Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

15 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This is part of the St Petersburg Dam on Kotlin Island near St Petersburg, Russia which provides flood control when needed.

We did have a photo of one of the St Petersburg cruise terminals earlier, but I can understand how you would have missed it since the answer for that photo was misspelled as "St Petersbugh".

correct one of several projects we have seem develop over the years others being new bridge in Cadiz and new WC stadium in St Petersburg 

this is a sail by homeward bound after a well visited port and passage

bnm.jpg

Edited by sogne

On 10/11/2020 at 8:35 AM, bluemarble said:

I've managed to find another photo showing a port we haven't seen here yet. This even shows a tiny bit of the Cunard ship at the far right to barely qualify as a ship in port photo.

image.thumb.png.ed0c14d2a57e2dc5283c863fe04f9b9a.png

Time for a hint on this one. This photo was taken near the cruise terminal at this same port.

image.thumb.png.6901178a7ee3e8b017e32467b36faaad.png

8 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Thank you!

I think this is Limassol.

That's correct. That's Limassol, Cyprus.

Do you have any further hints on your Caronia photos? I've managed to find some bits and pieces of old Caronia itineraries out of Fort Lauderdale. Some of the ports I'm seeing there are ports not on any itineraries for the current Cunard fleet, but I can't match up any of them to your photos. For example, I thought I was on to something when I saw Devil's Island listed on those Caronia itineraries, but that proved to be a dead end.

32 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Do you have any further hints on your Caronia photos? I've managed to find some bits and pieces of old Caronia itineraries out of Fort Lauderdale. Some of the ports I'm seeing there are ports not on any itineraries for the current Cunard fleet, but I can't match up any of them to your photos. For example, I thought I was on to something when I saw Devil's Island listed on those Caronia itineraries, but that proved to be a dead end.

This is a photo of the first place.

DSC06267 (2).JPG

Here are some other older port photos I don't think we've identified yet. I know I could use some additional hints on these.

From @sogne:

On 10/2/2020 at 8:43 AM, sogne said:

jkl.JPG

A follow-up to that previous photo:

On 10/5/2020 at 5:38 PM, sogne said:

not yet identified I think

yui.JPG

Another from @sogne:

On 10/7/2020 at 6:01 PM, sogne said:

we might have had before but never mind

qed.JPG

From @Underwatr:

On 10/7/2020 at 10:19 AM, Underwatr said:

Just enough to go by here, maybe.

IMG_0948.thumb.JPG.3bf7a509fe1f1464e26326f254447311.JPG

From @Host Hattie:

On 10/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, Host Hattie said:

A sail in

Screenshot_20201009-164943.png

5 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Here's one I'm pretty sure I've shared on CC before. A little tricky, but bonus points for providing my location for taking the photo...

IMG_20190505_053624__01.thumb.jpg.96d888fabdf70995ca9224d990f7f91a.jpg

Oh, yes, I remember when you posted this photo of QM2 arriving in New York. As I recall, you took it from the Staten Island Ferry.

7 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

That is the three graces in Liverpool  Liver Building Cunard building and Port of Liverpool building.

I knew that looked familiar, just couldn't place it right away. And it's not a view across to Birkenhead this time 🙂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a QE bridge webcam image of a port we haven't seen here yet. This one's a bit of a cheat since this wasn't a typical call at this port. But QE has called here before when it was a regular port call.

image.png.30915885dafe8eac94a4961cffd6e9e6.png

Is that Manila during the layup time?  The ships were all located roughly to the west of the city, so if that's a sunrise the geography works out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sfred said:

Is that Manila during the layup time?  The ships were all located roughly to the west of the city, so if that's a sunrise the geography works out.

Exactly right. That's a webcam image of QE at Manila Anchorage that I captured at 7:41am on May 26, 2020 (Manila time) during her extended layup there earlier this year.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here are some other older port photos I don't think we've identified yet. I know I could use some additional hints on these.

From @sogne:

A follow-up to that previous photo:

Another from @sogne:

From @Underwatr:

From @Host Hattie:

the first 2 photos of mine are actually the same port

a clue is perhaps needed

the captain on that cruise was in home waters  and the next port was his home

he was possibly the one of the few people on board who could pronounce the name of this port correctly

Here's another obscure shoreside webcam image from my collection. I think this is the last one I have showing a port we haven't seen yet. That's QM2 anchored off shore in the upper left of this image. Someone might recognize this. If not, I'll offer a hint tomorrow as usual.

image.png.556925e13f3202bbe74b6beb99e0fc8d.png

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I didn't think Cunard had started calling at Pwllheli and Machynlleth. 😀

to clarify the non UK captain was close to his home port in what was once and still is home waters this was not a reference to UK home waters

On 10/13/2020 at 7:33 AM, bluemarble said:

Here's another obscure shoreside webcam image from my collection. I think this is the last one I have showing a port we haven't seen yet. That's QM2 anchored off shore in the upper left of this image. Someone might recognize this. If not, I'll offer a hint tomorrow as usual.

image.png.556925e13f3202bbe74b6beb99e0fc8d.png

A big hint for this one is that it was captured only one day apart from this other one I posted previously.

image.png.83bd62b9a0189356e98fcdd55d6f1a

10 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Cairns ?

Correct. That's from a webcam that I don't think exists any more called "CairnsCam". That day on the itinerary is listed as "Cairns (Yorkeys Knob)". One site I found includes a dead link to that webcam which indicates it was at Palm Cove which would be a bit to the north of both Cairns and Yorkeys Knob.

• Like 2

Here's a bit different kind of "Where in the World?" puzzle. This is a QE bridge webcam image. I've blurred out the month and day from this image but left the rest visible. One detail to note is that the time shown here is one hour behind the actual local time at this location.

Of course another detail you'll notice right away is that you can't actually see any port here. That's because this image was captured a few hours after QE departed her previous port. What I'm looking for here is just the name of the country of QE's previous port based on the clues in this image.

A bonus point is available if you can also name QE's previous port from this image. I think there's enough information here to allow you to determine that port if you have access to QE's past itineraries.

image.png.ddefbdd9d27b62f3960f32238a1b233c.png

Edited by bluemarble