Cruise credit extension expired in Aug 2020

ygrealtor

Hi,

I had a future cruise credit that was extended to be used/cruised no later than Aug 2020. Obviously the cruise line was not cruising since March and all cruises were cancelled/suspended. I have now booked 2 additional carnival cruises for 2021 but they are refusing to honor my credit because it expired. I do not believe this to be fair. I couldnt have used it if i wanted to while they were suspended and STILL ARE suspended.

Any advice would be appreciated. I cannot believe Carnival is taking a hard stand on a few hundred dollars from a faithful client who is  also a Carnival credit card holder.

47 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Definitely escalate this to a manager. It's obvious that no passenger could sail by Aug 2020.

And -- the rules were clear: sail by August 2020. I'm sure it had been valid since way before March 2020. Why couldn't it be used during that time? Did you apply it to a cruise before August 2020 that was canceled? They were selling them for quite some time despite not actually sailing.

If used, wouldn't it have been converted to a new future cruise credit with an updated expiration date?

Edited by xDisconnections

I think there may be some issues on both sides for this. Obviously, you couldn't have sailed by the expiration date. The question then comes down to whether you actually had a cruise booked to sail before it expired. I would believe that if you had a cruise booked and canceled, they would honor an FCC. If you did not book, then there is blame on your side too. Unfortunately, it comes down to what is in the contract. Your contract does state "sail by" as you stated. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I think there may be some issues on both sides for this. Obviously, you couldn't have sailed by the expiration date. The question then comes down to whether you actually had a cruise booked to sail before it expired. I would believe that if you had a cruise booked and canceled, they would honor an FCC. If you did not book, then there is blame on your side too. Unfortunately, it comes down to what is in the contract. Your contract does state "sail by" as you stated. 

It was issued prior to the suspension of operations. It could have been used prior to its expiration date.

Future Cruise Credit is valid for 24 months after cancelation date. Not to sail, but to book a new cruise or transfer to an existing cruise.

So for a cruise credit not related to Covid, this FCC would have to been issued in August 2018.

If it has been issued in February 2020 there is no way it could expire in August 2020.

Even so. If you knew it was to expire, why didn't you book something prior to this expiration or transfer to an existing booking prior to August 2020???

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ygrealtor said:

Hi,

I had a future cruise credit that was extended to be used/cruised no later than Aug 2020. Obviously the cruise line was not cruising since March and all cruises were cancelled/suspended. I have now booked 2 additional carnival cruises for 2021 but they are refusing to honor my credit because it expired. I do not believe this to be fair. I couldnt have used it if i wanted to while they were suspended and STILL ARE suspended.

Any advice would be appreciated. I cannot believe Carnival is taking a hard stand on a few hundred dollars from a faithful client who is  also a Carnival credit card holder.

Also- what does the credit card have to do anything? The cobranded card makes you a customer of Barclays who doesn't exactly play a role in this. Does being a cardholder grant you entitlements to utilize services that are expired? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ygrealtor said:

Hi,

They didn't cancel August cruises until July.  Did you ask if they could extend it?  As far as Carnival was concerned....you could have used it to book a cruise, since cruises were bookable.  That you didn't want to is a different issue.  It was "use it or lose it".

With the above being said...I'd talk to a supervisor or someone higher up on the food chain.  You may just get lucky.  But, don't stress the credit card thing.  That's irrelevant. 

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What is double, triple platinum? Did I miss something on the journey from Platinum to Diamond?

but are you double, triple diamond? It allows people to be even more entitled.