New to NCL

flcruisechick16

Hi there, I am a cruise lover and considering booking a NCL cruise to celebrate finishing cancer treatment and hopefully the end of COVID! Anyhow, we have never sailed NCL before and just wanted to know what to expect. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids who will be 3, 9 and 11 at time of sailing. We have cruised Disney several times and celebrity as a family as adults only on HAL and Princess before kids. We are looking into booking a haven suite (JOY) as we need the space and balcony plus the amenities look lovely. But the reviews I am reading on NCL are mixed. Some people complain about the extra charges but if we have the free at sea with drink package and all the perks won’t that cover most things? And how is the food quality and service? We aren’t fancy but do appreciate good food. Has anyone sailed another line and then tried NCL haven? Were you pleased? Thanks so much for any input you can provide. Happy sailing, hope we can get out there again soon! 

1 hour ago, flcruisechick16 said:

Hi there, I am a cruise lover and considering booking a NCL cruise to celebrate finishing cancer treatment and hopefully the end of COVID! Anyhow, we have never sailed NCL before and just wanted to know what to expect. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids who will be 3, 9 and 11 at time of sailing. We have cruised Disney several times and celebrity as a family as adults only on HAL and Princess before kids. We are looking into booking a haven suite (JOY) as we need the space and balcony plus the amenities look lovely. But the reviews I am reading on NCL are mixed. Some people complain about the extra charges but if we have the free at sea with drink package and all the perks won’t that cover most things? And how is the food quality and service? We aren’t fancy but do appreciate good food. Has anyone sailed another line and then tried NCL haven? Were you pleased? Thanks so much for any input you can provide. Happy sailing, hope we can get out there again soon! 

We loved the Haven on the Getaway.  The food in the Haven restaurant was outstanding, as was the service.  If you order the prime rib, I hope you are hungry!  😄  The Haven Lounge definitely had the best mixologists on the ship and the atmosphere in the lounge and pool area was very laid back.

IMG_1313.JPG

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, flcruisechick16 said:

We've sailed in the Haven and it was great for kids, but if you are budget limited, focus on booking a Two-Bedroom Family Suite, which can provide much of the same benefits - space to relax as a family - without the Haven price tag.  With three kids, you will like having an extra bedroom to allow the early-to-bed sleepers to retire while the adults still can enjoy staying up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flcruisechick16 said:

First of all Congrats to finishing your treatments!  

We have been on the Haven on the Escape and LOVED IT!  The service was incredible and the food in both the Haven restaurant was great for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I cannot recommend it enough.  We had wonderful meals at the specialty restaurants as well.  The dining perk will only cover you and spouse for two specialty meals, but frankly that is fine with such good food in the Haven for the other meals.  Given the age of your kids, you wouldn't have much an extra charge at if they came with you to the two specialty dinners.  Or, maybe you can coordinate one or two meals for just you two, while the kids are watching a movie, or some other activity...you can find sitters for hire usually (no...not the butler...that is not something they do!)

With the drink package, you won't have to spend a penny on alcohol.  Unless you go with a super premium drink/bottle, you are covered.  While it doesn't cover water or specialty coffee, you can ask the butler in the haven to give you a pitcher of water, iced tea, lemonade each day.  

We've had two cruises on the Joy (both in Haven) cancelled through this COVID mess, and are now booked for June in a Haven 2Br with my 25 and 20yr old children.

It is a perfect special vacation environment and given your celebration,  I would say it is worth it!

• Like 1

I can't think of a better way to celebrate than a Havens cabin on NCL.  Congratulations.

NCL is very comparable to Royal Caribbean in many respects. Food, facilities, service, activities, entertainment.  Opinions vary but I see people favor one like or the other based on what they prefer.  In price, NCL usually has an advantage with the Free at Sea pricing for all you get for the price, but usually compares poorly to Royal for a no-frills cruise without Free at Sea.  All the usual price variables apply - time of year, port, length of cruise. Sometimes I find Royal offers a better value, but often it's NCL when I factor in Free at Sea.

Otherwise, it's ship amenities and itinerary that often drive preferences.

• Like 1

we have been on 18 ncl cruises in the last 10 years, and have 2 more booked for 2021, one is a suite on the spirit (doesnt have a haven option) and the other is the 2 bedroom haven.

the only problem you will encounter is that if you book the have, you may never want to book anything less, ever again.

if  your budget allows, go for it. with 3 young kids, the ability to board the ship and disembark at t he end is an added bonus, especially if theyre tires an cranky when you first get to the dock.

you can all relax in the haven's separate pool and restaurant, you'll enjoy the private bar, and the kids can order what they want at anytime and the butler will bring it directly to the cabin

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

What about NCL made you decide you wanted to book with them? Each line has their ups and downs. 

