When will we sail the Hawaiian Islands Again?

BirdTravels

9 hours ago, sugcarol said:

We are booked for 11/27 sailing but prepared to do land, spending 3 nughts Oahu, 3 nights in Maui and 3 nights in Kona. Flights are cheap to hop to different islands. 39.00 per flight plus tax and flights are 45 to 50 minutes long. We will fly to different islands on evening flights. We are commited to air rountrip from DFW to Honolulu. We can change flights with no change fees but if flight is higher we will have to pay the difference. Just keeping an eye on the whole Covid thing.

I’m sure you realize this already, but Unless the laws for inner island travel change, this plan will not work. You will need to schedule a test immediately upon arrival at each island, hope to get results in time (keep in mind only sites approve by the Hawaiian government can give a covid test used to travel and getting appts is not easy), upload the docs to safe travels app, and then be prepared to clear “Hawaii immigration” at each island (lines can be hours long). It’s a huge pain to move from just one island right now, I can’t imagine planning to visit three, especially with such a short visit at each (only spending 3 nights). Even if covid is vanished by the fall, I would rethink this plan. Just trying to help  :). 

Hi @BermudaBound2014,

As a fellow Michigander, I'm jealous that you are currently out in Hawaii despite having to deal with all the covid restrictions, testing requirements, etc. I am glad to hear that despite all these obstacles, you are enjoying your retirement present out there.

Just wanted to get your opinion; I'm currently booked on Pride of America on Oct 23-30, 2021. Do you think by then that this cruise will "go"? I know there are a a lot of factors involved but hopefully, with the new vaccines continuing to be rolled out and more & more people getting the vaccination, I'm hoping that by Oct, the PoA will be sailing again.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Hi @BermudaBound2014,

As a fellow Michigander, I'm jealous that you are currently out in Hawaii despite having to deal with all the covid restrictions, testing requirements, etc. I am glad to hear that despite all these obstacles, you are enjoying your retirement present out there.

Just wanted to get your opinion; I'm currently booked on Pride of America on Oct 23-30, 2021. Do you think by then that this cruise will "go"? I know there are a a lot of factors involved but hopefully, with the new vaccines continuing to be rolled out and more & more people getting the vaccination, I'm hoping that by Oct, the PoA will be sailing again.

Hi farmer- you are asking my opinion so keep in mind that I don’t have any more Insider information than the next cc member. Unfortunately; I do not see your 10/23 Hawaiian ship sailing. I hope I’m wrong.

I do recommend a back up plan.  We all love cruising, but there are other forms of travel that can be exceptional. I’m not waiting on the cruise industry to redefine itself- travel is just too important to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, sugcarol said:

We are booked for 11/27 sailing but prepared to do land, spending 3 nughts Oahu, 3 nights in Maui and 3 nights in Kona. Flights are cheap to hop to different islands. 39.00 per flight plus tax and flights are 45 to 50 minutes long. We will fly to different islands on evening flights. We are commited to air rountrip from DFW to Honolulu. We can change flights with no change fees but if flight is higher we will have to pay the difference. Just keeping an eye on the whole Covid thing.

Thank you!   A cruise would be nice but spending 3 nights at each sounds great too!

1 hour ago, SeaWatcher65 said:

Thank you!   A cruise would be nice but spending 3 nights at each sounds great too!

But, 3 nights each could cost you more than a cruise (hotels, car rentals, meals). And you have all of your belongings with you which, in touristy areas, are targets for theft.... opportunist know that tourists always have valuables in the trucks of their cars. 

We just spent a week in Waikiki and our hotel (including room rate, mandatory resort fees ($35/night), parking ($40/night), general excise tax, tourist taxes) ran nearly $2K. That was before meals, entertainment, and car rental. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hi farmer- you are asking my opinion so keep in mind that I don’t have any more Insider information than the next cc member. Unfortunately; I do not see your 10/23 Hawaiian ship sailing. I hope I’m wrong.

I do recommend a back up plan.  We all love cruising, but there are other forms of travel that can be exceptional. I’m not waiting on the cruise industry to redefine itself- travel is just too important to me. 

Thanks for your opinion. I hope you're wrong also. Wow, if the cruise lines are still not operating by fall of this year, I don't see how they can survive (at least one or two of them may go bankrupt).

