New health Protocols

emam

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

The allocation is haphazard, my sister who is 95 is waiting for an appointment, a neighbough of hers is 92 and had her first jab a week ago. Let's  hope it improves when the Oxford vaccination is approved.

My 94 year old mother, whilst extremely complimentary about how the entire vaccination was managed, did feel that being made to stand outside in a queue for 20 minutes was somewhat unreasonable, given that the clinic knew that everyone coming was going to be somewhat elderly. 

Thanks Avril, that’s good to know.

Ann, I've done it again - posted in the Christmas Greetings thread. So sorry. All the food I've eaten over the last couple of days has gone to my fingers now. Diet starts tomorrow (again).

Best wishes.

Jane

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2020 at 7:43 PM, molecrochip said:

They've also announced restart dates for their other three ships.

I'm expecting a very positive announcement.

I wonder when P&O are planning to make their next announcement, whether it be good news or bad? Seems they’ve stayed quiet for December to avoid dampening Christmas spirits maybe? 

13 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I wonder when P&O are planning to make their next announcement, whether it be good news or bad? Seems they’ve stayed quiet for December to avoid dampening Christmas spirits maybe? 

I guess they just don't know, what with Southampton being in tier 4 and further lockdowns predicted, but it can all change in a heartbeat. 

We need a positive twist first really, like the vaccines being effective etc before they can lay out real plans. 

Lets keep our fingers crossed for some positivity. 

Andy 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I guess they just don't know, what with Southampton being in tier 4 and further lockdowns predicted, but it can all change in a heartbeat. 

We need a positive twist first really, like the vaccines being effective etc before they can lay out real plans. 

Lets keep our fingers crossed for some positivity. 

Andy 

Hopefully the Astra Zenica vaccine will get approval soon and then they may be able to ramp up the vaccine distribution because it does not have the same refrigeration requirements. 🙏🙏

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I really feel for them as they are in an impossible position at the moment. On the positive side we are in the foothills of a vaccine roll out, but on the negative side it’s going to take a very long time to get everyone vaccinated and meanwhile the virus is mutating and infection rates are soaring. As a result, they will have no more clue than we do as to when it will be safe or practical to resume cruising. My gut feel is that it won’t be any time soon. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I really feel for them as they are in an impossible position at the moment. On the positive side we are in the foothills of a vaccine roll out, but on the negative side it’s going to take a very long time to get everyone vaccinated and meanwhile the virus is mutating and infection rates are soaring. As a result, they will have no more clue than we do as to when it will be safe or practical to resume cruising. My gut feel is that it won’t be any time soon. 

With this new variant virus running rampant, I don’t think there’s any way they can consider a restart at the present time. 

This new variant does seem to be very infectious. Places that had previously seen low infection rates are now going through the roof, so it looks as if something has changed. Either people suddenly changed their behaviour or the virus changed its behaviour. One thing’s for sure if the variant is really that infectious, there’d be a big risk to health if it found its way on to a closed community like a cruise ship.

it’s a bad situation, and I think the next couple of months are going to be grim - a restart announcement would be badly timed in January or February.

Maybe things will start to look better when a chunk of the population is vaccinated, but that’s some months away. A very long time for the cruise companies, I’m sad to say 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 5

Ryanair has an incredibly irresponsible advert on TV at present. They depict families in beach resorts, saying that the vaccine rollout has started and encouraging people to book summer holidays this year. They end with the tag line ‘Jab and Go’. What they omit mentioning is that the people depicted in those scenes are highly unlikely to get the jab much before 2022 and certainly not by this summer!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Ryanair has an incredibly irresponsible advert on TV at present. They depict families in beach resorts, saying that the vaccine rollout has started and encouraging people to book summer holidays this year. They end with the tag line ‘Jab and Go’. What they omit mentioning is that the people depicted in those scenes are highly unlikely to get the jab much before 2022 and certainly not by this summer!

Unbelievable, they must know that it is virtually impossible to have even all of the over 50s vaccinated by summer and much less likely the families that they are targeting.   Some people will still choose to book and go as shown on the BBC report of many skiers leaving a ski resort to avoid being forced to quarantine.

I totally agree. It's shameless marketing in bad taste. I know these companies are on their knees, and are looking at inventive ways to recoup some of their huge losses, but think how the families of those who have lost loved ones must feel. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive but surely, while we're still struggling to contain this horrific virus, it's a bit too soon for such a glib strap line. 

Best wishes all.

Jane

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I thought that. I didn't say anything as nobody else would think  Ryanair would exhibit bad taste.

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Hopefully the Astra Zenica vaccine will get approval soon and then they may be able to ramp up the vaccine distribution because it does not have the same refrigeration requirements. 🙏🙏

In addition, we are told that UK has bought 100 million doses and are ready to go as soon as it is approved. 🙂

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

In addition, we are told that UK has bought 100 million doses and are ready to go as soon as it is approved. 🙂

Hopefully we will know later today or tomorrow, the light at the end of the tunnel should start getting a bit nearer.

• Like 5

Totally agree about the Ryanair advert being in bad taste, but to be frank, nothing MoL does surprises me.

I am actually becoming a bit more optimistic about the chances of going on holiday again towards the end of next year - I've started looking at land based Caribbean holidays for next November/December. However, when push comes to shove, will I actually make a booking! 

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I totally agree. It's shameless marketing in bad taste. I know these companies are on their knees, and are looking at inventive ways to recoup some of their huge losses, but think how the families of those who have lost loved ones must feel. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive but surely, while we're still struggling to contain this horrific virus, it's a bit too soon for such a glib strap line. 

Best wishes all.

