All Cruises Thru January Waitlisted AND

mrlevin

all cruises in February and March are waitlisted EXCEPT Miami - Miami cruises.   After that a number of cruises are waitlisted but appear to be from reaching capacity limits.  

Looks like Regent might have formed a plan.

Marc

• Like 2

Yes, I agree.

As they are releasing the 2022 schedule this week, maybe for those of us that are booked on the "waitlisted" cruises, will be able to move the reservations over to 2022.

Will be an interesting week!

Did a little more analysis of the upcoming cruises that are wait listed and found the following interesting summary of when the ships are no longer waitlisted:

Splendor   - Feb

Explorer    - April

Navigator -  May

Mariner    -   June

Voyager   -   July

As we heard from the president of NCL, the plan is to start the cruising on a staggered basis.  This could be their best educated guess of how they will relaunch the cruises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

I still think the Mariner will be the start up ship with short Caribbean itineraries from Miami hopefully starting in December or January.

Very hopeful, in view of covid-19 in the states. No international passengers as USA is still closed to Brits etc and where is the crew coming from? It will not be USA. Few flights in from the usual crew sources. Think this is wishful thinking over Rational thought?

4 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Very hopeful, in view of covid-19 in the states. No international passengers as USA is still closed to Brits etc and where is the crew coming from? It will not be USA. Few flights in from the usual crew sources. Think this is wishful thinking over Rational thought?

Crew fly into Curacao; not an issue for USA flights.  Cruises for US residents only; maybe even only for Florida residents.    These are baby steps; test out the procedures for crew; then employees and families as test cruise; then initial paying cruise to just private island and return; then maybe five or six nights; then seven day cruises.

8 hours ago, tert333 said:

Did a little more analysis of the upcoming cruises that are wait listed and found the following interesting summary of when the ships are no longer waitlisted:

Splendor   - Feb

Explorer    - April

Navigator -  May

Mariner    -   June

Voyager   -   July

As we heard from the president of NCL, the plan is to start the cruising on a staggered basis.  This could be their best educated guess of how they will relaunch the cruises.

Digging a little deeper, there are some interesting contrasts.  Splendor and Navigator represent the extremes in a range of what the changeover point looks like.

Splendor goes abruptly from fully waitlisted to many categories available on Feb. 5.

Navigator is fully waitlisted until Aug. 5, except for two non-adjacent cruises.  May 16 is waitlisted except for 3 of the top 4 categories.  (In September this itinerary was only 50% full, and 2/3 of the available cabins were in the categories that are now waitlisted.  So for this cruise it must be a change for capacity control.)  June 30 is waitlisted except for the top 4 categories.  The August itineraries show availability only in PH and above, then it seems to open up more in September.

The other ships fall somewhere between these extremes. 

We can speculate all day long, and really we can't do much else on this topic.  My interpretation is that they may be hoping to start sailing with Splendor in February, and then stage in the other ships. 

The Navigator situation is harder to interpret, but from the opinions expressed by others here, it sounds like more capacity control may be needed on Navigator than on the newer ships, and they are now cutting off reservations at a lower capacity than normal to keep occupancy low enough to meet the expected new guidelines.  This also suggests that they hope to start sailing with Navigator on or before May 16.  Looking at the itineraries, I think probably before that.  If the ports are open for May 16, they should be open for April 27 as well, and (depending on Brazil) maybe April 2.

Of course, what Regent hopes to do and what will actually happen may or may not be the same.  Time will tell.

56 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Digging a little deeper, there are some interesting contrasts.  Splendor and Navigator represent the extremes in a range of what the changeover point looks like.

Splendor goes abruptly from fully waitlisted to many categories available on Feb. 5.

Navigator is fully waitlisted until Aug. 5, except for two non-adjacent cruises.  May 16 is waitlisted except for 3 of the top 4 categories.  (In September this itinerary was only 50% full, and 2/3 of the available cabins were in the categories that are now waitlisted.  So for this cruise it must be a change for capacity control.)  June 30 is waitlisted except for the top 4 categories.  The August itineraries show availability only in PH and above, then it seems to open up more in September.

