ALL THINGS CRUISING, IT'S ALL YOURS

Spif Barwunkel

On 9/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, upwarduk said:

I have found the International Roll Calls are the ones with most participants.

Most recently, we have sailed from Southampton and wonder if cruisers from UK are less inclined to take part.

There are not too many regular U.K. posters on CC generally. 

We have several cruising friends who use other lines (Princess and Cunard) and we found out during a New Year’s Eve conversation that were not aware there was a board to ‘ask questions on’ and had never heard of Roll Calls....

Cruises from Southampton often visit ports that guests are very familiar with from previous cruises or holidays (Lisbon, Azures, Canary Islands...) so perhaps feel less need to organise tours etc. We have cruised from Southampton a few times now and have enjoyed (another booked for next year). Generally we have found the focus to be on R&R rather than sightseeing. International travelers usually do want to see the ports and may be looking for advice, hence perhaps, the busier Roll Calls.

Edited by chemmo

On 9/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Speaking of roll calls....  Roll calls used to be wonderful.  People got to know one another, arranged private tours, etc.  In the last couple of years, I've noticed a lot less participation.  Makes me sad, because they used to be such a great resource.

Why, I wonder?

- Joel

On 9/12/2020 at 11:12 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

For many years cruisers have journeyed the world’s oceans. Beginning in January, in to the spring equinox and on through the winter solstice in December, millions have found their way to familiar places and unfamiliar locales. This annual migratory adventure ended abruptly in early 2020 when a phantom menace became involved in the natural order of things. Since then, strenuous ongoing efforts to quell the pandemic continue while the allure of the seas remains constant.

Once this conundrum is resolved satisfactorily, I wonder if we will ever know how close to the edge of extinction this cruiser species came. Was there a small step or a giant leap yet to go? When next we cruise, will our reflection in the mirror reveal the same cruiser or an unrecognizable silhouette of our former self? I am confident that the mirage we now imagine will once again become the oasis for our enjoyment and relaxation.

If only temporarily, our cruising freedom as we know it promises some modification. Our newly acquired vision of this ongoing odyssey will eventually become clear. When the stars align and each constellation resumes its navigational responsibility, I hope my current cruising plans are in harmony with those of the cruise lines. Surely, within the realm of infinity, there exists the resumption of migratory cruisers who will hope to once again reach the apex of what cruising has to offer.   

I meant to quote you, not the other poster.

(see my above post)

I think part of what went wrong with roll calls were people calling them selves leaders and putting them self in charge. Gift exchange  really , I think they are nice people but I want to sit around for an hour and hook up for some excursions or train rides from some one who has done it.Not some silly bead wearing ,gift's and meeting the crew .We should try to have some kind of way to re-do meet and greets .Also once people and get nothing out of it they won't return. Would like to hear some ideas on how to get roll call's and M.and G.s back down to cruising and ports.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:30 AM, lola2013 said:

I should be sailing on Equinox now...departure was to be a week ago today from Ft. Lauderdale sailing the ABC Islands.  I have spent every day thinking about what could have been.  As disappointed as I am, I can look forward to the re-booked cruise for January (yes, I believe we will sail).  

Thankful that friends & family have remained healthy and I still have a job to pay for the three cruises I have booked for next year.  

We are booked for the January 4th trip.  It is to celebrate our 30th anniversary.  So need this vacation!

12 hours ago, Vlgg731 said:

We are booked for the January 4th trip.  It is to celebrate our 30th anniversary.  So need this vacation!

We will likely miss you by one sailing...we are booked for the 1/29 trip.  Enjoy your cruise; happy anniversary!

Out of curiosity, how many times do you think folks will do a lift & shift? And, if you have more than one cruise on the books, will you move all from one date to another more than once? I had two cruises cancelled and did L & S on a third to 1/22. Now, first cruise is 4/21. If that does not go I will probably do a land vacation and hope that our 8/21 cruise goes. Nothing planned from now until 4/21. Still not quite sure about any kind of travel.