Development of preventative COVID-19 nasal spray

Two Australian companies Ena Respiratory working with Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) and Melbourne biotech Starpharma are both developing a new preventative nasal spray that could protect people from COVID-19 infection and prevent transmission. Full articles in links, HMRI and the Age newspaper. Great research by the little Aussie battlers. 🀞

• Like 1

There could be something in that .Heard a talk about the benefits of breathing through your nose ,

HeresΒ an article re breathingΒ 

Β 

https://www.gaiam.com/blogs/discover/breathing-is-believing-the-importance-of-nasal-breathing

Β 

Β 

THE PATH OF THE BREATH

The air we breathe is first processed through the nose. The nose is a miraculous filter lined with tiny hairs calledΒ cilia. The cilia have many functions: they filter, humidify and warm or cool the air (depending on the temperature) before it enters the lungs. It is estimated that cilia protect our bodies against about 20Β billionparticles of foreign matter every day!

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Two Australian companies Ena Respiratory working with Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) and Melbourne biotech Starpharma are both developing a new preventative nasal spray that could protect people from COVID-19 infection and prevent transmission. Full articles in links, HMRI and the Age newspaper. Great research by the little Aussie battlers. 🀞

We can only hope

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

However it could give people a false sense of security as the virus can also enter the body through the mouth or eyes.

Julie, I think the nasal spray willΒ just not protect the nose but the whole respiratory system. I assume it would work similar to a vaccine.Β 
Β 

Leigh

24 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Julie, I think the nasal spray willΒ just not protect the nose but the whole respiratory system. I assume it would work similar to a vaccine.Β 
Β 

Leigh

I didn't get that impression from reading the article. I think a vaccine would still be needed but it may provide additional protection.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I didn't get that impression from reading the article. I think a vaccine would still be needed but it may provide additional protection.

Sorry I misread the article. The spray, Β it is hoped will complement the vaccine. So it would help protect the whole respiratory system not just the nasal passages.Β 
Β 

Leigh