New vaccine

hollyjess

3 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Jane please read the snopes page I posted about this information. Some of it is considered to be dangerous and not at all useful.

Oh really? I haven't got to your post yet - just catching up - but I'll find it and read it now. Thanks Dingle Dinglebert for the tip-off. Bw. Jane

18 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Certainly in Scotland as we speak there is no vaccine proof card.   The easiest way to get one is to do a Subject Access Request from who did your vaccine  eg if GP then GP, if health board then health board.  However they are soon going to get very fed up doing these.  They are time consuming.  A solution will have to be found.

A record card is provided in England.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks Jaydee & Kentish Lass.

Interesting that Saga seem to be a bit vague about what they will accept, as it appears that there is no "official" one size fits all that is provided to the jabee.

I'm sure that by the time i get my second jab the gov. will have produced an "official" document for people to apply for via text or email,maybe a new card similar to the new "ghic".

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I find it really odd that Pfizer state second jab should be done in 3 weeks and apparently we have decided that 12 weeks is better?  Surely the recommended dose should be the correct one.

Most of the RC posters are Americans and they are on 3 weeks gap for Pfizer and 4 weeks for Moderna vaccinations.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Jane please read the snopes page I posted about this information. Some of it is considered to be dangerous and not at all useful.

Wow! Quite a difference in recommendations. Thanks so much for posting and drawing my attention to it. Quite a lot to digest. BW. Jane

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I find it really odd that Pfizer state second jab should be done in 3 weeks and apparently we have decided that 12 weeks is better?  Surely the recommended dose should be the correct one.

I don't think it was ever stated that 12 weeks is better, it was done to give more people protection. The government have taken a gamble and only time will tell whether that gamble pays off, I have mentioned this several times in previous posts. Almost half a million people have now had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine so there will be a benchmark to compare both regimes. It is still to early to judge fairly.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Be handy to get you view on what you would recommend Jane.

When I get back to work on Friday I'll get some solid advice from one of the docs and post again. I don't want to commit to my own views without medical assurance in case I'm way out. See I thought a lot of the info in your post made a lot of sense but the Snopes post questioned some of it. Let me get to you. In the meanwhile, keep well. BW. Jane

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Certainly in Scotland as we speak there is no vaccine proof card.   The easiest way to get one is to do a Subject Access Request from who did your vaccine  eg if GP then GP, if health board then health board.  However they are soon going to get very fed up doing these.  They are time consuming.  A solution will have to be found.

The GP rang up but the vaccine was done at a local NHS centre. I am sure he can get the subject access request done if we need to do it. Cunard with a high age average onboard will likely be same as Saga I imagine.

19 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

I'm sure that by the time i get my second jab the gov. will have produced an "official" document for people to apply for via text or email,maybe a new card similar to the new "ghic".

And how long do you think that card will take to come out and be sent to you?

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Most of the RC posters are Americans and they are on 3 weeks gap for Pfizer and 4 weeks for Moderna vaccinations.

But they have manufacturing capacity in America for both situations. Sadly we do not. Hence why they had to make decision to spread pfizer out and vacc to as many as possible against following the established science when the infection rates shot up a month ago. A tough call to make for sure.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, just not sure they should be gambling!

But would you if that gamble worked?. I have never been happy with detracting from the approved method based on clinical trials because that is effectively how I have always worked and it is ingrained. Someone made a good point earlier and questioned if there were two doses of vaccine available to a couple what would they do, have one each and both have some protection or let 1 person have both doses, I would go down the first route unless my partner was in ill health and really needed both. Whichever way it goes the government bashers will blame the government, the decision was based on advice from government health/science advisers.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, tring said:

Salisbury I think.  Yes a lovely atmosphere

Glad to hear you are still going well.  Can I ask if you just vaccinate your own patients in the hub, or are staff shared across patients of all practices using the hub?  Just curious how it works.