I appreciate your recommendation about having a back up plan and considering other forms of travel. However, I'm a "ship guy" (love ships), so my back up plan may be to just book another cruise for later on (early 2022), lol. As a matter of fact, I have another one "on my radar" (pardon the ship navigation pun). If my PoA cruise does not go, I will wait for NCL to cancel and then get a full refund (no FCC).

By the way, if you don't mind if I ask, what part of Michigan do you live in? It's cold as heck up here now (below 20 degrees) and it won't quit snowing (an arctic air mass came down upon us)! I'd rather be in Hawaii right now, like you.

Take care & keep enjoying Hawaii (I'm sure you will). Aloha 🍍!!

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

G'morning @farmersfight

We live in NW Oakland County, about 45 minutes from Ann Arbor. Yes, family is getting thrashed with snow and cold. After spending this entire winter in paradise, I can honestly say it is highly unlikely I will ever spend another winter in Michigan. I'm good through a white christmas, but that's about it. I believe you are in GR? You definitely get more lake effect than we do.

Unfortunately; I believe that restructuring the cruise lines is inevitable. I pulled all my money from cruise lines with the exception of one nextcruise on NCL and I'm prepared to lose that. While day trading cruise stock was initially very lucrative, I walked away from that market entirely also. To me, the writing is on the wall. Of course, I've been wrong before.

Since you are strictly a "ship guy", have you considered a different type of cruise ship? This article appeared today, I haven't researched the cost, but it seems a good alternative to those who really only prefer to sail. Small Ship Lines Commit to Alaska Cruising for 2021 - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

I believe Norway just extended it's cruise restrictions, but there are some lovely small lines sailing there too. If one must only cruise, then I think looking at ships that sail with less than 200 people is a safe bet for 2021.

I feel like small ships have the potential to be a solid investment. The opportunity is there to capture part at least part of the pent up "ship guy" market. Someone needs to get a small ship sailing here in Hawaii. I suspect it would have tremendous popularity even after Covid. In fact, I suspect many people are going to rethink large group gatherings for decades to come. Small ship sailing may become the next rage :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But, 3 nights each could cost you more than a cruise (hotels, car rentals, meals). And you have all of your belongings with you which, in touristy areas, are targets for theft.... opportunist know that tourists always have valuables in the trucks of their cars. 

We just spent a week in Waikiki and our hotel (including room rate, mandatory resort fees ($35/night), parking ($40/night), general excise tax, tourist taxes) ran nearly $2K. That was before meals, entertainment, and car rental. 

I have 6 months to final payment and 10 months to sailing. If i see the first part of July that it does not look promising, then i will go to plan B. The cruise for 7 nights and 2 nights precruuse is runnjng nearly 7000.00 i priced out 3-4 star hotels, 200.00 day for meals, and flights between islands and is cheaper than the cruise. Obviously if they still require the crazy testing between islands and Robert's Hawaii js not doing tours than it is not worth the hassel and will make other plans. We never rent a car. We are dropping in cases in North Dallas of Covid, hopefully it will be happening everywhere. Once cases drop that changes everything.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

G'morning @farmersfight

We live in NW Oakland County, about 45 minutes from Ann Arbor. Yes, family is getting thrashed with snow and cold. After spending this entire winter in paradise, I can honestly say it is highly unlikely I will ever spend another winter in Michigan. I'm good through a white christmas, but that's about it. I believe you are in GR? You definitely get more lake effect than we do.

Unfortunately; I believe that restructuring the cruise lines is inevitable. I pulled all my money from cruise lines with the exception of one nextcruise on NCL and I'm prepared to lose that. While day trading cruise stock was initially very lucrative, I walked away from that market entirely also. To me, the writing is on the wall. Of course, I've been wrong before.

Since you are strictly a "ship guy", have you considered a different type of cruise ship? This article appeared today, I haven't researched the cost, but it seems a good alternative to those who really only prefer to sail. Small Ship Lines Commit to Alaska Cruising for 2021 - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

I believe Norway just extended it's cruise restrictions, but there are some lovely small lines sailing there too. If one must only cruise, then I think looking at ships that sail with less than 200 people is a safe bet for 2021.

