Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

11 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks for your recent photo, @NE John.  My first thought was Messina also.

Here is a webcam screenshot of an already-seen port.  Our game's previous contribution for this port (which was not posted by me) was taken from a ship but did not feature a Cunard ship.  Sorry for the tilted angle - that's the webcam, not the port.  🙂image.png.c240a916ebe745322582dfeec0bcf658.png

I have been neglecting my duties and hadn't been looking for a webcam image at this port! It's not a webcam I was familiar with until now. Looks like this may have been close to a real-time posting. This is Naha, Okinawa where QE departed about seven hours ago.

• Like 2

Ugh, I didn’t do a good enough zoom-in to see the back of the ship realizing now it’s not QM2…

At least I figured the ship in the webcam is presently sailing on a current voyage.

This game is fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I have been neglecting my duties and hadn't been looking for a webcam image at this port! It's not a webcam I was familiar with until now. Looks like this may have been close to a real-time posting. This is Naha, Okinawa where QE departed about seven hours ago.

Correct! It was a live webcam of the Naha port area, taken yesterday 16 April during QE's port call.  The previous contribution for this port came from @Essiesmom on 17 July 2021, post number 3592.  That photo was of the Naha pier, taken from the decks of Star Princess. 

I was really hoping to find a webcam of QE's recent calls to Hualien Taiwan and Ishigaki Japan, which would have been unseen ports for the game, but I couldn't find any cameras that covered the shipping areas.  Ishigaki had a real time camera of a traffic intersection in the centre city, in high definition 4K, and Hualien had several cameras covering nearby parks and walking trails, but nothing at the piers that I could find.

1 hour ago, NE John said:

This game is fun!

It is rather addictive, isn't it?  🙂

• Haha 1

Here's another webcam image from my archives showing a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before. There's more detail here than some of my more obscure webcam captures of beach scenes, so hopefully this one is identifiable without too much difficulty. No port cranes to work with this time though. 🙂

WhereintheWorld(137).jpg.a39e0afb1bba61d6a5baeb29142672b5.jpg

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Could it be St. Peter Port, Guernsey?

That's correct. That image is from the Victoria Marina webcam found on Nest's webcam page for the Island of Guernsey (at "www.nest.gg"). It shows QV's call at St Peter Port last year on August 2, 2022.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's another webcam image from my archives showing a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before. There's more detail here than some of my more obscure webcam captures of beach scenes, so hopefully this one is identifiable without too much difficulty. No port cranes to work with this time though. 🙂

WhereintheWorld(137).jpg.a39e0afb1bba61d6a5baeb29142672b5.jpg

I think I've tracked down the identify of the other cruise ship in this image (to the right of center). That's probably Emerald Princess. She was on a British Isles cruise from Southampton with a call at St Peter Port scheduled for August 2, 2022. And that profile is a pretty good match to Emerald Princess.

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Here's a port we've seen before, at least this photograph has a ship !

FB_IMG_1682087145824.jpg

I haven't figured out the location yet. I'll start by attempting to identify the ship. This looks like one of the Hurtigruten ships. The best match appears to be MS Otto Sverdrup, formerly known as MS Finnmarken until 2020.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 9:27 AM, Host Hattie said:

Here's a port we've seen before, at least this photograph has a ship !

FB_IMG_1682087145824.jpg

43 minutes ago, Sue-B said:

I’m thinking it looks like Wales maybe….

Well, that certainly helps concentrate the search! I can stop looking at ports in Norway and the Hebrides and Orkneys now.

There aren't many ports in Wales on our seen ports list. But even better, there is only one port in Wales on the current itineraries for Hurtigruten in general and Otto Sverdrup in particular. From there it took a bit of searching but I eventually found a match for the coastline in this photo at Fishguard, Wales.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

That's correct Fishguard Bay Welcome kindly let me post their photograph. Here's a bonus photograph of MS Maud in Fishguard with added gulls !

FB_IMG_1682178470091.jpg

Isn’t it extraordinary that herring/heron gulls are supposed to be endangered? There are zillions round here - and, it seems almost everywhere I go on Cunard ships.

Edited by exlondoner

It's always good to see new names joining our game. Welcome to @alc13 and @Sue-B!

Although we haven't officially identified your current "by request" photo yet @alc13, it's clear several of us have figured it out. I'd also like to make a request for a photo of the port you visited yesterday since that's a new Cunard port we haven't seen yet. There are going to be several other ports on your current itinerary we haven't seen yet, so it would be great if you could contribute photos of those ports as well when the time comes. Thanks so much for adding to our seen Cunard ports list!

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

It's always good to see new names joining our game. Welcome to @alc13 and @Sue-B!

Although we haven't officially identified your current "by request" photo yet @alc13, it's clear several of us have figured it out. I'd also like to make a request for a photo of the port you visited yesterday since that's a new Cunard port we haven't seen yet. There are going to be several other ports on your current itinerary we haven't seen yet, so it would be great if you could contribute photos of those ports as well when the time comes. Thanks so much for adding to our seen Cunard ports list!

Thank you for the lovely welcome! 😊

• Like 1