Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

We've had this port before but I don't think I've posted this ....

Screenshot_20201004-122917.png

30 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I haven't started working on identifying this port yet, but the other ship joining QM2 in this photo is the ex Seabourn Legend (now Star Legend since 2015).

I think this port is Bridgetown, Barbados. QM2 and Seabourn Legend were both there on December 28, 2009 during your Christmas cruise that year.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 9:38 AM, bluemarble said:

How about this QM2 bridge webcam image? It's a destination we haven't seen yet.

image.png.83bd62b9a0189356e98fcdd55d6f1a67.png

Time for a hint on this one. There are several "Islands" shown in this webcam image. Quite a few more in the area not seen here.

19 minutes ago, carlmm said:

It's sometimes interesting to watch the development of some of the people with Cunard.

Over the years we've watched a waiter, a deck steward, and a busboy all become maitre d'. We've known four officers as they climed the ranks to become captain. And two dancers and one of the cruise staff work their way up to be cruise director.

And some, even though the ships have changed several times, are still doing the same job as when we first met them thirty years ago.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:13 PM, Host Hattie said:

I don't think there's much to go on here but I've underestimated the super sleuths here before !

Screenshot_20201001-191006.png

Seems like time for help with this one, I didn't take many other photos that day but this is one of them

Screenshot_20201004-114631.png

Here are some interesting stats about this thread (interesting to me anyway). So far we have identified 150 different ports with at least a couple more new ones yet to be identified. I have to say I am both amazed and thrilled that this thread Host Hattie started has included so many different ports (and some ports from multiple different interesting perspectives). Unfortunately, I think I have now run out of new ports to contribute, although I can still add a few more duplicates from different perspectives.

The ports we have identified so far range from "Adelaide" to "Zeebrugge". All the letters of the alphabet are represented by the first letters of the port names except for "U" and "X". I did have to stretch a bit though to get "E" represented by using South Queensferry (for "Edinburgh") and/or Kusadasi/Izmir (for "Ephesus").

It's going to be tough to get "U" and "X" included although that is possible after looking at past itineraries. Anyone have photos of Cunard ships in Ushuaia, Argentina or in Xiamen or Xingang, China?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here are some interesting stats about this thread (interesting to me anyway). So far we have identified 150 different ports with at least a couple more new ones yet to be identified. I have to say I am both amazed and thrilled that this thread Host Hattie started has included so many different ports (and some ports from multiple different interesting perspectives). Unfortunately, I think I have now run out of new ports to contribute, although I can still add a few more duplicates from different perspectives.

The ports we have identified so far range from "Adelaide" to "Zeebrugge". All the letters of the alphabet are represented by the first letters of the port names except for "U" and "X". I did have to stretch a bit though to get "E" represented by using South Queensferry (for "Edinburgh") and/or Kusadasi/Izmir (for "Ephesus").

It's going to be tough to get "U" and "X" included although that is possible after looking at past itineraries. Anyone have photos of Cunard ships in Ushuaia, Argentina or in Xiamen or Xingang, China?

I can contribute "U".  I didn't try before, because I didn't think there was anything in the below QV photo that would've enabled someone to guess Ushuaia.  (Although perhaps I underestimate this group's image processing skill.)  Another photo I have from our port day there on 21 February 2020 quite obviously identifies the Ushuaia Argentina Navy base, so far too easy. 

Now all we need is X. 

image.thumb.png.f1d99aac3e2d4631c0b0e503e4511ce2.png

image.thumb.png.cc5c7e2bbf1e07097316da957d9a7f97.png

• Thanks 1

A deeper look in my backup drive found this photo of Ushuaia, taken from QV.  Sorry I didn't find this before - it was in one of the wife's photo folders from our South America cruise.  Some of the buildings are distinctive enough to enable a good guess.

We were very lucky to have gotten in this February 2020 trip.  We got home to Australia on 4 March, and passed through customs normally.  Just a week or so later all the border closures and virus quarantine restrictions began.

image.thumb.png.3b022531bfe22581ef5f3dfed10b4a95.png

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Great stats, thanks for compiling them. I think this is a new port, it's a sail out photograph

Screenshot_20201001-192152.png

Ah yes, this is a new port. I think what we are seeing here is Arnish Point and its lighthouse near the port of Stornoway, Scotland.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sogne said:

correct

this port is new I think

vbn.JPG

This one I recognized right away from having been at this port on another line. We were docked around the corner at pier 8 where the ship in the distance is docked in this photo. QE is at pier 7 with Karl's Pier 7 Restaurant and Gift Shop to the far right. I think you may have been standing near the slip for the ferry that crosses the river to Hohe Düne to take this photo.

This is Warnemünde, Germany.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Whitsunday Is?

That's correct. Whitsunday Islands were a destination on QM2's 2012 world voyage which is when I captured that webcam image.

I must say, I didn't know what "Whitsunday" was until working on this webcam image. I've only known that holiday as "Pentecost" here in the US.