I feel like small ships have the potential to be a solid investment. The opportunity is there to capture part at least part of the pent up "ship guy" market. Someone needs to get a small ship sailing here in Hawaii. I suspect it would have tremendous popularity even after Covid. In fact, I suspect many people are going to rethink large group gatherings for decades to come. Small ship sailing may become the next rage 🙂

I'm just west of Grand Rapids (40 min drive) in Muskegon. Yeah, ever since this "polar air mass" descended on us, it's been snowing & snowing (especially at night). I wake up and my truck is covered in snow, it seems like every morning.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I was looking at American Cruise Lines. I was interested in a Pugent Sound cruise on American Constellation. These small ships have very spacious rooms, even for solos (like me). However, I did notice these cruises are pricey. Got to keep those U.S. mariners (like me) paid., lol.

We'll see how this all plays out. As a matter of fact, I just took my 84 yr old mom for her 1st covid shot today (Moderna). She has her 2nd shot in 4 weeks. So, the vaccine administration seems to be picking up steam. Hopefully, this will bode well for cruises to restart. Fingers crossed 🤞.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I'm just west of Grand Rapids (40 min drive) in Muskegon. Yeah, ever since this "polar air mass" descended on us, it's been snowing & snowing (especially at night). I wake up and my truck is covered in snow, it seems like every morning.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I was looking at American Cruise Lines. I was interested in a Pugent Sound cruise on American Constellation. These small ships have very spacious rooms, even for solos (like me). However, I did notice these cruises are pricey. Got to keep those U.S. mariners (like me) paid., lol.

We'll see how this all plays out. As a matter of fact, I just took my 84 yr old mom for her 1st covid shot today (Moderna). She has her 2nd shot in 4 weeks. So, the vaccine administration seems to be picking up steam. Hopefully, this will bode well for cruises to restart. Fingers crossed 🤞.

So happy she got her first dose. I got my 2nd dose of Moderna on Saturday and about 27 hours later, I ran a low fever and terribly tired. Sunday not much energy, but today feel fine. I am 75 and office told me that seniors do better with the vax than younger people. I was shocked to see on tv that cases went from 252,000 a month ago and now it is 87,000. That is fabulous news. We are on the downhill slide.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sugcarol said:

So happy she got her first dose. I got my 2nd dose of Moderna on Saturday and about 27 hours later, I ran a low fever and terribly tired. Sunday not much energy, but today feel fine. I am 75 and office told me that seniors do better with the vax than younger people. I was shocked to see on tv that cases went from 252,000 a month ago and now it is 87,000. That is fabulous news. We are on the downhill slide.

Thanks so much for your sentiment wrt to my mom getting her 1st Moderna shot. She said she didn't feel anything when she got the needle, so hopefully there won't be any side effects today or later on (with the 2nd shot either).

I didn't know that about the case count. That is indeed good news and bodes well for cruises to restart! Thanks again...

6 hours ago, sugcarol said:

I was shocked to see on tv that cases went from 252,000 a month ago and now it is 87,000. That is fabulous news. We are on the downhill slide.

Wait a few weeks, it'll go back up.  The Super Bowl just happened and it seems there were some people that didn't heed the warnings about gathering...

15 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Yeah, I was looking at American Cruise Lines. I was interested in a Pugent Sound cruise on American Constellation. These small ships have very spacious rooms, even for solos (like me). However, I did notice these cruises are pricey. Got to keep those U.S. mariners (like me) paid., lol.

You’ll have an amazing time on American Cruise Lines, farmer.  We did the Mississippi River cruise from New Orleans to Memphis on the “America” a couple of years ago and everything was first class.  The fare is a bit pricey, but almost all of the shore excursions were included, as well as alcohol, and there’s a “happy hour” every night before dinner which almost everyone attends.  The food & service are also fabulous and the entertainment, although on a much smaller scale, was a lot of fun.  On the first day, we met two Canadian couples with whom we hung out and had almost all of our meals.  At 65ish, we were some of the younger couples on the cruise, as all of the passengers were older except for one couple in their 30’s, and we were told that’s pretty much the norm.   American has some great itineraries and we’re planning the “Golden Isles” & “American Revolution” cruises in 2022 & ’23.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

You’ll have an amazing time on American Cruise Lines, farmer.  We did the Mississippi River cruise from New Orleans to Memphis on the “America” a couple of years ago and everything was first class.  The fare is a bit pricey, but almost all of the shore excursions were included, as well as alcohol, and there’s a “happy hour” every night before dinner which almost everyone attends.  The food & service are also fabulous and the entertainment, although on a much smaller scale, was a lot of fun.  On the first day, we met two Canadian couples with whom we hung out and had almost all of our meals.  At 65ish, we were some of the younger couples on the cruise, as all of the passengers were older except for one couple in their 30’s, and we were told that’s pretty much the norm.   American has some great itineraries and we’re planning the “Golden Isles” & “American Revolution” cruises in 2022 & ’23.

