River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

14 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

It’s supposed to have been started in the Moravian Church in Germany.

I see. I know the Moravians from research and you have had them in England for just a few years longer than we have in Germany. Count Zinzendorf preached in London. Thank you for the info, must look into that.

They are Protestants basically, but separate from the others. They built their own settlements or town quarters according to how they wanted to live in the congregation. This makes for interesting aspects of social, cultural and religious history. Their place in Denmark called Christiansfeld is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

The ship spotters on Binnenschifferforum have seen a new Viking ship at the Neptun shipyard. She is the Viking Nerthus and is not completed yet, but has the logo, name and is floating. She looks large. Is that the next ship for the Rhine/Main/Danube? [not another one! notamermaid thinks].

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 7:58 AM, notamermaid said:

Had forgotten about that one.

Actually, I had never known a Christingle before I went to England, I do not know what the German equivalent is and I do not recall celebrating in such a way. Perhaps we just never did or I was too young to remember.

notamermaid

On 9/10/2024 at 2:52 AM, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid is the Christingle still celebrated in Germany it was started there in the 1740s not old I know but always enjoyed by my Girl Guides, Brownies and Rainbows.

Canal Archive, Thank you for introducing the practice of the Christingle. I have never heard of this over here on this side of the pond. After a little research it appears that Moravian churches and some Reformed churches in the US do have Christingle services. The Christingle seems not to have become a widespread practice anywhere except in the UK, not even in Germany where it originated. Very interesting!

The Moravians in the USA have a church center and a college in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania where I spent some time long ago - not with the Moravians, but at another university there. The Moravian community buildings there and in three other places, one each in Germany, England, and Denmark, now have UNESCO World Heritage status. Their traditions dating back to Jan Hus are of great interest to me. In May I was in Prague and toured the Betlem Kaple (Bethlehem Chapel) where Jan Hus preached.

RDVIK

I think it’s one of those - ohh this is something special so we will integrate it into our lives - I was first introduced to it in I suppose one of the most unlikely of places of worship, the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst Chapel one of the most special places of worship I’ve been privileged to use. To see the Cadets helping the youngsters  and them  looking at these large uniformed Cadets in awe (especially the Senior GuidesR) added to the whole experience. We rotated our places of worship around the area in various denominations and all used the Christingle. Sadly no Jewish, Sikh, or other places of worship available locally but my Guides were invited to a Mosque to visit, which we did. I really loved this interaction youngsters do ask the most penetrating questions!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pontac said:

I have lived in the UK for many years and never ever heard of Christingle before reading of it here. 

It is certainly a bit of an isolated tradition even in the Protestant church. Not Anglican either and it appears that it has not been picked up by may churches. I attended one in Kent many years ago. Never one in Germany.

The Moravians have a few unique traditions. When you are in a town with a congregation do have a look at the architecture or read the notice boards at their churches. I am not sure how many congregations have the original architecture but some do stand out in the overall townscapes. Which is partly what has made the traditions UNESCO material, as noted above by @RDVIK2016. The one in Germany is called Herrnhut. I have never been there, but know the one in Neuwied on the Rhine (from a history project). The church interior is always white, quite different from Protestant or Catholic tradition. UNESCO: https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1468/

Herrnhut is an hour and twenty minutes by car from Dresden, from Bad Schandau it is a good hour.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Now it was a long time ago but if I remember correctly during my school trip to Austria we stayed in a little village Mutters which had a sister village Natters on a day excursion we went to Oberammergau it was the year before the play and we got to stand on the stage and whisper, you actually can hear from the back row. Well on the way back we stopped at the most beautiful small church in the middle of nowhere and inside it was so colourful it almost hurt your eyes. The guide told us that all churches used to be such until the example of the ultra Protestants caused them to tone down the exuberant colour.

11 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Now it was a long time ago but if I remember correctly during my school trip to Austria we stayed in a little village Mutters which had a sister village Natters on a day excursion we went to Oberammergau it was the year before the play and we got to stand on the stage and whisper, you actually can hear from the back row. Well on the way back we stopped at the most beautiful small church in the middle of nowhere and inside it was so colourful it almost hurt your eyes. The guide told us that all churches used to be such until the example of the ultra Protestants caused them to tone down the exuberant colour.

It sounds like you might be describing the beautiful Wieskirche. It is a short distance from Oberammergau, although not exactly on the way back to Mutters. Otherwise maybe it was the Ettal Monastery, which is on the road back, but is a pretty large facility.  Both places are extremely beautiful. To see a really over the top church interior visit the Asamkirche in Munich!