Feb 19th, 2021 day San Juan to Rome.

angela miller

I live in Puerto Rico and the port of San Juan is not open to cruise ships yet.  If we open in November Viking would need to have a ship on its way here by mid December in order to run January and February cruises and then sail back to the Med.  Watch for movement of the Viking fleet to see if any ship heads to the Caribbean.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How much lead  time does Viking Ocean need to convene a crew? I would guess three or four weeks to notify, travel, medically qualify, and begin to open a ship. If Viking wants to originate a cruise in San Juan PR in mid February, there should be crew activity in Moldava, Ukraine, Montenegro, Ethiopia, etc by late Decemberr, I would think.

Edited by Cienfuegos

I'm on this cruise also.  I certainly hope we know by the end of November if it is being canceled. There are a lot of people dropping out.  Lots of cabins are available.  Coming all the way to Puerto Rico for a month and a half seems unlikely especially if the ship isn't full.  It will be interesting to see if excursions become available in November as promised.

Cynthia

20 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

How much lead  time does Viking Ocean need to convene a crew? I would guess three or four weeks to notify, travel, medically qualify, and begin to open a ship. If Viking wants to originate a cruise in San Juan PR in mid February, there should be crew activity in Moldava, Ukraine, Montenegro, Ethiopia, etc by late Decemberr, I would think.

Not sure if Viking's crew policies have changed, but when we left the Sun in April, the Viking crew at home were receiving a portion of their wages, so were basically on retainer. The crew are also well advised regarding their schedules, knowing sign-on/sign-off dates 3 contracts ahead (pre-COVID).

If cruising is to resume in the New Year, I expect notifications going out to the crew shortly, but no movement until about 2 to 3 weeks before resuming service. The ships would no doubt load victuals before departing Europe, as they all come from a central warehouse in Germany.

At 12 kts, the transit from Europe to San Juan is 12 to 17 days, which can be reduced to 8 to 10 days at higher speeds. I would expect most of the hotel crew to join in Europe, then top off the crew a day before resuming ops. Crossing the Atlantic they will have emergency drills, the "Superstar" induction training and preparing the ship for pax.

• Like 1

Its probably some different but I am always impressed, when speaking with crew, that they knew which ship they would be on at any given date for, like you say, three contracts out.  In the Olden Days when I worked at sea it seemed to me that every time my go home day came my relief fell on his head, was abducted by aliens, etc.  When I arrived home, inevitably got a call after a week or so saying there was an "emergency" and they really needed me back.  Probably exaggerating just a bit but I would have loved to have had solid contracts with dates you could count on.  😎

Thanks for the info.  So, if the ship is now in Europe, and is expected to depart San Juan PR in mid-February, we should see crew activity etc in Europe by early to mid January?

That would suggest agreements would be in place to allow folks from Thailand, Moldava, Ethiopia, etc to enter western Europe and begin crew service perhaps the second or third week of January.

I'm looking at the critical path of various steps needed to allow  timely departure, and what early signs of activity should be expected.  With rising Covid activity in several European countries,  the entry protocol for crew members may have added quarantine etc.

14 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Its probably some different but I am always impressed, when speaking with crew, that they knew which ship they would be on at any given date for, like you say, three contracts out.  In the Olden Days when I worked at sea it seemed to me that every time my go home day came my relief fell on his head, was abducted by aliens, etc.  When I arrived home, inevitably got a call after a week or so saying there was an "emergency" and they really needed me back.  Probably exaggerating just a bit but I would have loved to have had solid contracts with dates you could count on.  😎

Jim - my experience was similar. We never knew when, or where we were going until a few days before leaving. A couple days before the end of our leave we received a call from London advising the ship's name and joining date. Next morning the postman delivered the instructions - flights, etc.

Just after we were married, I was scheduled to join Sun Princess in Vancouver. However, while on our honeymoon, staying in a campground in Victoria, I received a message from the campground office advising I had a phone call from London. The crewing chap had tracked me down and asked if I could sign-on a couple of weeks early. I believe it was Thursday and the ship was in Vancouver on Saturday.

Packed up the camper, headed to the ferry to get back to the mainland. Packed and reported to the ship early Saturday morning.

I could only dream of knowing joining dates and even sign-off dates in advance. 

13 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Thanks for the info.  So, if the ship is now in Europe, and is expected to depart San Juan PR in mid-February, we should see crew activity etc in Europe by early to mid January?

That would suggest agreements would be in place to allow folks from Thailand, Moldava, Ethiopia, etc to enter western Europe and begin crew service perhaps the second or third week of January.

I'm looking at the critical path of various steps needed to allow  timely departure, and what early signs of activity should be expected.  With rising Covid activity in several European countries,  the entry protocol for crew members may have added quarantine etc.

If the ship resumes service in mid-Feb in San Juan PR, I would except it to start loading stores the last week of January and set sail at the end of January. Don't track bunker prices, so not sure where they will top off the tanks, but that only takes 1/2 day.

I would expect Hotel Managers/Supervisors and some hotel crew to start arriving in mid-January with most of the hotel crew just before they start loading stores.

All assuming the ships were maintained in hot layup, if they have gone to cold layup it would take Deck & Engineering a few days to get the systems up and running before the hotel crew arrive.

Viking Jupiter is probably the bellwether ship to watch. It is on the schedule to embark passengers on 2 January 2021 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. She is currently reported to be in the North Sea, en route to Skagen, Norway (Vessel Finder).

I should also mention that Viking Venus is currently fitting out at Fincantieri's Ancona, Italy shipyard, and is not statused on Vessel Finder. She is scheduled to board pax in Rome for the "Chairman's Cruise" on about the 19th. I would keep an eye out for her to show up on Vessel Finder to know if those pax will have a ship to sail on...