Hi Tring. Glad you saw the Salisbury article too. In the hub, we vaccinate all the patients from the 8 practices that form our PCN (Primary Care Network). We share the staff across all the 8 practices. That bit is quite good fun because we're working with different people every day. I don't know how they are recruiting into the large "mass vaccination" sites though. I've been lucky enough to get my first vaccine in our own hub but would gladly have travelled to Salisbury! BW. Jane

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kentish Lass said:

Just had an email from Saga cruises, as we are due to sail on 26 June 2021 stating that we must have been fully vaccinated against Covid at least two weeks prior to departure. No passengers who do not meet this requirement will be allowed to board. Will also need a negative test at the  port and full medical screening before boarding.  Will P&O go down this route, taking into account the difference in age range?

That could get interesting. Fully vaccinated is two jabs, and I’m not sure all the over 50s will get two doses by June. 

However, it’s not clear that cruises will actually be sailing, so it’s a wait and see situation.

However, it’s another hoop to jump through, and if it ends up that there are too many hoops, it will impact my desire to cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

You obviously didn't see the programme referred to. I did. It referred to having the worst death rate in the world, talked about the reasons,  and mentioned specifically the indecision, the fact that the UK was the very last country in Europe to lock down, and eat out to help out really meaning helping out the virus. 

Would you care to defend our poor record? The usual complaint is BBC bias but this wasn't even the BBC. Difficult to defend the indefensible. 

Didn't eat out to help out finish in August, when from memory death rates were very low. So I think that trying to implicate this as a major factor in our high death rate seems rather like an own goal.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Beckett said:

When I get back to work on Friday I'll get some solid advice from one of the docs and post again. I don't want to commit to my own views without medical assurance in case I'm way out. See I thought a lot of the info in your post made a lot of sense but the Snopes post questioned some of it. Let me get to you. In the meanwhile, keep well. BW. Jane

That should have read "let me get back to you". Sorry!

10 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thanks Jane, advice will always be questionable and science and techniques will always change, you only need to consider the advice that the government advisors give out, a lot of them are experts in their field but have totally opposing views. I think on the whole your views would be better placed than mine and most other people on here. We still have people who think covid isn't real and feel they can still do as they like, if it were me I would make them work in the hospitals and mortuaries, and of course they wouldn't need expensive PPE because it isn't real. Rant over, sorry.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, just not sure they should be gambling!

It's looking increasingly like a very risky gamble given the latest evidence from Israel, suggesting that one dose may not provide adequate protection against Covid-19.

It's reported in today's Times, which says that health officials have said they will look “very carefully” at the plan to delay second vaccine doses. 

Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser, said the government would “just need to keep measuring the numbers” to ensure that a single dose offered reasonable protection. He also said it was monitoring how many inoculated people were taken to hospital with the virus.

I hope this doesn't backfire.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

But would you if that gamble worked?. I have never been happy with detracting from the approved method based on clinical trials because that is effectively how I have always worked and it is ingrained. Someone made a good point earlier and questioned if there were two doses of vaccine available to a couple what would they do, have one each and both have some protection or let 1 person have both doses, I would go down the first route unless my partner was in ill health and really needed both. Whichever way it goes the government bashers will blame the government, the decision was based on advice from government health/science advisers.

I just hope it’s a gamble that doesn’t come back to bite us on the backside 

• Like 3

On the subject of the vaccination, I note that the number of vaccines administered has dropped over the last three days.

I would expect a dip at the weekends, so I’m expecting a significant increase in the figures reported today.

They are still adamant that the are going give one dose to all over 70s by 15th February, so the figures need to be going up significantly each day if this is to be achieved. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks Jane, advice will always be questionable and science and techniques will always change, you only need to consider the advice that the government advisors give out, a lot of them are experts in their field but have totally opposing views. I think on the whole your views would be better placed than mine and most other people on here. We still have people who think covid isn't real and feel they can still do as they like, if it were me I would make them work in the hospitals and mortuaries, and of course they wouldn't need expensive PPE because it isn't real. Rant over, sorry.

Totally agree Phil.  Even an hour in ICU would focus their minds. As for the mortuaries, many  makeshift buildings are being erected to house the dead because the standard mortuary buildings can no longer cope. That's the grim reality.  Nothing will change their minds though - my rant over too. J.

• Like 6