We have cruised Disney with the kids as they have cabins that can accommodate a family of 5. And I have heard great things about the Haven and that they have cabins that can accommodate a family of 5 as well. So I was thinking of giving them a try. Pricewise the Haven is similar or a little more then a similar itinerary in a Disney family balcony but that is just the cruise price only. Drinks, internet, etc are all extra on DCL. We love Disney but were just thinking of giving something else a try and many of the other lines can't accommodate a family of 5 in one cabin. 

9 minutes ago, complawyer said:

we have been on 18 ncl cruises in the last 10 years, and have 2 more booked for 2021, one is a suite on the spirit (doesnt have a haven option) and the other is the 2 bedroom haven.

the only problem you will encounter is that if you book the have, you may never want to book anything less, ever again.

if  your budget allows, go for it. with 3 young kids, the ability to board the ship and disembark at t he end is an added bonus, especially if theyre tires an cranky when you first get to the dock.

you can all relax in the haven's separate pool and restaurant, you'll enjoy the private bar, and the kids can order what they want at anytime and the butler will bring it directly to the cabin

wow, that sounds just fantastic! Yes I know, I feel like the Haven will spoil us haha! Much like DCL has spoiled my kids for expectations on a cruise! But this mama could use a little luxe and R & R after this past 2 years!! Thanks so much! 

5 hours ago, flcruisechick16 said:

I am a cruise lover and considering booking a NCL cruise to celebrate finishing cancer treatment

Sincere congrats for finishing your cancer treatment; that's fantastic!

I shouldn't even be posting on this thread because I have never cruised in a Haven on NCL, so I can't offer any personal experience.

But I have big dreams and someday, I will cruise in the Haven (harkens back to the days of the Titanic, where the Haven = 1st class). Unfortunately, I'm currently more of a "steerage class" passenger;

My Favorite Fierce Film Heroines Part II: Rose | The Art of Making Art

Good luck getting the info you need (I'm sure you will get some great advice/experience wrt the Haven on this thread) to make your decision. And, happy sailing to you and your family also!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flcruisechick16 said:

We are looking into booking a haven suite (JOY) as we need the space and balcony plus the amenities look lovely.

If you can, take a 2BR Suite on deck 17. The balcony is larger vs the same-sized stateroom on deck 18. NCL will probably charge you more for deck 17 vs deck 18, though. Your other option is the Deluxe Owner's Suite which will cost substantially more. 

But the reviews I am reading on NCL are mixed.

Those mixed reviews happen often with NCL. The reviews from Haven guests tend to be much more positive. There are some negative Haven reviews but they tend to be from people who had unrealistic expectations that weren't met.  

Some people complain about the extra charges but if we have the free at sea with drink package and all the perks won’t that cover most things?

Some people complain about "options". What many people don't realize is that for most "cost extra", options, there are also complimentary options. For example, NCL charges extra for the adult-only sundeck (with hot tubs) but there is also a complimentary adult-only sundeck (with hot-tub). Specialty coffee is not included with the Premium Beverage Package but standard coffee is complimentary. There are several specialty restaurants that usually cost more (your promo will cover 2 meals for guests 1&2) but there are several complimentary restaurants. People who complain that there are too many options tend to miss what's included.

And how is the food quality and service? We aren’t fancy but do appreciate good food.

I enjoy both. I suggest looking to the menus for the restaurants on Joy to get an idea of what you might like. CLICK HERE for a nice review from BirdTravels that shows several menus and photos. 

Has anyone sailed another line and then tried NCL haven? Were you pleased?

After Carnival and RCCL, I've enjoyed NCL Haven very much. I also enjoyed MSC Yacht Club (most similar to NCL Haven). We have 2 young children and NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club are our cruises of choice. In your case, I wouldn't recommend MSC as they do not have Yacht Club Suites that sleep more than 4. You would need 2 suites for a family of 5. 

The only negatives for NCL Joy Haven are that Joy doesn't have a Spa and after the recent category changes, Joy has more staterooms with Haven access than the other NCL Havens. We don't know at this point how crowded Joy's Haven will be compared to Bliss, Encore, etc. Having the Haven Observation Lounge will help with the crowds and the adult-only Haven sundeck might help with keeping the courtyard child-friendly so there are places for people...

T0527NCLJOYLHAVEN_HR.jpg?n=6423&origwidt

(the top deck of the courtyard allows children and is usually empty with plenty of loungers)

...to spread out. 

