Haines, Alaska?

lswilmot

I've been to Haines multiple times.    Take a look at your shore excursion list-  first and see what this port is about.  🙂      You can visit Skagway easily-  if that was a priority with your initial booking???  

But most of the I rent a car and drive the Haines Highway.     Murray also has a road guide that is informative.   But I've gone places off the road that aren't noted.   Last several times I've just walked to Avis included again last year.     

Reference this   www.visithaines.com   

Last season,  the ship I was on, was all the way down the Lynn Canal,  within close sight of Skagway.    I noticed the ship turn and sailing away from the port,  concluding that the ship wasn't going there.    I immediately got on my phone,  while I still had service and called my vendor direct at Avis,  and reserved a car.,  payment was required-  which I paid because I was 99% sure,  the ship would be docking there-   there is NO place else.  and I was ok loosing the fees.     There were only 3 cars available.    While I was waiting for check in,   at least a dozen people,  walked in looking for cars.        Ok too much rambling,   but cars are in short supply in Haines, and benefit is to book early-  IF you want one.   

You are going to be in port for 4 1/2 hours not counting the fact that you have to be back on board before 11:30.  Also, there are places that you can visit in Haines but not at that hour.  Typical cruise company shenanigans and why even bother.

DON

Oh boy too much rambling.   My comments are general.   and do NOT pertain to this port time.   Nothing is going to be open,  unless,  special hours because a cruise is coming in.   Really a huge disadvantage.    Where are they earlier in the day?   

2 hours ago, lswilmot said:

RCCL just modified our June Alaska cruise, adding Haines from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm.  Any info appreciated.

I don't see a single Haines mention on the RCI  webpage.    What ship and what is the entire itinerary???       This makes no sense and actually sounds like it could be the Hubbard Glacier timeframe???     Did you get your notice directly from RCI?   

2 hours ago, RockStarDoll said:

Us too for July 4th. Curious to see what excursions they develop if we’re only allowed off the ship on RCL’s excursions. 

The RCI website isn't updated?    Your cruise doesn't not show Haines at this time.    Who notified you?  and what is your entire itinerary now?      Very,  very odd.    🙂   

9 hours ago, RockStarDoll said:

RCL emailed us with the change. My cruise planner is updated as well. This was one of many many changes for Alaska cruises. Lots of posts about people having Ketchikan switched for Sitka, Haines added, Skagway and Juneau shortened etc...

Interesting that the website isn't updated.    Should be a priority.     But-  with only a few hours in Haines-  simply NOT enough time.   Where is the ship all day?????   

5 hours ago, RockStarDoll said:

They shortened the time in Skagway

Why would they even bother with adding Haines with a stop at Skagway earlier in the day?  Doesn't make much sense to me; wouldn't be surprised that if this cruise does sail, there will be another change in the itinerary either before sailing or while the cruise is taking place.  

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why would they even bother with adding Haines with a stop at Skagway earlier in the day?  Doesn't make much sense to me; wouldn't be surprised that if this cruise does sail, there will be another change in the itinerary either before sailing or while the cruise is taking place.  

I imagine this change has more to do with moving ships around than our travelling enjoyment. 

2 hours ago, RockStarDoll said:

I imagine this change has more to do with moving ships around than our travelling enjoyment. 

To me, that doesn't even make sense.  Royal Caribbean doesn't know any more than we know at this point in time.  My thought is that their projected itineraries are like all of the other cruise lines.  This is what "we would like it to be".  

On 9/27/2020 at 2:43 PM, Budget Queen said:

Where are they earlier in the day?   

Skagway, but leaving earlier than in the original itinerary. Messes up some plans for the WP&YR, and there doesn't seem to be anything to do in Haines in the evening.

Sounds to me like some issue with the port of Skagway.

I agree,   makes no sense and I would not be surprised  if another change.   It certainly isn't to "move any ships around"     It costs time and money and a lot of work to dock, tie up,  debark etc.     There is absolutely NO reason for this.    IF the ship wants to leave early from Skagway,  they can do what every other ship does,   Stall and take the crawl in Icey Strait.   

