Bringing crew back question?

12 minutes ago, BND said:

It just makes sense to not do the 10 week on 10 week off rotation right now.  Travel isn't as easy as it was and quarantining, etc.  makes it better to keep them on the ship longer, esp as they're not really going anywhere.  Not the intensity of a cruise with multiple port visits in a week.  

My post was tongue in cheek. I guess I should have added that to it. 

My point was it has taken 5 months to get a captain, the most important person back on-board the ship.  Let alone some crew have still not gotten home from March.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

One long pole in the tent or at least an unknown will be work VISAs, at least for US home ports.

The Philippines is a significant source of crew yet the US Embassy isn't processing most VISAs right now.  Other embassies in other countries have similar wait times. 

1445814240_ScreenShot2020-08-30at9_28_40PM.thumb.jpg.e31c52385a3c5426718896348695a912.jpg

There is the SeaVRP program that bypasses these wait times but that program requires that you have a valid C-1/D crew VISA.  New hires or anyone who has unfortunate timing with an expired or expiring crew VISA may have a perpetual (999 day) wait.   

This may shrink the worker pool for US based cruise ships once cruising is getting ready to resume even if planes are flying more frequently.

Hopefully the crew VISA outlook for non-US home ports is more positive.

6 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

If one reads the other thread on this subject, consensus is that come the day companies feel confident cruising can restart and in some 2 months we will have ships with full crews to operate, but that doesn't translate to all the workers coming. They will have reduced crews for the reduced capacity.

I'm not convinced there will be similar reductions in crew to match the reduction in passengers.  There going to need a lot more staff to clean and serve in my opinion 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm not convinced there will be similar reductions in crew to match the reduction in passengers.  There going to need a lot more staff to clean and serve in my opinion 

I have to agree with you on that.

-Tim-

• Like 1

Well; I agree with "John" and "later" at the server per open venue level, but do note:

1. With half the population to feed, they'll need less kitchen staff...

2. Perhaps there will be closed venues with just minimal cleaning crew for them.

3. With less cabins occupied, less cabin stewards to take care of them all.

4. With smaller shows and restricted activities, less "behind the scenes" personnel involved.

5. Less or no photographers aboard.

And I could go on. Only the maritime and security personnel will be the same as have ever been.

1 hour ago, Nunagoras said:

Well; I agree with "John" and "later" at the server per open venue level, but do note:

1. With half the population to feed, they'll need less kitchen staff...

2. Perhaps there will be closed venues with just minimal cleaning crew for them.

3. With less cabins occupied, less cabin stewards to take care of them all.

4. With smaller shows and restricted activities, less "behind the scenes" personnel involved.

5. Less or no photographers aboard.

And I could go on. Only the maritime and security personnel will be the same as have ever been.

I was thinking an almost equal amount of housekeeping since they may doing cabins more thoroughly and more often. Plus many will be assigned to public areas.

Could be staff stationed around elevators and other choke points to assist with crowd control.

Obviously need staff serving at the buffet

Way more bar staff if they follow the MSC protocall of all drinks have to be delivered, no bar service

With limited seating, they may do a few extra shows so we are all entertained 

Those are some of my thoughts