Norwegian Fjords cruise

chrismakris

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

We cruised Eclipse in May and had fantastic weather! It really is the luck of the draw to some degree...We had sunshine every day, it was cool when you stood in the shade but so bright. We saw snow when we did the Flam railway which was also really nice.

Like Alaska, you need to pack layers for four seasons and then just enjoy....

We sailed at the beginning of July 2009. It was cold and wet in Norway. When we reached Iceland, they had had a snow fall the previous day.

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We have one booked August 2021 (Norway, 9 nights on Silhouette).  Hoping that one goes!  But they do not offer the same cruise in 2022 except earlier in the year.  And fewer nights.  I guess if we have to change I would do mid-summer to get the warmest weather and most daylight.

We booked the August 26th in a sunset veranda. Always wanted to do the sunset.

If you search ‘Celebrity Eclipse Norway and Ireland drone’ on YouTube you will see some wonderful shots taken when we were in Norway in early May. The photographer had managed to get permission to use his drone resulting in something far more spectacular than usual videos.

Just a final hint for your cruise, book Tuscan Grill on nights where you are leaving ports...As it doesn’t go dark until late you have fantastic wake views as you exit the Fjords but stay warm and very comfortable...

• Like 2

We did one cruise in mid July and one in late June (for the summer solstice). Both were great and we lucked out with weather, though the late June was slightly drier. Wear layers and enjoy!

a few highlights included the aquarium in Alesund (easy to do on your own and there is a bus that picks up and drops off right at the port), the Viking ship museum in Oslo was also great, and of course the fish market in Bergen. 

We did it in late May 2018 on Royal. Weather was great in most places but in Molde it was just a terrible day but by and large we really enjoyed it all and the water falls were full. The Seven Sisters had all 7 falls going and the captain stopped there for us and did a 360 so everyone could see it all.  Seven Sisters on one side, 3 suitors on the other. Just amazing.  Weather everywhere is always hit and miss so don't let that be a major influence. Dress in layers and bring a rain jacket.   Below is the link to my coffee table book from that trip.

https://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/7641745/060951baaa90432f6df7c58700c9968171c6ef41

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

We did it in late May 2018 on Royal. Weather was great in most places but in Molde it was just a terrible day but by and large we really enjoyed it all and the water falls were full. The Seven Sisters had all 7 falls going and the captain stopped there for us and did a 360 so everyone could see it all.  Seven Sisters on one side, 3 suitors on the other. Just amazing.  Weather everywhere is always hit and miss so don't let that be a major influence. Dress in layers and bring a rain jacket.   Below is the link to my coffee table book from that trip.

https://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/7641745/060951baaa90432f6df7c58700c9968171c6ef41

If you are selling your coffee table book, may I respectfully ask that you contribute to my retirement account!  🤣

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

If you are selling your coffee table book, may I respectfully ask that you contribute to my retirement account!  🤣

Nope, not selling it all, just sharing some images from that trip.  I really don't think there would be much of a market for coffee table book that included pictures of my family.

On 12/26/2020 at 7:57 PM, Mr. Click said:

This was lovely, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Blossom and flowers are superb in May and June and tbh the weather can actually be better (maybe cooler but less rain and mist) - Also the falls are fuller.. But the top roads can be closed.

However if it does rain or a low front moves in it may get stuck there - had good luck so far... 

Its warmer in July but busier and too many families and children.. And when it rains it rains like crazy and then mists over.. The roads can also be blocked.. this time by caravans 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 12:00 PM, Roxydog15 said:

Oh, and only the hardiest used the hot tubs.  It could get pretty cold on the balcony as you might go out there before a shorex which could be very early in the day, or in the evening.  But still was nice to get out there in your pj's to enjoy the sailing into the fjords, which very early was a mix of rocky beaches to increasingly more dramatic hills, etc.  We sailed with RCCLin their junior suite which was a great deal.  Not so lucky on C.  Oh well.  Still prefer C though. Enjoy!

We just booked RC over Celebrity because RC goes to the North Cape for June 2022.  It killed me not being able to do this with Celebrity as we much prefer it, but we wanted the North Cape ports so we had to with RC.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 4:30 AM, naturelovergirl said:

Some thing to consider with Norway- if you are at a port where you plan to do the Trollstigen or some of the other famous National Tourist Routes... those roads will need to be open from the snow. 
So just do some research of when each of the routes tend to open. It just depends on the year and weather.

(I had a friend who went on a fjords cruise in May and had this issue- many national scenic route roads were not open yet which affected excursions)

Agreed. We were on the first of the season April 27-May 4, 2019. The tour to Mount Dalsnibba Summit was shortened significantly due to road closures. I would wait until later in the season.

• Thanks 1