Edited by What was that?

Viking Jupiter appears to have crossed Skagerrak and is returning to Kristiansand. Could be multiple reasons, but since she hasn't headed out to sea for 4 months, she may have completed an engine rebuild and is running them in.

The Venus is not yet operational, so the AIS is not powered up. Once the AIS is powered up, you will see her in the various position reporting websites, provided they have a close shore station, or you can receive the satellite position info.

18 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking Jupiter appears to have crossed Skagerrak and is returning to Kristiansand. Could be multiple reasons, but since she hasn't headed out to sea for 4 months, she may have completed an engine rebuild and is running them in.

The Venus is not yet operational, so the AIS is not powered up. Once the AIS is powered up, you will see her in the various position reporting websites, provided they have a close shore station, or you can receive the satellite position info.

That all makes sense.

I mentioned these as possible early indicators of preparation for resumption (or not) of scheduled cruising. For instance, for Jupiter to transit from her current location to Buenos Aires in time for her next cruise on 2 January - at least a 20-day voyage (I guess) - we would expect her to be moving in that direction in early December.

As for Venus, we are booked on her 26 January boarding in Barcelona so that is of personal interest to us.

I know all of us are looking for clues to the future, and these are my contributions.

16 minutes ago, angela miller said:

Great info! I will start watching the Viking Star for movement to the Caribbean as she starts sailing there in early January.

For others who want to join in this "fun", here are all the initial January departures by ship:

• 2 Jan: Jupiter, Buenos Aires
  • 3 Jan: Sky, Miami
  • 6 Jan: Orion, Sydney
  • 6 Jan: Sea, Barcelona
  • 9 Jan: Star, San Juan
  • 19 Jan: Venus, Rome

Where is Viking Sun? It is reported in the Baltic Port of Mukran, Germany, and no cruises until May.

Edited by What was that?
Correct an error.
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Where is Viking Sun? It is reported in the Baltic Port of Mukran, Germany, and no cruises until May.

We are supposed to be on the Sun's 21 May 2021 departure from London.  I think I will wait until after the new year to firm up our air travel.  We usually fly in/out from PHX since we have a place there but we live in "warm today" Reno.

5 hours ago, What was that? said:

That all makes sense.

I mentioned these as possible early indicators of preparation for resumption (or not) of scheduled cruising. For instance, for Jupiter to transit from her current location to Buenos Aires in time for her next cruise on 2 January - at least a 20-day voyage (I guess) - we would expect her to be moving in that direction in early December.

As for Venus, we are booked on her 26 January boarding in Barcelona so that is of personal interest to us.

I know all of us are looking for clues to the future, and these are my contributions.

Kristiansand to BA is about 6,700 nautical miles, so at an economical speed of 12 kts, it would take a little over 23 days, plus any time deviating for bunkers.

Affirmative, to sail with pax on Jan 2nd, she would be setting sail in first week of December.

For the Venus, the first time the AIS is powered up could be just before the trials.

In checking the US Dept of State and the US Embassy websites, travel to Argentina by US citizens is not allowed at this time.  The State Dept has Argentina as a Level 4 or Red for travel.  We are booked on the January 2, 2021 Buenos Aires to Santiago Jupiter cruise.  I don't see how this will happen but Viking has not yet cancelled the cruise.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:28 AM, What was that? said:

She is scheduled to board pax in Rome for the "Chairman's Cruise" on about the 19th.

I'm on that one...and sincerely doubt that it'll happen, especially given Italy's covid numbers. Even if this cruise DOES go, I highly doubt I'd feel comfortable with it and will likely cancel. Not even going to local restuarants, let alone 3 weeks of (at least planned) intensive sightseeing in Europe. I know I'd be worried about it the entire time - so, really, why bother? Doesn't seem to fit into my concept of any sort of relaxing and/or enjoyable vacation. We've had pre and post cruise hotels booked for months already, as well as an all-day private tour in Rome through Viator. That, alone, is likely to be canceled. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm on that one...and sincerely doubt that it'll happen, especially given Italy's covid numbers. Even if this cruise DOES go, I highly doubt I'd feel comfortable with it and will likely cancel. Not even going to local restuarants, let alone 3 weeks of (at least planned) intensive sightseeing in Europe. I know I'd be worried about it the entire time - so, really, why bother? Doesn't seem to fit into my concept of any sort of relaxing and/or enjoyable vacation. We've had pre and post cruise hotels booked for months already, as well as an all-day private tour in Rome through Viator. That, alone, is likely to be canceled. 

That is on my mind, too. When will I feel comfortable with both the changes aboard the ships, and the limitations in ports, not to mention air travel and hotels? Also, how will cruise lines overcome passengers' reluctance to resume cruising in this environment?

The only reason we have not canceled is because some of our party would like to wait until Viking cancels so they can get the voucher bonus (or 100% refund) - if we cancel we would only get back 100%, and that only as a voucher.

And I was so looking forward to meeting you in Barcelona on Venus. 😉

Yeah...same here. Have been really looking forward to these 2 cruises ever since we signed on to the invitational, and then added the Iberian Explorer, THEN got even luckier in getting the same room for both cruises so no need to get off the ship overnight on 1/25. Ah yes....with how the world changed since March some of these thoughts seem like they must have just been part of a dream. And at the time I couldn't have imagined that much worse would come along  for us (at least in terms of travel) than what happened on the Sky. I'd redo all that again in a heartbeat if it could negate this covid situation. 

Edited by OnTheJourney