Key West voters pass cruise ship restrictions

Cienfuegos

Key West voters passed a series of restrictions on cruise ship visits to the Conch Republic. There were actually three separate items: one to ban ships with 1,300 crew and passengers, another to limit the number of people allowed ashore from all ships to 1,500 per day, and a third to prefer docking to lines with the best sanitation and environmental records.

The cruise line association is now interested in a dialogue with the town.  It's likely the Florida legislature may also become engaged.  They've become involved in a number of local referendum decisions when the outcome offends powerful interests

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article246985347.html

1 hour ago, BlueHerons said:

Thank God!  Key West is so much better without the cruise ships. 

I am sure that there are several business owners in Key West who would disagree with you, but the majority rules and everyone will need to learn to live with the restrictions.

I will miss great Cuban food at El Siboney on port visits - I have been enjoying that place since the early 80's. 😢

6 hours ago, JohninDC said:

I am sure that there are several business owners in Key West who would disagree with you, but the majority rules and everyone will need to learn to live with the restrictions.

I will miss great Cuban food at El Siboney on port visits - I have been enjoying that place since the early 80's. 😢

My parents had a home in Key West for years and we are still close with many conchs.  The locals are overwhelmingly grateful the cruise ships are gone.  

The environmental impact wasn't worth the financial part.  

Multiple studies were done and cruise ship passengers spent very little money.  They don't eat and don't book hotel rooms.

I love El Siboney! Pepes is also very good.

Edited by BlueHerons

• 5 weeks later...