Jane

It's a bit difficult for them, their only reason to exist is to provide people with holiday flights and holidays.  So if they don't advertise they don't make sales, and the TV companies also lose revenue, glib strap line or not they are at least helping the economy.

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I know - all you say is true. I told you I was being over-sensitive!

Have a good day.

Best wishes.

Jane

You are not being over sensitive, it is a very difficult situation we are in and people have so many different views and opinions. In your position seeing the very worst of this terrible virus it is understandable that you will feel bad about what could be seen as irresponsible advertising to some. Myself and many others appreciate what the NHS and its workers have to put up with on a daily basis. Plus the information you post gives us an insight into what is really happening behind the scenes as opposed to the conjecture and media drivel.

• Like 3

Thanks so much Phil - I really appreciate your kind words.

I'm just off to work now - there will be no new news today but we want to have a get-together so we are ready for the coming week.

Worryingly, a call has just gone out to all local GPs asking for help in A&E at our 2 local hospitals as they are inundated. That's how bad it is in North London. Right. I must go.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Jane

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree about the Ryanair advert being in bad taste, but to be frank, nothing MoL does surprises me.

I am actually becoming a bit more optimistic about the chances of going on holiday again towards the end of next year - I've started looking at land based Caribbean holidays for next November/December. However, when push comes to shove, will I actually make a booking! 

We have never flown Ryan air and will never do so. When booking flights we normally fly BA and in occasion easyJet. They may cost a bit more, but we have no intention of giving our money to a company that treats customers with such contempt .

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have never flown Ryan air and will never do so. When booking flights we normally fly BA and in occasion easyJet. They may cost a bit more, but we have no intention of giving our money to a company that treats customers with such contempt .

We used to fly Ryanair until one day they left us stranded - we vowed then to never use them again, and have not done so for the past 16 years.

Our current favourite is Jet2 - great staff both on the ground and in the air, and their handling of refunds during the crisis has, in the main, been exemplary. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

it is a very difficult situation we are in and people have so many different views and opinions.

Too true Phil and people tend to view things that are suitable to their needs.

When will the vaccine be out ? can I go out?  Companies will do the same.

I was reading about a guy on a local forum and he was happily telling everyone what

a nice time he had over Christmas in Whitby . Now a few people berated him on the 

fact we are TIER3 and called it irresponsible of him .

His response was he had been covid tested and the rules are "Avoid " travel not that 

you cannot travel .. making things suit his needs .

I was also reading about the 400 UK skiers on holiday in Switzerland .

They were told to isolate for 10 days due to the new covid . Over half of them have 

fled overnight under the cover of darkness to avoid doing so. No doubt they will also

have a "valid" excuse for doing so . Sooner the vaccine is deployed the better if this 

us "All In This Together " :classic_unsure:

• Like 5

It's funny how we all view different airlines.  I can't comment on Ryanair because I have never flown with them but my only trip with Easyjet was a return business trip Liverpool to Belfast and the return journey ensured that I never travelled with them again.  I had the misfortune to be travelling back when there was a football match in Liverpool and a large number of football fans were on the plane.  Easyjet staff seemed to be intent on selling as much beer to the football supporters as they could, most of the beer was not drunk but used to spray around the plane so even though many passengers were business travellers we all disembarked smelling like a brewery. 

I am not a fan of BA either because I have never done a return journey with them when I they have not managed to lose my luggage on one leg of the journey.  My sister still laughs about how she and her husband came to pick up up from Manchester and were starting to think that we had missed the plane because we were so late coming through so she found a helpful BA person who kindly checked and confirmed that we had been on the plane, so my sister immediately said that we must have lost our luggage and the BA lady came through to the arrivals hall and called our name then went out and told them that we would be out in a few minutes we were just filling out the report for lost luggage.

Edited by Josy1953

23 minutes ago, kalos said:

Too true Phil and people tend to view things that are suitable to their needs.

When will the vaccine be out ? can I go out?  Companies will do the same.

I was reading about a guy on a local forum and he was happily telling everyone what

a nice time he had over Christmas in Whitby . Now a few people berated him on the 

fact we are TIER3 and called it irresponsible of him .

His response was he had been covid tested and the rules are "Avoid " travel not that 

you cannot travel .. making things suit his needs .

I was also reading about the 400 UK skiers on holiday in Switzerland .

They were told to isolate for 10 days due to the new covid . Over half of them have 

fled overnight under the cover of darkness to avoid doing so. No doubt they will also

have a "valid" excuse for doing so . Sooner the vaccine is deployed the better if this 

us "All In This Together " :classic_unsure:

I was watching Calendar on TV where the police were out in Leeds train station (tier 3) trying to deter people from going into York (Tier 2) boozing, most of them just quoted the rules saying they "should not" travel, some were getting aggressive asking the police why they had nothing better to do.

• Like 2

I find these tier allocations quite amusing when they have just taken bits of regions in the south and excluded other areas from the higher tier, at least until last minute sometimes.  Strange how they said they could not possibly do that with the North, insisting all regions had to be treated the same throughout the region.  Having said that, although we were (and still are) way down on numbers compared to other parts of our overall region, I have never heard any complaints about that either on the Media or locally, and it has in fact done us good.  It was not surprising how the numbers increased in the South East, including London, as they were increasing all the time when they were declining elsewhere in the country.  Just seems to me that Boris was far too scared of his right wingers (who were complaining bitterly against controls) to "disappoint" them by introducing controls when they needed to be increased.  Irrespective of the new strain, which may well be transmitting more quickly, the increase in numbers were totally clear and well known well before any comment on the new strain that had arisen. 

Edited by tring