing from this place. A little clue - it was an unscheduled stopover. 

20180111_165320.thumb.jpg.3ec7c8b7e3016f343e59849c0f607e4e.jpg

A valuable clue in your latest photo is that the attachment is named "20180111_165320.jpg". QV diverted to Praia da Vitoria overnight on January 10-11, 2018. Perhaps not coincidentally, today is the fifth anniversary of the day you arrived there on the 10th.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to say your latest photo is also Praia da Vitoria.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to correct my spelling in the identification of your first photo. I just noticed that I mistyped Vitoria with two t's in my answer from 2020.

Edited by bluemarble

On 1/11/2023 at 3:21 AM, sogne said:

might have had this port  ship is in turning basin before berthing

bnm.JPG

I think I've found this one. The port is Warnemünde, Germany.

Quite fortuitously there is a photo sphere in Google Street View taken on board a ferry just a bit south of the Warnemünde Cruise Center providing a nearly identical image even down to one of that ferry's life boats being included in the view (the IMO number on the life boat identifies that ferry as Copenhagen). The photo sphere is identified as Pagenwerder which appears to be the name of the island in this photo.

That is Wellington New Zealand.  RNZB is the Royal New Zealand Ballet.  The modern building in the left of the photo is the Michael Fowler event centre, and the more historical building in the middle is the boating and rowing clubs on Whairepo lagoon.

Wellington has changed and grown so much since I first went there in the 1980s on some of my first consulting projects.  It was a rather small town in those days.  (So was Brisbane!)

I can't be sure of the Cunard ship, but odds are it is QE. 

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sfred said:

That is Wellington New Zealand.  RNZB is the Royal New Zealand Ballet.  The modern building in the left of the photo is the Michael Fowler event centre, and the more historical building in the middle is the boating and rowing clubs on Whairepo lagoon.

Wellington has changed and grown so much since I first went there in the 1980s on some of my first consulting projects.  It was a rather small town in those days. 

I can't be sure of the Cunard ship, but odds are it is QE. 

Yes, that's QE from here recent call at Wellington on December 28th, 2022. I figured RNZB would be a giveaway if nothing else was.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, that's QE from her recent call at Wellington on December 28th, 2022. I figured RNZB would be a giveaway if nothing else was.

The RNZB logo did make it easier, but I would have recognised the area anyway.  I spent many a weekend day walking along the waterfront.  In the 1980s, Wellington closed down at noon Saturday and was quiet until Monday morning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That looks like Funchal, Madeira.

That's correct. That image happens to be from QV's recent call at Funchal on New Year's Eve. It shows QE docked that afternoon prior to moving out to the anchorage for the fireworks display at midnight. Here's another image I posted on the "Queen Victoria current location" thread captured from the same site (www.madeira-web.com) showing the fireworks display with QV at the far right.

698504603_QVMadeira2023-01-01.thumb.jpg.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sogne said:

this  area of water is maned after an early European explorer working for a  country other than that of his birth

nbm.JPG

Not that I recognized the island in the photo, but I know that Vitus Bering was a Danish explorer working for the Russian Empire. I'll go with the Bering Strait.

You didn't ask about the island itself, but in an attempt to get a little extra credit and based on my idea that it is the Bering Strait...it seems to be a reasonable facsimile of Big Diomede. It's a bit hard to discern the exact outline of the island with the cloud cover, but from what I saw, all photos of it appear to be shrouded in clouds.

3 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Not that I recognized the island in the photo, but I know that Vitus Bering was a Danish explorer working for the Russian Empire. I'll go with the Bering Strait.

You didn't ask about the island itself, but in an attempt to get a little extra credit and based on my idea that it is the Bering Strait...it seems to be a reasonable facsimile of Big Diomede. It's a bit hard to discern the exact outline of the island with the cloud cover, but from what I saw, all photos of it appear to be shrouded in clouds.

not this side of North American continent   and the land is not an island