UK residents booking through US travel agents?

Brad548ye

Hi, 

I would just like to hear views on the possibility of being a UK resident and booking through a US travel agent. The main thing i want is the price drop guarantee that i believe US travel agents offer. I've found a particular cruise i'm interested in for summer 2021 and got some quotes but am a little hesitant to book as i'm sure there's something called wave season between Jan-March time when a lot of prices tend to drop, but then again i'm after a particular cabin type so not sure whether to risk waiting or not!!! 

Thanks

Brad

I don't think it is the travel agents that offer the price drop, but the cruise lines themselves.  Also bear in mind the fare type you book as it may or may not be subject to refaring or may be non refundable.  There has been a 'Wave season' in previous years and also Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, but is this a normal year?  Cruise lines already seem to be throwing everything at us to try to get us to book.

Take into account exchange rate fluctuations and how comfortable you are in booking without the backing of ABTA etc.

Many on this site will tell you its possible, it really depends on your own comfort zone.  

You could always spend time doing dummy bookings to see how many of your type of cabin are available and then keep watching.......

We have met a number of people from Britain and from the UK who routinely book cruises in the US or Canada.   None of them book direct...they all use on line TA's.  A number of the very savvy OZ travelers that we have met book inside the final payment.

Those that we have spoken to claim the same reason.  Prices are often considerably lower and some terms are better.  Less money  required for deposits and the opportunity to re-price should prices decrease...as they often do.  Plus the ability to cancel up until the final payment with no financial penalty.   You will certainly have less protection booking in the US than you do in the UK if that is an issue in the even of a bankruptcy.

Some cruise lines frown on this.  We shop for cruises in different countries for various travel products including cruises, hotels, air, and AI's.  Three years ago, thanks to a heads up by folks on the Australian section of CC, we booked a 21 day RCI cruise directly with RCI via their Sydney call center.  We enjoyed a discount of over thirty percent  over the best price that our on line TA in North America could give us for the same cruise, same cabin, booked at the same time.   RCI were well aware that we were Canadian residents.  They pulled up our accounts and extended the $200 discount that we get for booking a balcony on RCI, noticed our age and extended another seniors discount.   We have experienced similar discounts when booking in country air,  travel packages, and hotels vs. booking on North American web sites.

Edited by iancal

5 hours ago, Brad548ye said:

Hi, 

I would just like to hear views on the possibility of being a UK resident and booking through a US travel agent. The main thing i want is the price drop guarantee that i believe US travel agents offer. I've found a particular cruise i'm interested in for summer 2021 and got some quotes but am a little hesitant to book as i'm sure there's something called wave season between Jan-March time when a lot of prices tend to drop, but then again i'm after a particular cabin type so not sure whether to risk waiting or not!!! 

Thanks

Brad

@Brad548ye

Howdy Brad!  emo22.gif

Perhaps the following Cruise Critic article from the archives will have something helpful:

U.K. Passengers Paying the Price to Cruise

Please remember it is an oldie but goody article last updated September 21, 2017. Some things may have changed since then.  emo34.gif

You may also want to inquire on our special boards just for our UK members:

UK Cruisers

The Pub

I hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!  emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!

You do need check your prices.   My sister booked a Baltic cruise with a UK agent because is was 15 percent plus less expensive than booking it with her North American  on line TA.     

This is rare in our cruise shopping experience.

Edited by iancal