The other ships fall somewhere between these extremes. 

We can speculate all day long, and really we can't do much else on this topic.  My interpretation is that they may be hoping to start sailing with Splendor in February, and then stage in the other ships. 

The Navigator situation is harder to interpret, but from the opinions expressed by others here, it sounds like more capacity control may be needed on Navigator than on the newer ships, and they are now cutting off reservations at a lower capacity than normal to keep occupancy low enough to meet the expected new guidelines.  This also suggests that they hope to start sailing with Navigator on or before May 16.  Looking at the itineraries, I think probably before that.  If the ports are open for May 16, they should be open for April 27 as well, and (depending on Brazil) maybe April 2.

Of course, what Regent hopes to do and what will actually happen may or may not be the same.  Time will tell.

It is very hard to tell what is in the mind of Regent.   However, your logic of Splendor makes sense.  It is the newest ship in the fleet and I would think would be the most efficient, translating into the most profitable.  By the time Spendor sails, other NCL/Oceania ships would have sailed so that the safety protocols of the NCL group of companies can be tested.  With a successful launch of the protocols on the Spendor, they could then roll them out to the other ships.

Based on the assumption that the cruises that have prices for them primarily will be the ones that will sail, this would mean they are expecting that Alaska, Europe and the Caribbean will be opened up by then, with the fall being when other cruises to Asia opens up.

I hope for the sake of the people booked on the other cruises,  I hope we are wrong.  However, it is consistent with some of the earlier comments from Del Rio in regards to starting with shorter cruises, closer to home first.  I am glad I am not planning cruise schedules.   There are so many variables, it must be impossible and frustrating for them.

The ironic thing is that many parts of Asia have lower amounts of covid, versus NA or Europe.  For awhile, I was thinking that the Navigator might just cruise out of Tahiti for awhile starting in February(one of which I am booked on).   However, the Covid case counts are rapidly going up there, so I would not be surprised if Tahiti closes the island to cruise traffic again.

The good news is the new schedule for the rest of 2022 is coming out this week, so we will have a chance to start thinking about other cruises... 🙂

WRT Navigator, the Grand Arctic Adventure commences 31 May and lasts 94 days.  First few segments are all waitlisted but plenty of room on last two; however, they have stopped selling the full cruise and Jason Montague recently said it was sold out.  There is a real possibility this will be the first "exotic" itinerary that sails.

WRT starting with Splendour as it is the newest ship, I continue to believe that it will be Mariner.  Public spaces on Mariner are much more expansive than any other ship in the fleet.  They have one more lounge and the Mariner Lounge (versus the "named" lounges on the other ships) is a more open design suitable for social distancing.  Mariner also has the Grand Promenade which is already set up for social distancing without removing any tables.

As was said, all we can do is speculate as we are not privy to facts.

Marc

On 10/13/2020 at 9:21 AM, tert333 said:

Splendor   - Feb

Explorer    - April

Navigator -  May

Mariner    -   June

Voyager   -   July

Remember this post.....and look for news when the No Sail is lifted....not before.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 1:28 PM, mrlevin said:

all cruises in February and March are waitlisted EXCEPT Miami - Miami cruises.   After that a number of cruises are waitlisted but appear to be from reaching capacity limits.  

As you noted elsewhere many of the "waitlists" have now been cleared.

Bizarrely, Regent are actively marketing seven cruises in early 2021on the "Special Offers" page of the Regent UK website - 3 on Explorer and 4 on Navigator:

1358100095_Specials_16Oct2020.thumb.jpg.33dc93dfb167f85ee754e8db793358f5.jpg

................. including one on Explorer in February that is still waitlisted 🤨:

2035430004_Specials_16Oct2020_a.thumb.jpg.aed4a96e2105be8668669ded8972d013.jpg

Although Regent Seven Seas has cancelled all November 2020 sailing, why have they now "waitlisted" all December & January 2021 sailings? For the past many months they waitlist a month then just cancel all sailings.  So will all December & January 2021 sailings be cancelled?   

