Vaccination Passport

Porcupine 52

I read an article yesterday that in Hawaii  Lieutenant Governor Josh Green has said that he would ask Governor Ige to approve travel both trans-Pacific and inter-island for anyone who has had a COVID vaccination without further requirements beginning February 1, 2021. They are calling this the  'vaccination passport'.  A person has to wonder if this is a sign of things to come in the travel industry?  Maybe it would be on your boarding pass....Or maybe like your TSA pre approved?

An International Vaccination Record book has been available for many years. I have had one and maintained it since going to sea in 1975. It is often referred to as the yellow vaccination book.

Pre-covid we were rarely required to produce records, as very few countries had mandatory vaccination requirements, but post-covid, I expect that will change. When a ship enters a country with mandatory vaccination requirements, when requesting "Free Pratique", the ship presents the passports and vaccination booklet for every crew member and pax.

• Like 1

I have a vague memory when I traveled to the Middle East with my folks over 50 years ago having a book with all of the vaccinations we had to have.  Not sure if any one looked at it when my folks gave them our passports.

Assuming that things are going to much more high tech today than it was 50 plus years ago.  As a young pup many years ago I do remember one of the shots made me as sick as a dog.

1 hour ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I have a vague memory when I traveled to the Middle East with my folks over 50 years ago having a book with all of the vaccinations we had to have.  Not sure if any one looked at it when my folks gave them our passports.

Assuming that things are going to much more high tech today than it was 50 plus years ago.  As a young pup many years ago I do remember one of the shots made me as sick as a dog.

We were vaccinated for everything, so never paid any attention to what each port required. Unfortunately I can't recall if the Middle East had mandatory vaccination requirements in those days.

When considering a method for tracking, you need to consider that it must be consistently available world-wide, so while high tech solutions may work in some countries, they may not work everywhere. I'll suggest that while technology has been around for many years, the reason we still use the old reliable paper booklet is that it is always available, even when connectivity and chip readers, etc aren't.

Time will tell what scheme Governments will implement. Even if we have to use a high tech solution, we will maintain our low tech record books, which have worked for 45 yrs.🙂

We've maintained ours since my days in the Air Force.  We had to get the entries transferred before World Cruise 19, the books were falling apart.  The new paper is heavier stock.  I note that we never asked to produce them, even though several countries had a yellow fever vaccine requirement if you had previously ben in a yellow fever country.  There are several in on the South American continent.