Veterans and Remembrance Day

0bnxshs

To all our men and women in uniform, American, Canadian, British, Australian and New Zealanders, who served, are serving and will serve in the future, God Bless You and Thank You.  Your sacrifice is the bedrock our countries were built upon and now stand upon.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

God Bless all those who served and are serving today.  When I was a boy we called this day Armistice day and we were off from school.  There was always a moment of silence at 11:11AM on 11/11. I knew many adults who served in that war.

• Like 5

I do recall standing and facing east (?) in school at 11:00 a.m. in the 1950s.

I am a vet. I went into the US Navy in 1966 and I weighed 165. I got out in 1970 and weighed 240!! Lots of sitting on bar stools!!!

I don't regret any time that I spent in the service.

Jim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Throughout my childhood, I lived in military housing at various AF and Army bases/posts.  I do remember wearing poppies and the minute of silence at 11 am observed on base/post.  It was a solemn day then.  Same thing when I served 9 years in the AF.

The VA hospital just a stones throw from where I live will stop all incoming and outgoing traffic and observe a minute of silence at 11 am, just a few minutes from now.  I'm leaving now to participate in their observance and do my volunteering.

Again, thank you to all vets.  BTW, the Dept. of the Interior announced yesterday that all vets are now able to visit all US National Parks for free for their lifetime.  A thoughtful gift.

• Like 5

I recall attending a Veteran's Day service while on a Holland America Cruise.  It was a beautiful, thoughtful tribute.  I thanked my DH today for serving, and coming home. He was a fighter pilot in Vietnam.

Karen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1