1 hour ago, zak477 said:

Although Regent Seven Seas has cancelled all November 2020 sailing, why have they now "waitlisted" all December & January 2021 sailings? For the past many months they waitlist a month then just cancel all sailings.  So will all December & January 2021 sailings be cancelled?   

Many people are expecting Regent will cancel sailings for December at the end of October (or beginning of November as they slipped a month with the most-recent round of cancellations.)  That includes a sailing we are booked on, Explorer out of Singapore to Sydney on 20 December.  Singapore, Bali, and Australia are all closed to tourists, so there is no way this itinerary is sailing.  NCLH sister line Oceania already cancelled a very similar itinerary for December, but Regent is making us wait.  (Regent is also still showing the follow-on sailing on Explorer--Sydney to Auckland---as still available to book, but unless they can figure out a way to limit it to those in the Australia-NZ "bubble" that is also impossible.  Not sure they could even get crew who could be approved by those governments.)

1 hour ago, zak477 said:

I just looked at January sailings.....all but two are open now. I have no idea what catagories  are left , but they're not waitlisted.

18 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

IMO, Regent did this because they know we figured out their pattern and were able to see their proposed re-launch schedule. So they wiped the slate clean so we no longer have that data to work off of.

I agree.  The model worked out quite well based on their discussed plan of staggering each ship.   This is very similar to what Azamara has published - 1 cruiseship per month. 

They changed their mind and thought it was best not to give the impression they have a final plan since depending on what happens with the virus and the governments reaction, it could be modified.

It is very hard to read much into Regent's actions in waitlisting and unwaitlisting particular cruises.  It is fun to try, and I have to plead guilty to that, but it is still just speculation.  At some point (hopefully), they will need to resume sailing. 

Most likely those first cruises are going to be at less than full capacity, so Regent really should be waitlisting the cruises they plan to sail before they are full.  The more popular ones may already be "over-booked" for the new guidelines.  Or maybe enough people have cancelled on their own that that won't be an issue.  Still, even though so far "waitlisted" has meant "about to be cancelled," at some unknown point it will start to mean "planning to sail at reduced capacity."  

That said, Pcardad's theory that they decided it was too much information to reveal to us could very well be in play as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sad if they are afraid to give us too much information. Instead they give us too little and we are left to speculate. That only leads to false hopes, uncertainties and disappointments. But they keep our money and keep us booking future cruises when they cancel cruises so I guess they are getting what they want. Thankfully, I got out of this game in April 2020 and Regent doesn’t have 1 penny of my money. I feel for those who still have money in the game and are on a continuous roller coaster ride. The 2nd wave of COVID is starting and if anyone believes that cruising will start in earnest anytime soon, you are kidding yourself. Of course that is just my opinion but look around the world and the data doesn’t lie.

• Like 3

The only thing worse than not giving any information is giving bad information. This is only personal for a client, it isn't personal for NCLH. Wanting to retain bookings and create future bookings was their MO when all was normal...why should that change now? They are still in business. Besides, they refund money when asked and have sped up the process. If booking is beyond your risk tolerance then don't book. No worries...but please don't waste your effort feeling bad for those of us who are not worried...not all of us are on a roller coaster ride. I know the rules and Regent is playing by them so no real ups or downs for me.....there are a lot more important issues at hand than a cruise. Be safe everyone!

• Like 3

I’m not feeling bad for anyone who chooses to play the Regent game of whack-a-mole. It is a choice that each of us makes and I sincerely hope it works out for everyone who decides to ride it out. I think it will be a long ride. I understand that these are unprecedented times and no one knows how long COVID will be around and how severe it will be. But there is no doubt that it is back (or never left) with a vengeance in the US (record number of new cases yesterday) and other parts of the world including Europe. What I don’t think is fair is the way Regent has decided to communicate (or lack thereof)  and manipulate its’ customers. Maybe it’s a smart financial decision for them and maybe people are OK not knowing where, when and what it will be like to cruise in the future but it’s not for many of us. 

• Like 2