Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

It's been great following the experiences on the new Queen Anne these past days.   For those like me not fortunate to be aboard, here a little "Where in the World" diversion.

This is a port on our seen list.  I'm here for two weeks on a work project and had this past middle weekend to wander around.  I tried a search for the original poster and identifier for this port, but it must be a little too old.

20240428_100120.jpg

• Like 1

Here also is an "extra credit" photo of a different port in this country.   It's not on our seen or unseen lists but I've not found any evidence of Cunard having called here.   I had a work meeting here today and had an early morning walk along the waterfront before starting the day. 

20240507_102005.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sfred said:

It's been great following the experiences on the new Queen Anne these past days.   For those like me not fortunate to be aboard, here a little "Where in the World" diversion.

This is a port on our seen list.  I'm here for two weeks on a work project and had this past middle weekend to wander around.  I tried a search for the original poster and identifier for this port, but it must be a little too old.

20240428_100120.jpg

I’m shocked, shocked I say, but I think it might be Casablanca.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I’m shocked, shocked I say, but I think it might be Casablanca.

Casablanca is correct!   After posting I tried a google search rather than the cruise critic search, and found the original Casablanca post by @sogne and identified by @Colin_Cameron in the very early days of the game.   

The photo is the Hassan II mosque along the waterfront.   A very impressive building.

Last Friday we had a drink at Rick's Cafe.  A little touristy but good fun.  We left after one drink, also shocked to observe gambling, but we needed to get our letters of transit from the piano in order to depart Morocco later this week. 😀 

20240428_094842.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, sfred said:

Casablanca is correct!   After posting I tried a google search rather than the cruise critic search, and found the original Casablanca post by @sogne and identified by @Colin_Cameron in the very early days of the game.   

The photo is the Hassan II mosque along the waterfront.   A very impressive building.

Last Friday we had a drink at Rick's Cafe.  A little touristy but good fun.  We left after one drink, also shocked to observe gambling, but we needed to get our letters of transit from the piano in order to depart Morocco later this week. 😀 

20240428_094842.jpg

I was going to ask if you had been to Rick’s. If you have those letters, tread carefully and keep an eye out for potential assassins. I suppose you might say the original Rick’s Café was a little touristy too. 😀😀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I was going to ask if you had been to Rick’s. If you have those letters, tread carefully and keep an eye out for potential assassins. I suppose you might say the original Rick’s Café was a little touristy too. 😀😀

I think Major Strasser has been following us ever since!  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sfred said:

I think Major Strasser has been following us ever since!  😀

On the other hand, a slightly anonymous man with a gorgeous wife might offer you a fortune for them. 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sfred said:

Here also is an "extra credit" photo of a different port in this country.   It's not on our seen or unseen lists but I've not found any evidence of Cunard having called here.   I had a work meeting here today and had an early morning walk along the waterfront before starting the day. 

20240507_102005.jpg

Knowing the country based on the previous Casablanca identification helped to narrow down this location. I think this is Essaouira, Morocco. Yeah, I'm not finding any evidence that a Cunard ship has called here either. Looks like an interesting location for a work meeting. Hopefully you avoided any serious intrigues here. 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Knowing the country based on the previous Casablanca identification helped to narrow down this location. I think this is Essaouira, Morocco. Yeah, I'm not finding any evidence that a Cunard ship has called here either. Looks like an interesting location for a work meeting. Hopefully you avoided any serious intrigues here. 🙂

Essaouira is correct.  An interesting port town with a nice historical Medina and waterfront. 

23 hours ago, sogne said:

this although not an obvious view is an as yet unseen sail by

xcv.JPG

I found an online photo of the building and falls, which google maps says is on the Innvikfjorden in Norway.

• Like 1

Here's a webcam capture of a Cunard ship arriving at a port we haven't seen yet on this thread and this port is not on our unseen ports list. This was a maiden call for this ship and perhaps the first time any Cunard ship has called there. As usual, I have blurred the webcam's captions at the upper left.

WhereintheWorld(179).thumb.jpg.b014430520dca5b75da690dd9bfb115f.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam capture of a Cunard ship arriving

I was hoping you might capture the arrival or departure!!  I made a diary note to try to have a look, but unfortunately have been in the wrong time zone lately.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam capture of a Cunard ship arriving at a port we haven't seen yet on this thread and this port is not on our unseen ports list. This was a maiden call for this ship and perhaps the first time any Cunard ship has called there. As usual, I have blurred the webcam's captions at the upper left.

WhereintheWorld(179).thumb.jpg.b014430520dca5b75da690dd9bfb115f.jpg

Beppu, Japan

The breakwater is a good clue. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sfred said:

I found an online photo of the building and falls, which google maps says is on the Innvikfjorden in Norway.

Correct another one off the unseen list

I will post another profile later

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, babs135 said:

Obviously not Cunard, but it is a port they visit.

dp1.JPG

Oddly enough, I think I've figured this one out by starting with the identification of one of the tugboats in this photo. I'm getting a match to a tug named Sheringa (ex Marrakai) for the tug closest to the camera. The current location for that tug is Adelaide, but this photo doesn't match up with that port. And the current livery for Sheringa isn't quite right either.

However, a review of photo archives for that tug when she was Marrakai are a better match. And they provided a location which does match up with this photo quite nicely, using older photos of the area around the cruise terminal more so than current photos. It looks like this walkway to the terminal may be covered now based on recent images I'm finding.

Anyway, it was a roundabout way to get there, but I think this one is Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Anyway, it was a roundabout way to get there, but I think this one is Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia.

You are correct. Taken in 2011. I'll have to look for something a bit harder!

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

Posting 2 photos this time as neither have very much info other than what you can see. 

rock1.JPG

rock2.JPG

The top picture looks very much like a photo I took from a non-Cunard ship at anchor in Cabo San Lucas while on a Panama Canal transit (Los Angeles to Miami…or was it Fort Lauderdale? Been a few years).

8 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

The top picture looks very much like a photo I took from a non-Cunard ship at anchor in Cabo San Lucas while on a Panama Canal transit (Los Angeles to Miami…or was it Fort Lauderdale? Been a few years).

You are indeed correct.