Can we talk Viking Air for a moment?

Sunflower & The Scientist

I'm getting ready to schedule through Viking Air, or should I say reschedule what we had preCOVID.  We'll most likely be headed out of Chicago to Oslo.  Then out of London back to Chicago.  Originally I had AA going, BA coming back, business class.  This time my TA was thinking Delta.  The 350 and 330 look great, but the 767 looks like something straight out of 1967.   Does anyone have experience through Viking (or otherwise on which business class headed to Europe) with which airline we would have the best success with.  If I'm paying for business class....I want business class from 2020-2021...not some retro plane. 

Also, I do not want to climb over anyone when seats are reclined.  Seriously whose idea was that!   I don't have mobility issues, but I don't want anyone else in my personal space, nor do I want to be in anyone else's, even if it's my husband. 

If I ended up on Lufthansa's 747-400, I'd be irritated.  It was wonderful back in the day, but why would any business class still have three across.  

Another question....I do not recall when we scheduled BA last year, having to pay for seat reservations.  I was shocked to hear that they charge a hefty fee for seat reservations.  Did we have to pay that through Viking?  

I realize things are starting to become more normalized with international flights, but I don't think we have a clear post pandemic picture yet.  I'd love to hear your feedback. 

In Vancouver, we have 747-400's from Oct to April and A-380's May to Sept. Have flown in many 747's, but agree they are getting past their prime. Even 1st Class in a 747 was ordinary.

However, the BA A-380's are very comfortable and I believe Chicago may be one of their destinations, at least pre-COVID. Other than the A-380, I believe BA uses 777's, which are also better than the 747's.

When we booked the BA flight back from the WC, we did not have to pay the seat reservation fee. If you have higher status with BA then the fee is waived.

Until recently, I flew  flew Biz class to Europe on Delta 3-4 times a year normally to AMS via DTW or ATL.  The 350 is the pod/suite type seating. Very nice & private but some complain that the leg room is lacking ( I'm only 5'2 so I was totally fine).  I don't remember every having to having to climb over anyone in biz class - at least not in the past couple years. 

I normally fly Delta but will take  AA/BA  if the routing/fare is better. Personally, I have avoided UA/Lufthansa to Europe - just think that their biz class aircraft (unless you are on a Polaris flight) and partner's aircrafts are lacking. especially with the  inter europe connections.

There will be LOTS of equipment changes over the next 12 months so don't base your decision on what is currently being utilized.  As the airlines consolidate aircraft, they will most likely be retiring more of their older, less efficient aircraft.

You may have a problem w DL London/Chicago nonstop return, however, so I would suggest AA/BA unless you do separate legs. DL/KLM outbound to Oslo and LON CHI on AA on return. 

Edited by knoxclone
Edit

6 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I'm getting ready to schedule through Viking Air, or should I say reschedule what we had preCOVID.  We'll most likely be headed out of Chicago to Oslo.  Then out of London back to Chicago.  Originally I had AA going, BA coming back, business class.  This time my TA was thinking Delta.  The 350 and 330 look great, but the 767 looks like something straight out of 1967.   Does anyone have experience through Viking (or otherwise on which business class headed to Europe) with which airline we would have the best success with.  If I'm paying for business class....I want business class from 2020-2021...not some retro plane. 

Also, I do not want to climb over anyone when seats are reclined.  Seriously whose idea was that!   I don't have mobility issues, but I don't want anyone else in my personal space, nor do I want to be in anyone else's, even if it's my husband. 

If I ended up on Lufthansa's 747-400, I'd be irritated.  It was wonderful back in the day, but why would any business class still have three across.  

Another question....I do not recall when we scheduled BA last year, having to pay for seat reservations.  I was shocked to hear that they charge a hefty fee for seat reservations.  Did we have to pay that through Viking?  

I realize things are starting to become more normalized with international flights, but I don't think we have a clear post pandemic picture yet.  I'd love to hear your feedback. 

Paying for seat assignments in Business on BA has been around for years. However, the fee can be waived if you are at a certain status with them and with AA ( although that perk changes with the wind it seems)  or based on the fare paid .  It could be that last year Viking had a contact with BA , like they do with Lufthansa , that allows them to give seat assignment without a fee to the passenger.   I agree that charging for a seat assignment in business class is crazy, but BA is not alone in this.  I also agree with knoxclone  in that what aircraft we will see flying next year is up in the air ( no pun intended 😉) . Same with fees to be charged. 

I am not a great fan of BA at all, even though they are my national carrier.

As well as charging for seat assignment in business most of their fleet still has the old business seat layout which, for instance in the 777, squeezes in 8 rows across (8!!!!!!!) This is in the same cabin space that AA puts 4 rows and, unless I have forgotten something, that is now the standard on all AA longhaul aircraft. The BA A380 is better as Hedid13 says, but still 8 across! If you did happen to be lucky and get a BA 350-1000 that would be fine as they have BA's brand new 4 row across product. 

AA has now retired it's 767's so all its current longhaul metal has a fairly decent business product, and free seat assignment last time I checked! So that would be the way I would most likely go.

All the best for the trip, whatever aircraft you finish up on it will certainly be better up the front than down the back 😉

• Like 1