9 Day Cruise Cancelled? (or shortened?)

Sand and Seas

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

I doubt that everyone will get the vaccine that fast... EU has ordered 300 million. Germany has app. 82 million citizens. You need two doeses of the vaccine. Germany has claimed we need 100 million. First all high risk groups and people working in the medical area (nurses, doctors...) will get it. "Normal" people like me will get it last.

steamboats

Japan has the biggest (single country) pre order at 120 million on top of that the German government are the ones who have funded the development, clinical trial and manufacturing of the vaccine, does this give them first dibs.... who knows?

Edited by ziggyuk

I know this topic is about cruises longer than 7 days but we have a back to back scheduled for the end of January.   Has anyone heard if they are allowing back to back cruises?  We are actually thinking about pushing the cruises out to the end of March since it doesn't look good for January cruises to be ready to go.  

7 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

If the CDC article is correct, and I assume it is, why has my April 23 Breakaway 9 day cruise not been canceled? I wish NCL would do this and save me the trouble.

The bottom line is that it is hard to do. It’s not like driving down the highway and stopping on the spur of the moment at a Motel 6. To reschedule, you need to reserve ports and ensure you can logistically execute an entire season of itineraries (not just your one cruise). They are trying to do it with a minimal disruption to existing reservations so that they don’t have to cancel 10’s of thousands of reservations. It is more than just you. 

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Japan has the biggest (single country) pre order at 120 million on top of that the German government are the ones who have funded the development, clinical trial and manufacturing of the vaccine, does this give them first dibs.... who knows?

So the Japan order will vaccinate less than half their population. Front line workers and high risk people. 

32 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So the Japan order will vaccinate less than half their population. Front line workers and high risk people. 

These are initial orders dating back before the announcement, obviously countries can place further orders but I would expect pre orders to take priority over new orders.

By the same token the UK pre ordered 40 million 1/3 of the population (UK is wrong on graph below) and the US has pre ordered 100 million for 1/6 of your population.

What is your point? Japan has ordered more per capita at half the population than any other nation.

And those 100 million available by end 2020 won't go far when shared across the the nations with pre orders.

image.png.aa5feae2e57d8e1b17c5928dd2c53956.png

Edited by ziggyuk

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The bottom line is that it is hard to do. It’s not like driving down the highway and stopping on the spur of the moment at a Motel 6. To reschedule, you need to reserve ports and ensure you can logistically execute an entire season of itineraries (not just your one cruise). They are trying to do it with a minimal disruption to existing reservations so that they don’t have to cancel 10’s of thousands of reservations. It is more than just you. 

Good points-   The April & May Breakaway 9 day cruises are Southern (ABC islands).     I wonder if they could try to go south for a couple of those ports on a 7 day from Miami.    

3 hours ago, pandncruisers said:

I know this topic is about cruises longer than 7 days but we have a back to back scheduled for the end of January.   Has anyone heard if they are allowing back to back cruises?  We are actually thinking about pushing the cruises out to the end of March since it doesn't look good for January cruises to be ready to go.  

I wish someone  had an answer for this but all of this Covid-19 is so new, I doubt anyone has an accurate answer.  I would no expect a b2b cruise to be acceptable until after a vaccine has been approved and administered to all pax to be acceptable for such a cruise. 

I love longer cruises but think most will need to be shorter at least until the outcome of 7-day cruises have been accepted and approved. 

I, personally, can't decide if I should cancel my 11-day cruise in Apr. 2021 or cancel and rebook until later in, probably fall of 2021 or even 2022. 

Unfortunately our crystal balls are just not giving us accurate info right now. ( this is not meant to be a nasty note regarding expectations of future cruises.) 

I would welcome a cruise as soon as it is safe to sail.  Show me the proof.  

Cheers 🥂

10 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I love longer cruises

Amen! I have a self imposed 12 day minimum cruise length (when longer cruises resume). Why? Because I can, I'm now retired.

Want a Happy Retirement? Here's Some Retirement Humor to Make You Laugh

10 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I, personally, can't decide if I should cancel my 11-day cruise in Apr. 2021 or cancel and rebook until later in, probably fall of 2021 or even 2022. 

Initially, I thought April 2021 would be when cruising returns to "normal" (with a vaccine) but now that I understand that the vaccine will require 2 shots, with time in between them, the time line for cruising to return may be pushed back later into 2021 (fall maybe).

How about waiting until just before your final payment is due and see where things stand at that point? If you have to cancel then, you can get a full refund.

• Like 1

For everyone asking why haven't they canceled cruises longer than 7 days or similar... They just don't know yet when they can restart.  And we know it will be with only a small number of ships at first.

* They don't want to start mass cancelations early - they want to hold on to your money

* They can't reschedule yet - it's hard work and they want to move you to a valid cruise and hope you take the new cruise or some new cruise so they keep your money

* As always, they will start with the most immediate issues - January cruises. They will cancel the ones they have to, and adjust the schedules of whatever ships are going to sail for January or February. 

* And then they will work on March.  And then on April.  And it will be infuriating as we wait but it is a slow process to realign all these cruises - it's what we've already seen.

And all this depends on success.  The first test has already failed. Go see the other thread on that... It does not bode well for a restart, and neither does the growing national crisis.  If hospital beds are 90% or more in use within 100 miles of Miami, Port Canaveral, NYC, etc.... nobody in their right mind will allow a cruise ship to operate there.

So many unknowns. Dang.  I too, have one of those longer cruises booked, 16 day ocean to ocean Panama Canal, Miami to LA, Feb 21 to March 9 2021, Bliss. Awesome intin. We are certain this cruise will not happen. Hoping NCL will cancel prior to final payment, if they don't we will cancel. And hopefully NCL will extend the expiration dates for using FCC from prior cancelled cruises as well as Cruise Next certs purchased while on past cruises.  Have some of both applied to this Panama Canal trip. 

Like farmersfight I am also retired and much prefer longer cruises!  

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, ziggyuk said:

What is your point? Japan has ordered more per capita at half the population than any other nation.

The point was that people throw around numbers to sound impressive. 100M doses doesn’t begin to scratch the need. Nor does 120M doses. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The point was that people throw around numbers to sound impressive. 100M doses doesn’t begin to scratch the need. Nor does 120M doses. 

Then my point went right over your head as that was exactly what I was saying, there will only be 100M this side of Christmas, with Japan pre ordering 120M, US 100M and UK 40M and many more totalling over 300M.
There won't be much of that 100M to share around, I imagine all those pre orders have to be fulfilled before they supply more and every nation is clambering to order now they announced.

We now have two vaccines announced but we need more, the UK government has 550M doses on order (across the candidates) with a population of 60M, as more start to come through, and fingers cross are equally as good, those numbers should improve, I'm sure other governments have done the same.

• Like 1

Good Afternoon,

Just checked on our February 1 sailing on the Jade and received the same response, no change.

The NCL representative said they haven't had any updates since 10/30.  

I have no doubt this cruise will be cancelled.  I don't think they will modify the itinerary to a 7 day.

Good Luck to all and hope to see you on deck soon.

Rich and Kathy

• Like 1