20th "free" cruise question

jjeffjb

1 minute ago, jjeffjb said:

Can you defer your "free" cruise?  We'd like to pay for number 20 and make 21 the freebie.

Although the T&Cs state that it must be the cruise during which you are awarded your 20th cruise credit, requests to Oceania Club management for postponement to a future cruise are handled on a case-by-case basis.

One situation where it may be approved regards those folks who have/add multiple future bookings each year. For example, a cruise you've already paid for may become your platinum cruise because you decide to book an additional one that cruises prior to it. There can then be some "complications" (e.g., O Life/YWYW calculations, TA commissioning etc.) and moving your platinum cruise further out makes sense for all involved.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Although the T&Cs state that it must be the cruise during which you are awarded your 20th cruise credit, requests to Oceania Club management for postponement to a future cruise are handled on a case-by-case basis.

One situation where it may be approved regards those folks who have/add multiple future bookings each year. For example, a cruise you've already paid for may become your platinum cruise because you decide to book an additional one that cruises prior to it. There can then be some "complications" (e.g., O Life/YWYW calculations, TA commissioning etc.) and moving your platinum cruise further out makes sense for all involved.

Hate to disagree with you but IME they are very particular about this rule - the free cruise HAS to to be #20.

Exception can happen but are rare.

1 hour ago, jjeffjb said:

Can you defer your "free" cruise?  We'd like to pay for number 20 and make 21 the freebie.

You can try but the odds are against you. It's very important to plan well ahead that your #20 is the one you want to be your "free" cruise. Don't make it less than 20 days long - better to make it longer and pay for the extra days. Pick an expensive itinerary.

Good luck.

FWIW, we picked a 27 day long one and paid for 7 days. Fair enough but it still didn't count as an extra cruise even though there are plenty of 7 day cruises - that's how strict they are.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Hate to disagree with you but IME they are very particular about this rule - the free cruise HAS to to be #20.

Exception can happen but are rare.

Well, my experience is/was different. Suffice to say: "the free cruise SHOULD be #20." And "exceptions DO happen but they are rare."

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Well, my experience is/was different. Suffice to say: "the free cruise SHOULD be #20." And "exceptions DO happen but they are rare."

Sounds like you benefited from such an exception - good for you.

If someone wants to do the same, start working on it long before and don't count on that it will just happen because you ask for it last minute.

Edited by Paulchili

Thank you for your responses.  If Oceania will not make an exception, we will cancel the cruise that would make #20 as it is only 10 days and has a rather low per day cost.  In the end, it would mean that Oceania would lose out on a booking.

18 hours ago, Paulchili said:

You can try but the odds are against you. It's very important to plan well ahead that your #20 is the one you want to be your "free" cruise. Don't make it less than 20 days long - better to make it longer and pay for the extra days. Pick an expensive itinerary.

Good luck.

FWIW, we picked a 27 day long one and paid for 7 days. Fair enough but it still didn't count as an extra cruise even though there are plenty of 7 day cruises - that's how strict they are.

Why 20 days? I picked a 14 day one that was expensive. Norwegian Fjords. 

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Why 20 days? I picked a 14 day one that was expensive. Norwegian Fjords. 

I don't know what I was thinking but what I should have said - pick a cruise no shorter than 14 days because that is what you get for "free" (as you pointed out). And our cruise was 7 days extra - so that made it 21 and not 27 days.

This Golden age is not so Golden much of the time. Things like my memory get a bit rusty (I thought gold shouldn't rust) 😀

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I don't know what I was thinking but what I should have said - pick a cruise no shorter than 14 days because that is what you get for "free" (as you pointed out). And our cruise was 7 days extra - so that made it 21 and not 27 days.

This Golden age is not so Golden much of the time. Things like my memory get a bit rusty (I thought gold shouldn't rust) 😀

Lol. I know the feeling. Sometimes I have trouble remembering what I just did or said. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And, while we're at it, let's be clear that the Platinum cruise is not "free." You still pay port taxes/fees and it is "cruise only" since the economy airfare was eliminated from the deal (about a year ago?).

Fortunately I got in before the change. Seems like a few other things are different. I’d have to go back and look at my invoices.