Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

On 10/1/2020 at 8:07 AM, RetiredMustang said:

Where is Eurodam (sorry for the smaller picture, but it's the only one I could find in my files).

1728593634_WhereisEurodam.jpg.0346c95aa76b0d718f5bd9dd358d4eaa.jpg

Dave

Earlier I hinted that we had visited this place on a Viking Passage cruise, and was a large source of farmed Atlantic salmon.  Second hint -- the town is named for a Norse god.

Dave

20 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Earlier I hinted that we had visited this place on a Viking Passage cruise, and was a large source of farmed Atlantic salmon.  Second hint -- the town is named for a Norse god.

Dave

Torshavn, Faroe Is?

24 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Dave

Oden?  

25 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

A fun one for fans of the older HAL ships.  Two parts:

1.  What was the name of the ship when she was a HAL ship?

2.  Where is she docked in this photo?

P2130138.jpg.73b9a31edc55809e5ce0cde6a0872db3.jpg

Dave

The Westerdam ! HAL bought this ship in 1988 from Home Lines . Actually HAL bought Home lines completely. Their fleet consisted of the Atlantic and the Homeric. The first was sold , the Homeric became Westerdam . She was extended at Meyer Werft in Papenburg , Germany . I saw the section on the shipyard , regrettably not the actual operation.

When CCL bought HAL she later sailed as Costa Europa from I think 2002 and nowadays as Marella Dream . I saw her in February 2019 in the Canary Islands. If you look closely you can see the “ inserted” section. I have no idea where this photo is taken . But the one below off the coast of Tenerife .

90A78890-A3F0-4865-B658-DBEE00052AFB.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

The Westerdam ! HAL bought this ship in 1988 from Home Lines . Actually HAL bought Home lines completely. Their fleet consisted of the Atlantic and the Homeric. The first was sold , the Homeric became Westerdam . She was extended at Meyer Werft in Papenburg , Germany . I saw the section on the shipyard , regrettably not the actual operation.

When CCL bought HAL she later sailed as Costa Europa from I think 2002 and nowadays as Marella Dream . I saw her in February 2019 in the Canary Islands. If you look closely you can see the “ inserted” section. I have no idea where this photo is taken . But the one below off the coast of Tenerife .

90A78890-A3F0-4865-B658-DBEE00052AFB.jpeg

Yes!  The old Westerdam, which we sailed the Caribbean on in 1996, and which was in the movie "Out to Sea" I believe. 

Can anyone else name the place where I took the photo of her docked?

49 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Yes!  The old Westerdam, which we sailed the Caribbean on in 1996, and which was in the movie "Out to Sea" I believe. 

Can anyone else name the place where I took the photo of her docked?

How 'bout Bridgetown, Barbados/

And yes, "Out to Sea" with Walter Matthau and "Ensign Pulver" / Jack Lemmon was partially filmed on Westerdam II, the former Homeric for Home Lines

Amazon.com: Out to Sea: Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Dyan Cannon, Gloria  DeHaven, Brent Spiner, Elaine Stritch, Hal Linden, Donald O'Connor, Edward  Mulhare, Rue McClanahan, Alexandra Powers, Sean O'Bryan, Martha Coolidge,  Barry M. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

How 'bout Bridgetown, Barbados/

And yes, "Out to Sea" with Walter Matthau and "Ensign Pulver" / Jack Lemmon was partially filmed on Westerdam II, the former Homeric for Home Lines

Amazon.com: Out to Sea: Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Dyan Cannon, Gloria  DeHaven, Brent Spiner, Elaine Stritch, Hal Linden, Donald O'Connor, Edward  Mulhare, Rue McClanahan, Alexandra Powers, Sean O'Bryan, Martha Coolidge,  Barry M. 

Yes, Bridgetown (love the color of the water).

And, two of my favorite actors.

Dave

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Yes, Bridgetown (love the color of the water).

And, two of my favorite actors.

Dave

Just learned today that Marella Cruises has made the decision to retire Marella Dream, the former Homeric, Westerdam, Costa Europa and Thomson Dream. Unless they can find someone else to keep sailing her, I'm afraid her future look bleak

P2130138.jpg.73b9a31edc55809e5ce0cde6a0872db3.jpg