• Like 1

wow, that sounds just fantastic! Yes I know, I feel like the Haven will spoil us haha! Much like DCL has spoiled my kids for expectations on a cruise! But this mama could use a little luxe and R & R after this past 2 years!! Thanks so much! 

the dont think twice, book the haven NOW!!!. by the way, which ship and itinerary are you looking at if i may  be so bold as to inquire

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, complawyer said:

the dont think twice, book the haven NOW!!!. by the way, which ship and itinerary are you looking at if i may  be so bold as to inquire

normally, i will only leave a thought or in extreme cases maybe two.

as a cancer survivor, you deserve all the TLC you can get. in the haven, the butler will pamer you like crazy, the concierge can take care of all your reservations, shore excursions, there are great activities onboard for your kids, in splash academy, 

in fact if you want to just chill, sit on your balcony and drink pina colada's all day, that's an option no one can take away from  you. the butler will bring, cookies, m&m's assorted fruits, i ask for assorted meats, cheeses and crackers. you can soak in an in room jacuzzi tub (if thecabin has one) or the quiet area by the haven pool. you can relax at  the bar, and after a few days, it becomes like "cheers" everyone knows your name.

my name indicates i am a retired lawyer.  In my professional,legal opinion "GO FOR IT"  andhave a great time.  BON VOYAGE!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flcruisechick16 said:

Congrats on finishing your treatments!  A great accomplishment.

We sail predominantly on NCL and RCCL now (but are high up in the loyalty programs on other lines). We enjoy NCL and enjoy the pampering in the Haven. The food quality and service is fine. The Haven restaurant (serving 3 meals a day) is great and far superior than, say, RCCL. 

The drinks package will take care of the alcohol therapy on the cruise. And the charges on NCL are similar to any other cruise line. 

The last time we were on the Joy, we were in a concierge suite. We have a cruise booked in a 2BR Haven suite on the Joy in April (hoping that it will sail on schedule). We saw some great prices and jumped right on them. Your 9 and 11 year olds will enjoy the private haven pool. The 3 year old would probably appreciate the kids splash pool on the pool deck more. Enroll all of your kids in the Splash Academy kids club as soon as you embark and let them go on the first night when cruise-long friendships are established. 

• Like 1

I would suggest getting a room in the Haven Proper, meaning not  ones that are not spread out over  the Ship, but do have complete access to the Haven.  with little ones, having your room adjacent to the Haven will be more convenient than walking from other decks and going back and forth from room to Haven.  think they have 2 bedrooms on one of the 2 decks that the Haven is actually located.   ENJOY

• Like 1

Congrats on reaching such a momentous milestone- you deserve a grand celebration!

My husband and I were on Bliss (Sister to Joy) last summer and we have thought about bringing our kids, but will wait until they all turn 3. We went through a few of the items that would make it key for our decision:

1) The Room- we’d squish them into the small room/bathroom. They’ll be fine and probably stay up way too late watching movies and playing games.

2) The Haven Restaurant- sure the perks come with the room, but the Haven restaurant is so convenient (need to put that 3 year old down? Maybe one parent leaves early and then the butler will bring the meal- the staff will arrange it. I had morning sickness on our cruise last year and stayed in the room but asked my husband to bring something back. Our amazing butler brought it before my husband got his meal.) 

3) the butler will spoil the kids and make them feel so welcome.

4) the concierge will make it easy for you to do anything- change dinner reservations, add on a show, update an excursion. All so easy.

5) the activities for kids are great - the laser tag will likely be popular at the older ages, as will the race track. (Maybe not 100 times but a few. These will cost more. Fun aqua park for all ages. Plus the kids club.

6) entertainment: the older ones may like the paint and sip (n/a for them), the escape room, -these types of things may be an additional cost. There is also the family comedian. Based on the jokes I overheard, my kids would be cracking up.

things they may miss: characters, the familiarity of it all. 

have fun no matter the decision 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Sincere congrats for finishing your cancer treatment; that's fantastic!

I shouldn't even be posting on this thread because I have never cruised in a Haven on NCL, so I can't offer any personal experience.

But I have big dreams and someday, I will cruise in the Haven (harkens back to the days of the Titanic, where the Haven = 1st class). Unfortunately, I'm currently more of a "steerage class" passenger;

My Favorite Fierce Film Heroines Part II: Rose | The Art of Making Art

Good luck getting the info you need (I'm sure you will get some great advice/experience wrt the Haven on this thread) to make your decision. And, happy sailing to you and your family also!

Haha, that’s awesome. We haven’t done the luxe route either 😂but we have also been quarantined since before quarantining was cool due to my chemo treatments and compromised immune system so we haven’t done much of anything this past year and a half so when we do go back to traveling we are going big! 🙌

• Like 2