Thanks for sharing your experience on American Cruise Lines. Great to get first hand knowledge. I think I remember looking at those cruises you're planning (Golden Isles & American Revolution). Those are on American's coastal small ships, I believe?

I like their Constellation class coastal ships. They are fairly decent size. I think I mentioned in a previous post, I was interested in a Pugent Sound cruise on the American Constellation. The staterooms (even for solos) look very spacious.

Another good thing about American Cruise Lines, since all their vessels are U.S. flag, they don't have to worry about PVSA restrictions.

I'll definitely keep American Cruise Lines "on my radar". Thanks again.

https://www.americancruiselines.com/usa-riverboat-cruise-ships

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks for sharing your experience on American Cruise Lines. Great to get first hand knowledge. I think I remember looking at those cruises you're planning (Golden Isles & American Revolution). Those are on American's coastal small ships, I believe?

I like their Constellation class coastal ships. They are fairly decent size. I think I mentioned in a previous post, I was interested in a Pugent Sound cruise on the American Constellation. The staterooms (even for solos) look very spacious.

Another good thing about American Cruise Lines, since all their vessels are U.S. flag, they don't have to worry about PVSA restrictions.

I'll definitely keep American Cruise Lines "on my radar". Thanks again.

https://www.americancruiselines.com/usa-riverboat-cruise-ships

I believe you're right about the coastal small ships for those cruises.  As I recall, the "America" wasn't that large, but we had a balcony stateroom & it was quite spacious.  Whatever you decide, have a lovely cruise!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I believe you're right about the coastal small ships for those cruises.  As I recall, the "America" wasn't that large, but we had a balcony stateroom & it was quite spacious.  Whatever you decide, have a lovely cruise!

If the major cruise lines don't start operating again within a reasonable time, American Cruise Lines may be the only option!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sugcarol said:

22,000 attended the Super Bowl and there were 30,000 cardboard cutouts. 27 million vaccines have been given. The game was just a blip. Based on the rate of vaccines being given, the numbers will go down overall instead of up.

lol that's just AT the game.  I guess we missed the videos of partying in the streets?  Bars, restaurants with events going on, people having groups over to their houses.  Just being realistic...

2 hours ago, hallux said:

lol that's just AT the game.  I guess we missed the videos of partying in the streets?  Bars, restaurants with events going on, people having groups over to their houses.  Just being realistic...

Still a blip on the radar. We will be giving vaccines faster than the flow of positive cases. I am confident that we are going to see good numbers ahead in a short period of time. Follow the science, and CDC is seeing much less cases than where we were 30 days ago and at that time we werent giving the amount of vaccines that we are today.  I am being realistic.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 9:25 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

G'morning @farmersfightSomeone needs to get a small ship sailing here in Hawaii. I suspect it would have tremendous popularity even after Covid. In fact, I suspect many people are going to rethink large group gatherings for decades to come. Small ship sailing may become the next rage 🙂

Small ships can be violently tossed around by high winds and waves that funnel between Hawaiian islands, esp when going upwind. I think the coast guard would require expensive hardcore seagoing capability, probably more like Norwegian coastal steamers than those flimsy river steamers. I have made various HI interisland trips in small boats and half the time arrived beat up and exhausted, while others got physically ill.

Also new modes of visits can meet resistance; Kauai activists met maiden voyages of a ferry with violent confrontations, and Molokai protested a small cruise ship's test visit.

Edited by dumbth

7 hours ago, dumbth said:

Also new modes of visits can meet resistance; Kauai activists met maiden voyages of a ferry with violent confrontations, and Molokai protested a small cruise ship's test visit.

@dumbth

Quick question for you...

Were the protests/confrontations before or during C-19?