Something New?

Dolebludger

We got a mailer from Regent today promoting 2021 cruises to S. America, Canada, and Alaska. What may be new is that the new protocols were described. What was described came as no surprise. But what wasn’t mentioned (that I could find) was any onboard mask requirements. Also I could find no direct mention of any prohibition of going on shore at ports on one’s own. 

I don’t think it is anything new. It has been in their mailers for a few months now. This is something NCLH came up with before the Healthy Sail Panel recommendations. It does not appear to reflect the most recent developments.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

We got a mailer from Regent today promoting 2021 cruises to S. America, Canada, and Alaska. What may be new is that the new protocols were described. What was described came as no surprise. But what wasn’t mentioned (that I could find) was any onboard mask requirements. Also I could find no direct mention of any prohibition of going on shore at ports on one’s own. 

The decisions on Shore will not be Regent's but the ports they are in and these Countries. It will be like Russian embarkation, at their discretion. Last year we were on the Navigator when we docked in Murmansk. We were in the middle of nowhere a wood yard. On the Quay were security officials (KGB?) , you could not even get on the gangplank without permission and would not have got 50m without arrest!! We were delayed in Murmansk by weather and did not go onto Archangel or the Solvensky Islands, the guys on the quay did not look friendly at all. There was an argument re: the crew painting the sides , touching up the ship as they do everywhere , in Murmansk with these guys. This will be the pattern in most ports , with only leaving as the port authorities want. The "new normal"?

4 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

The decisions on Shore will not be Regent's but the ports they are in and these Countries. It will be like Russian embarkation, at their discretion. Last year we were on the Navigator when we docked in Murmansk. We were in the middle of nowhere a wood yard. On the Quay were security officials (KGB?) , you could not even get on the gangplank without permission and would not have got 50m without arrest!! We were delayed in Murmansk by weather and did not go onto Archangel or the Solvensky Islands, the guys on the quay did not look friendly at all. There was an argument re: the crew painting the sides , touching up the ship as they do everywhere , in Murmansk with these guys. This will be the pattern in most ports , with only leaving as the port authorities want. The "new normal"?

I'm digressing somewhat, but our experience with Russian authority (immigration on entering at St. Petersburg) is exactly the same. Our "officer", a young lady who seemed about 12 yrs old, was the most sour, unsmiling, and just short of rude, person we encountered. I expected to be carted off to some back room and be strip searched! I guess that's just the way they do things over there. Maybe she was just having a bad day.......(giggle!)

4 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

The decisions on Shore will not be Regent's but the ports they are in and these Countries.

This is all speculation, of course, and I'm sure the port authorities will have their own rules, but I believe the shore excursion decision will also be the cruise line's to make--the idea is that they don't want you bringing the virus back onto the ship.

41 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

Solvensky Islands? We couldn't go on the NAV 2018. From what I have learned it seem the the ships rarely get there ever, kinda like the Falkland Island, less then 50%.

J

We sailed this itinerary on Navigator in 2018. We did not get to the Solvensky Islands either. We did get to Archangel and Murmansk. The port was ugly and dirty. But the people were very friendly in Archangel. 
Having been to St. Petersburg ( which was warm and friendly), several years earlier, these ports were stuck in the 1970’s. Found it fascinating, having been to the Soviet Union (Moscow and Leningrad) many years ago. 
I guess we were lucky that we visited the Falkland Islands, which was so interesting, several years ago. It was a beautiful day. 
You have brought back some memorable sailings! Thanks!

sheila and Herb 

I’m sorry to have posted this, if Regent had sent mailers with similar content before, I did not get those.  But my post was really about possible protocols and requirements that WEREN’T mentioned. Like what mask requirements will be in force onboard? And will we have to be on a Regent shore excursion to get into a port? About the last question, our last Regent cruise was on the Mariner  about 3 or 4 years ago from Tahiti around the Society Islands, stopped at Easter Island, and terminated in Lima, Peru. On the Easter Island stop, the ship was there long before our Regent tour began. So we did a tour on our own, in addition. We like to do some exploration on our own, in  addition to Regent included tours. We are used to wearing masks in public areas, except when we are eating or drinking, so that is not an issue for us. It is for some, and the protocols I received did not address this matter. And the ability to  explore in ports on one’s own was not addressed. And with significant elements of a 2021 cruise not addressed, does Regent really think we will pay any deposit for one? No way!

• Like 2