Fall 2020 Crossing on SD I

ctbjr1309

How can U.S. citizens get to any of the embarkation ports, especially at this late date, or are you fortunate to be traveling under a different passport?  We gave it some thought when it was first announced, but couldn’t figure out how to make the travel work.

Just saw this sailing at the end of last week and had to clear my schedule.  I am now booked to pick it up in Portsmouth which, gives me 4 more days to get my act together.

I am a US citizen and am able to fly into LHR as of now with no problem.  Just have to have a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of landing.  Tricky part will be getting to Portsmouth if they lock down the UK again.

4 hours ago, JES4845 said:

How can U.S. citizens get to any of the embarkation ports, especially at this late date, or are you fortunate to be traveling under a different passport?  We gave it some thought when it was first announced, but couldn’t figure out how to make the travel work.

As I understand it, no problem currently for US citizens to enter UK.  COVID test not required to enter UK.  Need to go straight to Portsmouth port via private transport and board ship if arriving day of departure.  If arriving earlier need to self-isolate in hotel or elsewhere until leaving for port.  Agree that risk is they change rules between now and Monday.  Not sure how other ports work as I’ve focused solely on Portsmouth embarkation.

Stay tuned!

Thanks, CT.

SeaDream informed me I needed the Covid-19 test.  I didn't think it was required for the UK but, they said it might be asked for at LHR.  SeaDream is also waiting on information from the port agent in Portsmouth.

Where did you get all your info for the Portsmouth embarkation?  Would love to meet up with a friend in London but, I was under the impression that I could only fly in the day of the cruise and go straight to the ship.  I would be happy to self-isolate for a day in London before venturing down to Portsmouth.  The UK consulate was not really sure of the restrictions when I was trying to get something definitive. 

Good point Hattie.  Several worries for us are that it is difficult and un reliable trying to get to Portsmouth from Phoenix co ordinated with same day boarding of the ship.   Also, what a shame to not be able to spend time in the interesting, historic, and lovely Portsmouth, Isle of Wight, New Forest area.  Easily several days can be needed.  And finally, the rules in both the UK and the US are subject to change with little to no notice.  

43 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

11 days at sea on a small ship that picked up international travelers at four different countries?  What could go wrong....

Haha, Ragnar the only "glass half full" you have is full of Tequila.  I am pretty sure we are all destined for exposure to Covid at one time or another.  Like all diseases, some get it some don't.  I hope all goes well for SD sooner rather than later.  Hope to sail with you guys.🍸

That is why we built the medication storage room 🙂

By the way, almost finished with the bottle of Parton Anejo we bought for your visit.  Is great the way you mentioned you had it on Viking, on ice with a squeeze of lime!  The skinniest of skinny margaritas.

However, we recently did some shots, with salt on the hand and limes.  Did a side by side of Patron and Sauza Hornitos.  Hornitos was better for that, more agave flavor up against the salt.  So, Hornitos for shots and margs, Patron for sip’n.

Mix-master Ragnar

(Sorry for the thread hijack.)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

12 hours ago, 1st time QE2 said:

Where did you get all your info for the Portsmouth embarkation?

Got my info from SD management, from SD reservations and confirmed with my own internet research.

Jim is absolutely correct that things can change at a moment’s notice. That’s the big risk as I see it once the pre-departure negative COVID PCR test hurdle has been cleared. 

I would absolutely love to board SD in Portsmouth.  We really enjoy the Hampshire area and have a Cousin with a lovely country home with all important spare bedrooms just outside Romsey.  The feel of history in Portsmouth is very vivid.  What I would need is for my Cousin to think it's ok for me to visit, for the UK to think it's ok for me to enter without quarantine, and then reasonable flights.  As to the negative test, my opinion is that the negative test does not say I don't have the virus at boarding, it simply says I did not have the virus a few thousand miles ago.  Assuming it is not a false negative in the first place....

Some encouraging news on the vaccine front:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/pfizer-says-could-apply-for-us-emergency-use-approval-for-vaccine-in-late-november.html

This comports well with what we are hearing from some folks that work at hospitals.  They say they are being told by management that they will get vaccinated in November.

Poor Trump, he worked so hard to get a vaccine out via the Warp Speed Initiative, only to have it arrive just after the election.  This spring will likely bring a booming economic recovery because of the rapid development and deployment of vaccines.  And the headlines will read:

”Biden presides over the greatest economic recovery in history!”

• Like 1

If only it were true ... tend to doubt it.  Marine Traffic website shows SDII having gone from Oslo to Alesund in Norway.   Waitstaff and other service crew from SD2 were moved over to SD1 - and they raided SD2 of provisions!  Other staff have not yet been recalled to duty who would likely be returning if there were an SD2 crossing imminent.  Anybody with other intel?

I have been Facebook communicating with someone on SD2 who has been sent home and has not yet been recalled.  We exchanged messages yesterday, and that person had hopes that SD2 would be moved over, but had not yet been informed of any plans to do so.  I think that everything depends on the demand for the BGI cruises, and for other islands to open up.  However, as we know, virus counts are rising in many states with the US, and it seems that a number of hotspots are also increasing in Europe.  

And although SD is doing a lot of things to make things safer onboard, there are lots of risks to exposure for us and others in transit to the ship.  We don't feel comfortable going on any cruise until after a vaccine is available.