But this time  does allow for most activities in Skagway,  including the WP railroad,    ships do manage well with this port time.     

It's actually a nice schedule.    Even though there is Tracy Arm on the schedule-   it's also no duplication-  in my opinion to take Adventure Bound in addition out of Juneau-  if of interest.   One of the rare schedules that allows for it.  

IF this schedule does remain-  it's likely there could be special opening hours at the museums?   A lot closer to cruising ,  simply call -  direct to the vendors and ask.    The cruiseline will have tours as well.     An option,  I'd would absolutely consider with this unique schedule would be to give notice,  I wasn't going to return to the ship in Skagway  and would arrange a scenic flight of the magnificent ice fields,   perhaps Glacier Bay-  although all are worthwhile,  again only my opinion.   I'd have a drop off in Haines    (I've done this a few time,  with a one way flight and ferry in other direction,   Haines/Skagway.      Several  options,   fly over earlier,  and tour,   rent a car   etc.    

If RCI was smart they'd offer some one way options too.  🙂  

However,  your last day mentions "sea day"  which usually means outside of Vancouver Island?    A negative for me.   

Maybe the community will be open with a ship in port.  Hammer Museum is truly interesting.  Steve Kroschel wildlife center may offer a tour, he’s as interesting as the wildlife in his care;  walk around the old Fort Seward grounds; read the book “If You Lived Here I’d Know Your Name” for an appreciation of the Haines lifestyle.

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

To me, that doesn't even make sense.  Royal Caribbean doesn't know any more than we know at this point in time.  My thought is that their projected itineraries are like all of the other cruise lines.  This is what "we would like it to be".  

5 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I agree,   makes no sense and I would not be surprised  if another change.   It certainly isn't to "move any ships around"     It costs time and money and a lot of work to dock, tie up,  debark etc.     There is absolutely NO reason for this.    IF the ship wants to leave early from Skagway,  they can do what every other ship does,   Stall and take the crawl in Icey Strait.   

But this time  does allow for most activities in Skagway,  including the WP railroad,    ships do manage well with this port time.     

It's actually a nice schedule.    Even though there is Tracy Arm on the schedule-   it's also no duplication-  in my opinion to take Adventure Bound in addition out of Juneau-  if of interest.   One of the rare schedules that allows for it.  

IF this schedule does remain-  it's likely there could be special opening hours at the museums?   A lot closer to cruising ,  simply call -  direct to the vendors and ask.    The cruiseline will have tours as well.     An option,  I'd would absolutely consider with this unique schedule would be to give notice,  I wasn't going to return to the ship in Skagway  and would arrange a scenic flight of the magnificent ice fields,   perhaps Glacier Bay-  although all are worthwhile,  again only my opinion.   I'd have a drop off in Haines    (I've done this a few time,  with a one way flight and ferry in other direction,   Haines/Skagway.      Several  options,   fly over earlier,  and tour,   rent a car   etc.    

If RCI was smart they'd offer some one way options too.  🙂  

However,  your last day mentions "sea day"  which usually means outside of Vancouver Island?    A negative for me.   

Well, regardless of what any of us think they should do (or why they are doing it), as of today they're going to move the ship from Skagway to Haines. I still think this is probably due to scheduling issues at ports than it is to add to our travelling experience. If this ship sails, maybe I'll ask someone..... then again, I may just be too busy enjoying my cruise to care!

I 100% picked this cruise due to its proximity to the Island and the return trip out of Vancouver BC. 

Edited by RockStarDoll

4 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Maybe the community will be open with a ship in port.  Hammer Museum is truly interesting.  Steve Kroschel wildlife center may offer a tour, he’s as interesting as the wildlife in his care;  walk around the old Fort Seward grounds; read the book “If You Lived Here I’d Know Your Name” for an appreciation of the Haines lifestyle.

I am interested to see as well. With the loss of tourism this year and with the possibility of only being allowed off ships on RCL excursions - it would be a big loss in money to have nothing available for the ship guests to enjoy. 

• Like 1